The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2022, 12:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Doug, after just listening to my Martin HD-28/Trance Amulet M-VT System installed with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy, back-to-back with my Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic 3.2 System, I've got to give the edge to the Trance system based on clarity and fullness of tone. Either system is a winner, and for players desiring a passive system, the Ultra Tonic 3.2 would be a good choice.
Ken, hi, I haven't been on here in a good long time. I trust you and yours are well.

Bring me up to date. Last time we spoke I believe you said you were getting into Dazzos. Is that still your fave these days, or are you more in the TA camp still?

I spoke to Teddy and was gonna go see him up in the Bay Area, but our travel plans changed.

Just curious where you're at these days. As I said, it's been an age and a half since I was in here.

All the Best,
Scott
Old 02-12-2022, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I've got to give the edge to the Trance system based on clarity and fullness of tone. Either system is a winner, and for players desiring a passive system, the Ultra Tonic 3.2 would be a good choice.
I see your point.

UltraTonic is a marvel of ingeniousness (is it right in english?).

A fun experiment would be instead of cancelling only the main mode around 100Hz.

To actually build a network of sensor to produce a natural "low mid scoop" by cancelling part of the upper lows/lower mids. (500-700 Hz)

Then one could have a balanced tone out of K&K style pickup with no preamp, no EQ required.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Ken, hi, I haven't been on here in a good long time. I trust you and yours are well.

Bring me up to date. Last time we spoke I believe you said you were getting into Dazzos. Is that still your fave these days, or are you more in the TA camp still?

I spoke to Teddy and was gonna go see him up in the Bay Area, but our travel plans changed.

Just curious where you're at these days. As I said, it's been an age and a half since I was in here.

All the Best,
Scott
Hi Scott,

I'm still in the Trance camp when epoxying in the Amulets with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy. I recently installed a Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom System in my 2020 Martin HD-28 Sunburst. You can hear the results in another thread in this Acoustic Amplification section of AGF.

My new pickup acquisition is the Ultra Tonic 3.2 by James May Engineering. Its two sensors are superglued into the guitar (I used Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy). Think of a K&K system in which an onboard passive multi-switch EQ circuit board can be used to tune out excessive bass and other muddiness while retaining the good qualities of a K&K. I recently installed this system in my 2016 Martin D-18 and you can also hear the results in another thread in this Acoustic Amplification section of AGF. I have yet to post the results from my final DIP-switch setting for this pickup.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-12-2022, 11:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Scott,

I'm still in the Trance camp when epoxying in the Amulets with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy. I recently installed a Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom System in my 2020 Martin HD-28 Sunburst. You can hear the results in another thread in this Acoustic Amplification section of AGF.

My new pickup acquisition is the Ultra Tonic 3.2 by James May Engineering. Its two sensors are superglued into the guitar (I used Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy). Think of a K&K system in which an onboard passive multi-switch EQ circuit board can be used to tune out excessive bass and other muddiness while retaining the good qualities of a K&K. I recently installed this system in my 2016 Martin D-18 and you can also hear the results in another thread in this Acoustic Amplification section of AGF. I have yet to post the results from my final DIP-switch setting for this pickup.
Thanks for the update, Ken. I might PM you on the particulars of the Ultra Tonic. I just got a brand-new D-18 from Maury. I'm either going to drop in another TA rig, or look around a bit.

Is the Ultra passive? If so, do you get enough gain out of it?

Thanks, Buddy. Good to catch up.

All the Best,
Scott
Old 02-13-2022, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Thanks for the update, Ken. I might PM you on the particulars of the Ultra Tonic. I just got a brand-new D-18 from Maury. I'm either going to drop in another TA rig, or look around a bit.

Is the Ultra passive? If so, do you get enough gain out of it?

Thanks, Buddy. Good to catch up.

All the Best,
Scott
Scott, the Ultra Tonic 3.2 is passive and has a decent amount of output. It's recommended that it be plugged into an input impedance of 500 kOhms and higher. I plug it into my Grace Design FELiX 2 set at 1 MegaOhm.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification