The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2022, 08:49 AM

Default Guild, Anthem, old guy

A month ago I bought a new Guild D-40 Traditional Dred. What a nice instrument! I don’t recall having a Mahogony guitar (not going to count the martin 0015 ? That I traded for and sent down the road in a week) bury it really sounded nice.
Anyway, I bought this with no electronics as I wanted the L R Bagg Anthem system. The shop I bought the Guild from ordered the Anthem at the same time, and after a few issues with ordering the wrong system, shipping delays…..a month later it arrived.
I have not played the instrument much as I wanted to get it set up when the electronics were installed (trying to learn how to be patient) but I broke down and tore the saddle out (sic) jammed it into the vise and lowered it. Restrung and…wow! Played so nice!
Then the Anthem arrived…It looked like it was going to be 2 weeks before I could have the system installed. But, having already failed the patience test already I decided to install the electronics myself. I spent a few days filp-flopping and gave up. Lot’s of research (some here, of course).
Had to shave a brace (shudder), drill 3 holes (sweating now) mount and install the bits and bobs, shaved the saddle again to compensate for the Piezzo thickness under the saddle.
But it all fits in the Guild, looks like it came with the electronics installed and it plays and sounds as nice as I had hoped!
I am surprised and pleased that it went so well, but the next time I am taking it to my Luthiers. Lotta stress and then add in that I may have had to pay for additional repairs caused by myself. These folks (that I use) know what they are doing and they have a reputation for doing it correctly. Happy that I did It myself, but going to use professionals next time. Be happy to relate what I did for the install for your information, but that is all it is going to be worth. Yes, you CAN (hope anyway) do this yourself, but drilling holes and making changes on expensive instruments is a risk.
It’s like: “Don’t try this at home” kinda thing…..
But it worked and it sounds so good……..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair