The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
I have this and am trying to figure out how to use it well....distances, levels, settings....so far I really don't like it....I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if it's the room I'm in or what but I don't think the recording it captures sounds even remotely close to "real" life...and it's kinda bumming me out....any tips?
To summarize, the number one trick to recording is mic placement - well, the number one thing is performance, but the close number two is mic placement. Fortunately the MV1 has an excellent mic preamp with a wide range of gain and very low self-noise. No phantom power, of course, and it's stereo, so you either need a stereo mic or an adapter/cable setup to split a mono mic to two channels. The mic input provides plug-in power which is needed if you use some kinds of microphones.

If adding an external mic is a problem, the alternative is to place you camera rather close to the source, which unfortunately results in a "fish-eye" distortion of the image.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
To summarize, the number one trick to recording is mic placement - well, the number one thing is performance, but the close number two is mic placement. Fortunately the MV1 has an excellent mic preamp with a wide range of gain and very low self-noise. No phantom power, of course, and it's stereo, so you either need a stereo mic or an adapter/cable setup to split a mono mic to two channels. The mic input provides plug-in power which is needed if you use some kinds of microphones.

If adding an external mic is a problem, the alternative is to place you camera rather close to the source, which unfortunately results in a "fish-eye" distortion of the image.

Fran
thanks I'll try an up close one, no one needs to see me anyways when close where do I put the input level, the middle? well I just keep experimenting...thanks again
Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well I bought all the extras. The accessory pack comes with a bunch of goodies, a semi hard shell carrying case for the Q2n itself which I think is a necessity to save the camera from damage while transporting it. the Q2n fits snuggly inside. Yes it's a custom made case, hence the cost. A wind screen designed for using the camera outdoors on a windy day ...meh ..?? A lens cap to protect the lens while not in use, that's pretty important. Then a lens shield that fits over the lens and keeps unwanted rainbow glare out of your video. This happens when recording inside and overhead lighting glares into your video...very important.---- There's has a mounting attachment I haven't figured out yet, and it has another attachment that you can use to hold the camera with your hand or slip it into a standard microphone clip adapter, so you could use a mic stand for a camera stand....also pretty cool. All these things come in the $50 accessory package. I feel it's worth it. YMMV.

Also, you'll have to buy a Class 10 memory card, costs about $20-30. Buy it with the camera so you get the right card. I also bought a AC adapter for about $15.00, You get a USB cord anyway so you can power the camera off the computer if you want. The camera eats batteries, so going with an AC adapter made sense to me. The camera comes with two AA batteries to get you started.

I also have a 6"-7" tripod camera stand that I use to hold the camera while filming.

For Video editing software, a friend suggested the $79.99 Corel X-10 Pro version, not the $99 dollar ultimate version. The X-10 Pro version worked out great for me and has all the editing features I need plus many more.

Next up you'll want a You Tube account to host your video's. That's free. Posting on Facebook is a breeze too. Both can be posted directly using the Corel Software.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't...I was up and running in minutes and produced my first test video in about 5 minutes. Now after spending a little time with the Corel software, I could probably make a video in about 30-60 minutes from start to finish.
Martin Maniac...

Can you post a link to your YouTube stuff, I'd love to check it out.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD