The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2022, 10:13 AM

Default Enya X4 Pro review

I picked up a new one of these just the other day and did a review right out of the box and then again after set up. $899 for the guitar with a hard shell case and leather strap. If you are not interested in the video review, the take away points are:
  • It is heavy, nearly 6 pounds
  • It has a very full bass
  • I hated the strings that came with it, made it sound low midrange muddy.
  • After a set up and a change of strings, it is definitely worth the money.

The video is about 18 minutes total; the first half is a review just out of the box and the second half is after I did a full set up and change of strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ifIgpfzMA
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp

Last edited by drguitar001; 02-21-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:42 AM

Sounds great to me Drguitar. As for being heavy, yeah I get that. When it comes to carbon fiber it is hard to beat RainSong in weight.

Retros are great for but I don't hear the same mid range cut that you do. I think they are more vanilla and balanced across the tonal palate to my ears. If you want that mid range cut you also might want to check out Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze.

Great review and great playing!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:49 AM

Excellent review thanks for sharing that. Nice job on showing the short but telling back to back playing of the different strings.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Excellent review. The difference between the two sets of strings is very striking.

I’d say, that for $899, Enya has made a very credible, and, with a bit of work, good sounding and playing entry level composite guitar.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-23-2022, 12:23 PM

Drguitar

Nice review. I have the Enya X4 Pro also. Got it about six months ago. I didn't know anything about Enya guitars but gave it a chance after reading as much as I could about it. I have been very pleased with mine also. I had similar set up issues I addressed myself but minor stuff compared to other guitars I have. Soundwise similar too - midrange emphasis and boomy bass. I tamed it a bit with Elixir 80/20s - after seeing your review I will try some Martin retros next.

All in all, a very nice guitar for the money - no regrets at all. It has been rock solid.

74 Guild D35 09 Larrivee L-03 Zebrano
94 Martin D35 08 Larrivee LV-10 Red Spr/Madag
95 Martin D1 08 Taylor 814ce
98 Martin 000-16SP Taylor GS Mini Koa
00 Martin D28 10 Taylor 414ce
06 Larrivee P-09BZ 18 Gibson Hummingbird
17 Pono Koa O-10 19 Yamaha LL-TA
Others....
Old 02-23-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffter View Post
Soundwise similar too - midrange emphasis and boomy bass. I tamed it a bit with Elixir 80/20s
I noticed that the midrange was THICK sounding, like there were too many harmonics and the harmonics were of the wrong type (odd order harmonics?). If I play gently, the midrange calms and the guitar is more pleasing sounding. As for the bass, it almost sounds like the top is tuned to the low E as it just blooms when playing an open E or Em chord.

The Martin Retro light gauge strings definitely calmed the midrange quite a bit, but it is still too aggressive for my liking. I have thought about maybe adding a brace to the top to quiet the thick of the midrange. That would take a lot of testing, experimenting and research before I would be comfortable adding a brace anywhere.

Elixir 80/20s nanowebs were my go to strings for years before I started to use the Retros. Honestly, the Retros are slightly quieter with less ring when compared to the 80/20 Nanos, but they last extremely long, are inexpensive and have a softer feel. So I may try the 80/20s since I probably have a set around, that may do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber