The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-09-2022, 06:07 PM

Default Need Help With Cracked Spruce Top

Hey folks! I was given this guitar for free, and would like to be able to fix it. It's a Fender CD-100 with a laminated spruce top. Yes, it's a cheap guitar, but I'm really more interested in gaining the experience of fixing something like this. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent tutorial showing me how to do so? All the ones that I found are only showing how to fix cracks that are along the grain.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:54 PM

Not really reparable other than replacing the top.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:38 AM

This might turn it into a playable but not pretty guitar. I can't see inside your guitar so this is a maybe.

Remove Saddle, Heat Bridge with iron and remove with pallet/putty knife, Remove glue residue

Put titebond or similar carpenters glue in Crack, wipe off extra with damp cloth inside and out. Put wax paper and caul over crack, clamp with 3 or 4 deep C clamps from soundhole. Do a dry run first to ensure Crack closes tight.

When dry, glue/clamp some veneer over Crack from the inside to strengthen Crack, Glue bridge back on. Replace Saddle.

This is a lot of work for a low priced guitar. Since it is a 12 string there is a lot of pull on it. I would tune it low, light strings.
If you have to start buying clamps, etc., You may be better buying a used one at a yard sale.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:39 AM

Well if you are going to tune down with light strings, the crack looks to be at the trailing edge of the bridge plate. An extension below the plate with the same thickness of the plate will have to be glued in before the veneer gets glued on straddling across the old plate and the new piece. Or if this is just a learning experience and you want to do a lot of repair, you could remove the old plate and replace it with a new one.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:15 AM

Default a thought

I have never seen a repair like this one needs. I am not a professional repair person. My guess is that a larger bridge plate and a new, deeper bridge that bridges the broken top would restore the instrument to playability, something that straddles the break inside for a good half-inch and outside as much as can be done, maybe a bridge with an extended 'v' at the bottom.

Heaven only knows what sort of glue was used to build it.

If it was mine, I'd glue it up and turn it into a wall hanging.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair