The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-25-2022, 10:14 AM

Question UPDATE: Newbie to CF - Travel Suggestions

I've played a few CF guitars, while visiting Elderly Instruments, but I was not serious for one at the time. I was generally impressed with them. I'm a newbie to the CF world.

My husband and I have a 30' motor home (B+) that we take trips in, and I also attend a couple dulcimers festivals each year. So, I like to have a guitar with me. I have a GS mini-e Koa Plus, which I love at home, but it's even a little big for our motorhome (we have a small closet for the Instruments, and the guitar has to share room with the dulcumers). I also have a Martin LXK2 which is decent for my purposes. But, I've often wondered if there's a CF out there that would serve my purpose. Here's some parameters:

1. I'm an exclusive fingerpicker (with fingerpicks)
2. I love the Taylor slim neck profile
3. I can tolerate both a 1 3/4" and a 1 11/16" nut width
4. Budget is less than $1,000
5. Looking for nice tone
6. Don't care for the ones with removable necks

Is there a CF guitar I should take a look at or are my parameters out of the question?
Again, please be kind to a newbie.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 03-07-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

It's the $1k budget restriction that is going foil you. Even used you're going to be lucky to find something that low.

The Journey line might get you down there (used) but you don't like the detachable neck. Of course you can always leave it attached. They do make a model that has a fixed neck although I have no experience with them.

The one guitar that comes to mind with the thin Taylor-esque neck is the RainSong with an N1 neck. But again, good luck finding one in your price range. Keep an eye on Reverb, ebay, craigslist or Facebook marketplace and you might get lucky.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:40 AM

You didn't mention scale length -- so I will presume you are comfortable with a standard scale length. In that case an Emerald X20 or McPherson Sable make for very lovely all-rounders. Tone and aesthetic a bit different between the two, but both excellent, differences a matter of taste (or mood, I have both and like both).

If you need short scale, look to a Rainsong, their OM versions are mostly available in a 12-fret short scale configuration (though I understand you can also easily order a standard scale Rainsong OM if that's your preference, with a 6-8 week delivery time). I've never played that particular model but it gets lots of good reviews from owners. Rainsong also makes larger body guitars if that's your preference. Emerald will also do a custom short scale neck but with a hefty up-charge.

Your budget will be the constraint. All of these guitars, even in basic versions without electronics, will be in the $2500+ range (priced in same class as a 5- to 7-series Taylor or an 18- to 28-series Martin, as a reference). Emerald, McPherson, and Rainsong are all relatively modest production volumes (500-1000 guitars a year) with manufacturing either in US or Ireland, so boutique scale first world labor costs. Given that, one could argue their price points are arguably a good value compared to the rest of the boutique builder world -- a Santa Cruz or Collings or such would set you back quite a bit more.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There doesn't yet seem to be the equivalent of an Eastman in the carbon fiber guitar category, meaning very high quality premium product but with offshore manufacturing to bring the price points down. Carbon fiber is a pretty small part of the acoustic guitar market so it may be a long wait until we have an Eastman of carbon fiber.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I own a couple of Taylor guitars and a couple of McPherson CF guitars (both Sable and the smaller Touring). The McPhersons feel and play like the Taylors.

However, they are pretty far outside our budget in the $3k range. Other CF guitars I have played (Rainsong, Klos, and Emerald) all have their own feel that in my personal experience is not quite like Taylor. So the closest in my experience is the McPherson. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you other than maybe save some time looking since you want that Taylor feel and playability. They are all fine guitars though.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-25-2022, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will check out your suggestions and will have to consider putting more money into this too. You've been very helpful!

Old 02-25-2022, 01:13 PM

Given the small budget you stipulated, I would suggest looking into the Lava Me 2 guitar - about $800 and travel-sized.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Given the small budget you stipulated, I would suggest looking into the Lava Me 2 guitar - about $800 and travel-sized.
That model seems to get a lot of good press. I have never played one but I wouldn't expect it to have the feel of a Taylor in terms of the neck shape and such.

If the neck feel is less important (i.e. doesn't need to be like a Taylor), then all of these suggestions should be good to go.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-25-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

There was a thread last week discussing the Enya a bit...I think it's within your budget too. May want to check out that thread anyway.
Here it tis... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=640515
Old 02-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

If you ever come across a previous generation Emerald X7 (pre-2018), it might come in under $1k. It is a bit smaller than a GSmini, with a better tone (in my opinion). I had a GSmini that traveled by land (motorhome) and water (cruising boat), and was perfectly happy with that as my travel guitar... until I bought that X7.

Photo from 2016, with that guitar on the beach. Still the most comfortable acoustic guitar I own. 1 3/4" nut width, 24" scale.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If you ever come across a previous generation Emerald X7 (pre-2018), it might come in under $1k. It is a bit smaller than a GSmini, with a better tone (in my opinion). I had a GSmini that traveled by land (motorhome) and water (cruising boat), and was perfectly happy with that as my travel guitar... until I bought that X7.

Photo from 2016, with that guitar on the beach. Still the most comfortable acoustic guitar I own.

I have a very old (round center-hole) X7 and I will second that.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:05 AM

Hi there, good advice above here for sure. I think we “know” each other from another forum and you know I like my Taylor guitars. I dove down the CF rabbit hole a while ago. IIRC you tried a Rainsong a couple years ago as well. At that time Rainsong only made the N2 and NS necks(N2 in a 12fret). They have started making the N1 neck again as well and I just found one on Reverb after watching for a year or so in my preferred size(OM). It comes closest to the Taylor neck along with the McPherson. The McPherson has a nicer sound in my opinion, but at twice the weight and a larger size it probably doesn’t meet your requirements.
I also have a Blackbird Lucky 13, no longer produced but sometimes available used. Neck is a bit fuller than Taylor in my opinion but I have no issue going back and forth. It is smaller and would seem to meet your requirements except price of course.
I think you should look to play a Rainsong Parlor and a Rainsong with the N1 neck then you will know if the parlor with the N1 might work for you. Alternatively the Blackbird Lucky used or look at the Blackbird Savoy(not exactly CF but temp and humid resistant) and a nice tone too. The Savoy seemed too small to me the one time I tried one and it of course is pricey too.
Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions, we travel by motor home too.
Good luck in the search, I think it will take more $ but there are some fantastic choices. A call to Ted at LA Guitars would be prudent too.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:08 AM

The KLOS Hybrid Travel Guitar.

https://klosguitars.com/products/hts-guitar

Even though it has a detachable neck, doesn't mean you have to detach it. Just get a half-sized guitar case/gig bag. $839.00
Old 02-26-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

The Journey RT660 can be found close to your price range. It's bigger.than the OF660 travel and has a bolt on neck vs the quick detach system.

The neck is not Taylor size shape though. More of a D shape and thicker.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:04 PM

I'd second the previous x7 except that price have gone up I think. Might get lucky and find one under $1000 but more likely you'll spend just s touch more than that.
Incredibly comfortable and great sound!
Old 02-26-2022, 03:18 PM

Hey, thanks everyone, a lot to look into and consider. I really appreciate all the information.
You were all very helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber