The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've played a couple, and although I'm partial to the "baby Falcon" white version - I was seriously thinking of buying one and "Falconizing" it with aftermarket parts - it's a fully pro-quality instrument that just happens to sell at an intermediate/step-up price; FWIW I've seen a couple local Beatles tribute bands use it as their "George" guitar, and if you ever get the chance to run it through a Vox AC combo (I like the AC10 1x10" and AC30S1 1x12" with this guitar - YMMV) it'll bring tears to your eyes...

BTW, don't be afraid to ask for an additional discount - IME Sweetwater is very accommodating in this respect - use the difference toward a hardshell case (check out the Gator Journeyman - near dead-ringer for a $500 Gretsch "Western" factory case at 1/4 the price), and have a couple sets of flatwound 11's on hand (de rigeur on a hollow/semi-hollow Gretsch)...

My father thanks you...
My mother thanks you...
My wife thanks you...
My daughter thanks you...

- and I thank you...
Thanks, Steve,

I'm also considering ordering the "baby Falcon" model:

Gretsch G5422TG Electromatic Hollowbody Double-Cut with Bigsby - Snowcrest White

I've just sent an email to my Sweetwater sales engineer asking for the best price he can give me on the "George" and "baby Falcon" models, and for buying both models at once. I'd keep the "George" and give my daughter the "baby Falcon".
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-23-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...I'd keep the "George" and give my daughter the "baby Falcon"...
If you really want to pump things up (you're one generous dad...) here's some custom touches that would "Falconize" it even further:

https://quickguards.com/products/gre...lcon-pickguard

https://quickguards.com/products/gre...ss-rod-cover-1

https://www.angela.com/gretschbigsby...tailpiece.aspx

https://www.angela.com/gretschusagol...knobsfour.aspx

- and it wouldn't be complete without one of these:

https://www.angela.com/gretschvintag...220664005.aspx

- or these:

https://www.angela.com/gretschtooled...trapwhite.aspx

Don't know how old she is or if she plays in a band, but it'll definitely turn a lot of heads (especially among other guitarists) at her next gig - and if you're interested there's a Chet Atkins pickguard/horseshoe trussrod cover, bar bridge, and black skinny strap for Dad's guitar...
Old 01-24-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Steve, those are cool-looking White Falcon swap-outs!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-30-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I can get the Gretsch G5422TG Electromatic Hollowbody Double-Cut with Bigsby - Walnut Stain from Sweetwater for $840 but the guitars are back-ordered until May, They do however have the Gretsch G5422TDC Electromatic Hollowbody Double-cut with Bigsby - Orange Stain in stock which is the same guitar as the G5422TG except it doesn't have the gold hardware. I've yet to ask for the best price on this model.

Gretsch G5422TDC Electromatic Hollowbody Double-cut with Bigsby - Orange Stain
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-30-2021, 10:10 AM

Both nice guitars so it's strictly your choice - orange one has a mid-60's Chet Atkins Nashville vibe, under 7 pounds (perfect for those skinny straps), should be able to save another $120+/- over the walnut/gold version...
Old 01-30-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I can get the Gretsch G5422TG Electromatic Hollowbody Double-Cut with Bigsby - Walnut Stain from Sweetwater for $840 but the guitars are back-ordered until May, They do however have the Gretsch G5422TDC Electromatic Hollowbody Double-cut with Bigsby - Orange Stain in stock which is the same guitar as the G5422TG except it doesn't have the gold hardware. I've yet to ask for the best price on this model.

Gretsch G5422TDC Electromatic Hollowbody Double-cut with Bigsby - Orange Stain
An orange Gretsch is classic!
Old 11-14-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
While I personally like the MK's I've played
Steve, not to hijack this thread, but have you ever tried a Michael Kelly Nostalgia Heirloom?
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Steve, not to hijack this thread, but have you ever tried a Michael Kelly Nostalgia Heirloom?
No - apparently it's been discontinued, and it never appeared in any of the music stores I frequent - but it appears to be very similar to the Washburn J600 (enough so that I suspect they may have been made in the same factory) which I have played; quite frankly I was unimpressed, and the video of the Michael Kelly Nostalgia Heirloom below matches my hands-on impressions of the Washburn as thin, strident, and lacking in character and complexity - proof positive that a solid top isn't necessarily a predictor of good tone in an archtop:

IME if you're looking for a suspended-pickup double-duty jazzbox in this price range you'd be far better-served with a good used Korean-made Epiphone Emperor Regent; while it's no competition for a good carved-top, with the proper setup and a set of 13's it can do yeoman service as a true dual-purpose instrument, in the spirit of the all-laminated postwar Gibson ES-150 - some of which could give a contemporary L-7 a run for its money...
Old 11-16-2021, 04:32 PM

Thanks, that's the impression I came away with too.

I am in fact looking for an LH-650, that seems to be clear by now. I might consider an Eastman but the only one I've seen that's not (too) overpriced is an AR610CE with apparently (very atypically) maple B&S. Thing is, I use the classical position; I know it'll work with the Loar but a 17" lower bout might be just too much to handle comfortably.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops