The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD-Amicus

Yes, this is my second Amicus. The first was an Amicus with a scratchy surface to which I couldn't relate. This one is also a plain Jane black one but with a gloss surface, no pickup and much more to my liking. Some may disagree, but I really like that this diminutive Emerald comes in a very nice gig bag rather than a hardshell case. I'm a big fan of substantial gig bags and Emerald's gig bag in particular. Let me tell you, these are really cool little instruments; and I'm really surprised that other guitar manufacturers haven't copied this concept. I'd previously likened it to the birth of my son in that it filled a gap in my life that didn't previously exist. I could definitely see creating a whole repertoire around this instrument because it creates a very cool and unique tone that could easily stand on its own...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-Amicus-Blalck-Npu-7375-2.jpg (78.8 KB, 141 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-18-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Very cool. Congrats on the new Amicus! Looks like it would be fun to play. And being even smaller and lighter than an X7, maybe a good travel instrument?
Old 02-18-2022, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Very cool. Congrats on the new Amicus!
Thanks

Quote:
Looks like it would be fun to play.
Definitely.

Quote:
And being even smaller and lighter than an X7, maybe a good travel instrument?
Should be. It's like a mandolin on which one uses guitar chords...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-18-2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:53 AM

Nice buy!! Like the original “road trip” one that was sent around .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-19-2022, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

That Amicus looks like fun! Congrats!
Old 02-19-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Here’s Al Petteway wailing away on one, which appears to be tuned to DADGAD (or, more likely, CGCFGC)

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-19-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Here’s Al Petteway wailing away on one, which appears to be tuned to DADGAD (or, more likely, CGCFGC)

That gives me something to shoot for...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-20-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
To be able to play like Al Pettaway is something that most of us would love to shoot for.

What did you mean by a “scratchy surface”?
Old 02-20-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
To be able to play like Al Pettaway is something that most of us would love to shoot for.

What did you mean by a “scratchy surface”? Was that a much earlier version of the Amicus?
Old 02-20-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post

What did you mean by a “scratchy surface”? Was that a much earlier version of the Amicus?
I believe it was part of the Opus series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
The playability and tone of both series in their base/standard configuration will be the same.

Artisan series is all gloss carbon fiber weave, with numerous custom options such as a selection of vibrant colours, various wood top veneers, custom scale lengths and neck widths (this is where playability can change where Emerald can work with the client to help get exactly what they want), various electronics, etc. There is a wait time of several months upon order.

The Opus series is all black/grey carbon fiber weave with gloss top and 'crystal ice' finish on the back and sides (slightly pebbly). I believe electronics are not included, but can be added as the only option. I further believe Emerald produces Opus guitars to always have an inventory available with virtually no wait for those willing to forego the features of the Artisan series in what are still every bit as good as the Artisans in the base configuration.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-20-2022, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post

The Opus series of Emerald instruments had their "Crystal Ice" finish on the back and sides; it was a satin textured finish. I like that finish enough that I ordered it on the back and sides of the X10 I ordered, long after Emerald had discontinued their Opus series. It isn't the sandpaper feel that some makers use, but feels more like a small pebble texture to me. It adds just enough grip that the guitar doesn't slip on your leg, but you don't hear it as it rubs against your clothes.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:54 AM

Nice Amicus RP. Cool vibe with these little instruments for sure. I think they would fit right in with a bluegrassy type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The Opus series of Emerald instruments had their "Crystal Ice" finish on the back and sides; it was a satin textured finish. I like that finish enough that I ordered it on the back and sides of the X10 I ordered, long after Emerald had discontinued their Opus series. It isn't the sandpaper feel that some makers use, but feels more like a small pebble texture to me. It adds just enough grip that the guitar doesn't slip on your leg, but you don't hear it as it rubs against your clothes.
Wish they would still offer it because I also think it looks great. For CF guitars I think it makes sense to have the back and sides like that. The McPherson jobs truly do feel like sand paper though and I'm not sure I'm a fan of that (heard it is very expensive paint).
Old 02-20-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Nice Amicus RP. Cool vibe with these little instruments for sure. I think they would fit right in with a bluegrassy type of thing...
Most definitely....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-20-2022, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

Wish they would still offer it because I also think it looks great. For CF guitars I think it makes sense to have the back and sides like that. The McPherson jobs truly do feel like sand paper though and I'm not sure I'm a fan of that (heard it is very expensive paint).
If it isn't on their "3D Guitar Builder" site, it couldn't hurt to contact them direct and ask if you can still get the "Crystal Ice" back and sides. When I requested it, it was a no-cost change... and since it was originally on the Opus line, I assumed it was less expensive for them to produce compared to the standard gloss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber