The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2022, 12:21 PM

Default Odd issue with one channel of my Fishman SoloAmp

Set-up my SoloAmp a few weeks back after having it sitting in its case in a closet for a few years -- worked just fine before -- and now I only get any kind of signal in Channel 2 (for both the XLR and 1/4" inputs) when I really strum the guitar hard or peak-out the mic. In other words, only when really sending a strong signal through the channel. Otherwise, nothing. I'm no audio engineer, but this does tell me that there is at least a functional path for the signal -- it just isn't working normally, and I have no idea what conditions would exist that only let a very strong signal come through. (I hope this is clear...) Might be repair-shop time...
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-22-2022, 01:34 AM

Is the „Pad“ button engaged?
Old 01-22-2022, 03:34 PM

It does sound like the “Pad” is engaged on that channel. Does the clip light light up at all?
The Pad reduces the input sensitivity by 12dB (at least on SA330x) so that is a lot.

If it’s not the Pad, Fishman will fix it for $50 plus postage.
They will even tell you how to remove the preamp board so you don’t have to ship the whole head.

Good luck. Let’s us know how you make out. Cheers,

_Roger
Old 02-01-2022, 02:29 PM

Sorry for the delay here!
The pad switch is an obvious suspect but that's not the issue (unfortunately!). Interesting option for the Fishman repair... Might have to consider that -- thanks!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-01-2022, 04:00 PM

On the backside of the amp there are effects sends and returns for each channel. Using a 1/4" cable plug one end into the send and the other end into the return one channel at a time. You could also try crossing one channel to the other. If the sound returns give each jack a short squirt of DeOxit contact cleaner and insert and remove a 1/4" plug a few times to move the jack connections around a bit.

I have an old Tech21 guitar amp with an insert jack that did similar to what you describe. One of the jacks has a 'pass thru' contact which is normally closed with no plugs inserted to pass the audio between the jacks. This 'pass thru' contact had become dirty over time and did not make a good connection. You can also try plugging a guitar pedal into each of the return jacks to see if the amp is functional after the preamp stages. Be careful of volumes going in with an external pedal.

A squirt of DeOxit into each pad switch can't hurt to try either. Similar Behringer mixer switches have given me some issues of making good connections.

Last edited by MarkF_48; 02-01-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:49 PM

All fixed, folks -- Fishman sent me very clear instructions on how to access the front panel and clean-out the pots. When I had the panel open, the power ribbon connector seems to also have come off, which was a secondary problem, of course, that happened after the no-signal issue with channel 2. Anyway it's all back together and working fine. It's incredible what a tiny bit of dust/material can do!
Thanks all for your input too....

-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
soloamp