The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 PM

Default Elliot Randall / Reeling in the years

This may belong in a different thread section? Few years back I stumbled on this Video of Studio Musician Elliot Randall playing the Lead Solo on the Song He made famous Decades Earlier. This famous Guitar Solo should Likely go down as one of the top 30 greatest Rock Guitar Solos of all time. Just Blown away how Elliot just plays in this video with such a jovial smile and nails it Down perfectly—Tone and all. I grew up a S Dan fan when they hit the scene. But I never knew Elliot was the Guitarist that played that Guitar on the Recording until I stumbled on the Video. Just thought I’d share. https://youtu.be/vKunqSLItsg
Old 05-06-2022, 10:11 PM

I could do a deep dive on all of the great musicianship of Steely Dan's recordings. They were *very* particular on what they wanted to show up on their recordings. I've listened to youtube videos where they described bringing in one set of musicians to record a song...and then bringing in a second set to record it again shortly thereafter. They knew what they wanted, and waited until they got what they imagined in their head to show up on tape.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
I could do a deep dive on all of the great musicianship of Steely Dan's recordings. They were *very* particular on what they wanted to show up on their recordings. I've listened to youtube videos where they described bringing in one set of musicians to record a song...and then bringing in a second set to record it again shortly thereafter. They knew what they wanted, and waited until they got what they imagined in their head to show up on tape.
This is more or less the subject of the "Classic Albums" video on the making of Aja. Well worth a listen/view for anyone who hasn't already (or wants to yet again !)
Old 05-07-2022, 06:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Love it! It was a solo that everyone seems to love. My band used to return from breaks by playing just the dual-lead section and never failed to get people out of their seats. This is a great example of "idiom:" Elliot played it originally so he can, forty-eight years later, reproduce his own solo wo9nderfully. I love the little liberties he takes while holding to the solo almost verbatim.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this video, it’s one of my all time favorite guitar parts and it was great to see him perform it all these years later.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:42 AM

Do people even make 1st albums like that anymore?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-07-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Now, that's a Happy Guitar face - truly enjoying the moment!

Did anyone catch the credits; Kelly Fagen Eakins - Donald's daughter or sister?
Old 05-07-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the story of the Solo for Peg. They went through seven top session guitarists before settling on Jay Graydon. One of those was Larry Carlton, who played the awesomely brilliant solo on Kid Charlemagne. The line of guitarists on the Dan albums and Fagen’s solo albums is unmatched. My son knows one of the guys who worked on Morph The Cat. He said Fagen is a total perfectionist. Grateful for that obsessive nature that gave us so much great music.

Last edited by Zaam; 05-07-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:06 PM

I saw them live around Spring 1974 or so. I think it was in Waterbury (CT). Different guitarists then, though-- Skunk Baxter, I think, Denny Diaz? For some reason my memory of that evening, although colorful, is a bit blurry.....

Still have all their vinyl from those days.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLefty View Post
I saw them live around Spring 1974 or so. I think it was in Waterbury (CT). Different guitarists then, though-- Skunk Baxter, I think, Denny Diaz? For some reason my memory of that evening, although colorful, is a bit blurry.....

Still have all their vinyl from those days.
Elliot was never a member of Dan - he was brought in as a hired gun. He was interviewed for Guitar Player Magazine in that period and spoke of his life as a studio musician in demand. He kept storage lockers in L.A. and N.Y. with three guitars, his signature Strat with humbuckers, a Gibson electric, and a Martin D-18, as well as effects and amps, in each. He said he lived on planes between the two cities. He had cartage folks deliver his gear to the studio and often went directly from airport to studio to airport, sleeping on the planes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-08-2022, 07:53 AM

Denny Diaz & Jeff Baxter were regular members of the band on the first album. I don't know the background on why they felt the need to bring in a session guitarist but in this case it was certainly a good call.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-19-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
You go back, Jack. And do it again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN