The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2022, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

This is pretty close to what my blue one looked like in person, no pics of the red.
Emerald 007.jpg
Old 04-24-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Red, amber and blue weave in filtered morning daylight

IMG_1437.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-24-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Color choice is a personal thing. When I ordered my red X10 (shortly after they came out with that new design in 2018), I was concerned that the color might be "too bright." I would definitely call it subtle. This was prior to Emerald offering the Vibrant Weave. I requested a bit more black in the edging and trim on the guitar, and they did a great job with that. I wanted something that gave some difference between the top and back/sides, so I ordered the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides - love it. Not sure if Emerald will do that finish these days. Back when they offered the Opus (Crystal Ice back and sides, glossy top) and the Artisan (all gloss), I bought an Opus X7 and really like that difference between the top and sides/back... so when I ordered the custom X10 (short scale, 24.6", 13 fret), I requested that Crystal Ice finish.

With the 3D Builder, you do get a good idea on the color on the body, but the veneers are before they put a finish on them, so that will look different.

Also, look through the Friday Shipping Videos to get some idea of how the different colors and veneers will look in more typical lighting... if they over-light the guitar, Alistair's skintone would be blown away. Perhaps still a bit lighter than typical room lighting, but closer.

The Lauro Preto veneer on my X20 looks almost dull in typical room light, but really pops with any direct light on it.

Back to the original post/question: I prefer the red over the blue, but that's just one guy's opinion. Pick a color you like and let Emerald build you something special.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

My carbon only one is green and is indeed dark and barely green in room lighting. Bright light it is obviously green. Rarely see the intense green of the beauty pics.

The vibrant weave looks shockingly colorful but I have never seen one in person, just the videos and studio lighting @ emerald. Maybe they tone down a bit in person?

This is not an issue with the wood veneered ones I have for some reason (QM and Mahogany) for some reason. The wood grain shows clearly regardless of the lighting.

Last edited by redi; 05-04-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post

This is not an issue with the wood veneered ones for some reason. The wood grain shows clearly regardless of the lighting.
Not completely true, at least on all woods. Some do darken up. My Padauk and Cocobolo did tremendously.
Oddly, my Black Quilted Maple looks great no matter what the light is....
I guess because it's a stain, instead of a paint coating.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
Not completely true, at least on all woods. Some do darken up. My Padauk and Cocobolo did tremendously.
Oddly, my Black Quilted Maple looks great no matter what the light is....
I guess because it's a stain, instead of a paint coating.
I totally agree with this as well. Any already dark colored veneers (cocobolo and ziricote from personal experience) are VERY much darker in person and normal ambient light. I remember being over the moon with the Emerald pro factory photos of the first cocobolo which led me to my first custom order.

The opening of the case at home was very underwhelming to the point of feeling disappointment for both the woody top and the amber back and sides. Only under bright lights (flash photography or stage lights) or direct sunlight does the beauty of dark veneers and colors come through.

Generally speaking, the lighter colored veneers like a quilted maple or royal ebony do well. I owned a royal ebony X10 that really popped in normal ambient light. It remains my favorite veneer for custom Emeralds though I currently do not own one.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I totally agree with this as well. Any already dark colored veneers (cocobolo and ziricote from personal experience) are VERY much darker in person and normal ambient light. I remember being over the moon with the Emerald pro factory photos of the first cocobolo which led me to my first custom order.

The opening of the case at home was very underwhelming to the point of feeling disappointment for both the woody top and the amber back and sides. Only under bright lights (flash photography or stage lights) or direct sunlight does the beauty of dark veneers and colors come through.

Generally speaking, the lighter colored veneers like a quilted maple or royal ebony do well. I owned a royal ebony X10 that really popped in normal ambient light. It remains my favorite veneer for custom Emeralds though I currently do not own one.

I LOVE cocobolo wood. But yeah when I got my one Cocobolo top, it was underwhelming. My Padauk, no. That was equally as stunning as I was hoping, even though it was darker.

The odd thing, a black quilted maple I bought used....that looks great even under low light.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I LOVE cocobolo wood. But yeah when I got my one Cocobolo top, it was underwhelming.
For the rest of us, it was easily worth it to hear Alistair say “cocobolo” in the shipping video.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
For the rest of us, it was easily worth it to hear Alistair say “cocobolo” in the shipping video.
Music, isn’t it?
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-06-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Looks to me like the latest shipping video, they turned down the lighting.
Take a look at one from 3-4 weeks ago. The guitars all just POP on the rack. The video from May 6th here, they still look great, but MUCH more subdued (and I think "realistic").
Old 05-06-2022, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks to me like the latest shipping video, they turned down the lighting.
Take a look at one from 3-4 weeks ago. The guitars all just POP on the rack. The video from May 6th here, they still look great, but MUCH more subdued (and I think "realistic").
That’s a big improvement, isn’t it? I think ‘realistic’ is exactly the right word.
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-13-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I know it's not on the ballot, but I vote for black carbon weave. Good enough for the Model T and good enough for me...
Love it.... perfect old and new contrast!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber