The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-03-2022, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I just scored a Klos full size hybrid carbon for under 1k lightly used with a sound port and a k&k installed.

I'm pretty impressed at the price point. It compares to my journey rt660 in size (although the journey has the edge in ergonomics). The Klos is lighter not as deep but with more dread like lower and upper bout. The tone is more dread like and has
Old 03-03-2022, 10:02 PM

I second the Lava Me 2 suggestion. I’ve been playing guitar a long time, and have a bunch, but the Lava Me 2 is my current traveler. Great sound, great price, and no worries about weather. As an added bonus, it looks pretty cool and sounds great plugged in!
Old 03-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

You may want to try to find a used Composite Acoustics (CA) Cargo (or larger OX). Fwiw, Peavey took over CA in 2010. I’ve had a couple of CAs and still have an ‘08 Cargo which I really like as my travel and couch guitar. I will never part with it. It punches way above its weight. It’s 1-3/4” width at the nut, 14 fret, 22.5” scale length. The neck shape is quite close to the feel of a Taylor. If you were to do a search on this forum, arguably you’d find that the Cargo is among the select few CFers for best tone and playability. The other might be an older Emerald X7 as Captain. Jim recommended. That said, I haven’t played an X7 but have owned other Emerald guitars...I’m partial to the Cargo, so I think a Cargo would be perfect for your needs.

It might take a bit of time to find one, but likely, you can for under $1k. Btw, for size reference, the Cargo fits into a gigbag for a Baby Taylor. I know, because I’d once owned a BT which got smashed by a convertible top going into the trunk where the BT was, so I immediately replaced it with a Cargo, tried the smaller BT gigbag which fit better than the one that came with the Cargo. The Cargo is a winner and most CF aficionados know it. When the guy behind CA, Ellis Seal resurfaced with McPherson, he created the McPherson “Touring” CF model which is Cargo-like where’re some feel that it is what the Cargo should have been. Maybe, maybe not, but for sure, the Touring will cost a good bit more. Did I say that the Cargo in a winner?

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-04-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Hey there ifret. As stated, your budget will most likely not get what you are looking for.

I live in northern MI (Cadillac area) and have an Emerald X7 that I would be willing to let you try out. If you would like to meet somewhere public thats not too far, drop me a PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:59 AM

Thank you again for your responses/help.

After seeing all the responses, the most obvious being I'd have to put far more into a nice CF than I wanted to (for travel), I decided to go a different route.

I'm going to stick with my faithful GSMe Koa Plus. Travel is one of the reasons I got it, so why not use it for that. I was able to get a structured gig bag at a great price from Taylor, which will be smaller and lighter in the motorhome than the Aero Case. Size and weight makes a difference in our new motorhome (which we love).

The feedback I got from all of you helped me reevaluate what I wanted/needed and I've concluded that my beloved GSM should be traveling with me. I really didn't love the Martin LXK2 that I was using and I sold it to someone locally who wanted it for playing by the campfire.

Thanks again, this thread was helpful to me, and I hope it will be helpful to others seeking this sort of information.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 03-07-2022, 10:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Your reasoning makes sense. Happy trails and pickin’!
Old 03-07-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Your reasoning makes sense. Happy trails and pickin’!
Thank you so much!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber