The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
I am intrigued by the thought of taking a small CF guitar on one of our kayak camping trips. The X7 is a candidate.

I try to make sure most everything I take along serves two purposes. There's limited space for hauling gear on a 9 1/2 foot boat. For instance, I break the paddle down to support a tarp to sit under when it's raining, and the PFD makes a decent pillow. Still looking for the second use for a CF guitar ... maybe an expedient table for prepping food. We'll see.

But now two ways to use a beercan huggie! I like your style, Jim.
Get one without electronics and the second use for a CF guitar can be.....a backup paddle.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
I am intrigued by the thought of taking a small CF guitar on one of our kayak camping trips. The X7 is a candidate.

But now two ways to use a beercan huggie! I like your style, Jim.
We were on our boat a few years ago, and I was looking for something to support the neck for a string change. Cutting down that can koozie worked so good, it's what I use all the time now.

I had mentioned that the only thing about the X7 that feels small is the headstock. My manual Planet Waves winder fits between the tuning keys just fine.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 PM

Congratulations Jim! I've told you before that you have great taste in guitars- this choice is no exception. I'm gassing for an Amicus and Synergy and need to find a better job!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, Sean. In the words of the philosopher Cindy Lauper: boys just wanna have fun. Too.

This guitar has the "fun factor" in spades. Nice to have options.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Getting close to departure day for us. The guitar room is looking a bit empty as I case 'em up. I took the time to get a shot of the RainSong Shorty and X7 hanging together for a size comparison...

The neck lengths are quite close (24.875" on the Shorty, 24" on the X7); the real difference is in the body and headstock.

Maybe it was the heavy sighing from me, but the Blonde said, "You can bring more than one, if you want."

Decisions, decisions.

She also said, "Play some of the others before you put them away." When I switched from the X7 to the Taylor 522ce 12-fret (all mahogany), she said, "Oh, that one has a lot of bass!"

Yep.
Guitars in pairs are special. You are blessed to have these difficult decisions. That traditional round sound hole on your RS is my preference for no other reason than I am constantly hitting the top with my thumb pick on the offset sound holes.(the reason I got rid of my Adamas) I may have never discovered the Rainsong otherwise. Wonderful fate.
Great pictures.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I find I am evolving. Looking back, I did spend 14 years with an Ovation as my main acoustic guitar, but it did have the sound hole in the middle. While others made comments about the "Tupperware back" on the Ovation, I considered it a great guitar for traveling in differing climates. After the Ovation, I got my first Taylor, then picked up a GSmini as my travel guitar.

All the while, still thinking I was a "traditional wood guitar guy." Hey, the Ovation had a wood top. Carbon fiber really wasn't on my radar... until the Shorty. Spending some time on this sub-forum was more exposure to off-set soundholes and some of the other attributes, like the ergonomics that are possible with CF. The X7 is SO comfortable. Yet, for all the non-traditional aspects of it, it sounds like... a guitar.

Two weeks in, this is still the "honeymoon stage," but I am convinced that a guitar doesn't have to look traditional to sound sweet. I am embracing the differences and enjoying them all.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Day two traveling in the motorhome... taking the long way to the Pacific Northwest. The X7 left our humidity and temperture controlled house, and has gone from 75% humidity the first night, to 7% humidity the second night. Texas is a big state with a lot of contrasts.

We are crossing west Texas during the annual Blowing Dirt Festival (Jan 1 through Dec 31 each year), being held in conjunction this year with the Crappy Road Festival. Yeah, it has been a windy, humid, dry, lumpy ride... if our kid didn't live in the Phoenix area, we wouldn't be going this way.

That said, the X7 has gotten some play each day and is still in tune. I am enjoying the size! And the sound. The guitar is handling this lack of humidity better than this island boy - I had to spray saline up my nose. The guitar couldn't wait to come out and play.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Day two traveling in the motorhome... taking the long way to the Pacific Northwest. The X7 left our humidity and temperture controlled house, and has gone from 75% humidity the first night, to 7% humidity the second night. Texas is a big state with a lot of contrasts.

We are crossing west Texas during the annual Blowing Dirt Festival (Jan 1 through Dec 31 each year), being held in conjunction this year with the Crappy Road Festival. Yeah, it has been a windy, humid, dry, lumpy ride... if our kid didn't live in the Phoenix area, we wouldn't be going this way.

That said, the X7 has gotten some play each day and is still in tune. I am enjoying the size! And the sound. The guitar is handling this lack of humidity better than this island boy - I had to spray saline up my nose. The guitar couldn't wait to come out and play.
Saline in the CF Guitar wouldn't have any affect. Dripping saline on the guitar might be a little disturbing. In the words of an exasperated Dr. McCoy, "for God's sake Jim, be careful"
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I'll be careful. Down for the night in Benson, AZ... the humidity is, once again, 7%. 7%??? I played for an hour or so. Two days in this dry stuff, and I am already feeling like I have "Vegas throat." Without the entertainment factor of being in Vegas.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:

Thank you for keeping us posted on your adventure Jim and we are delighted to hear that you are having a lot of fun playing your X7 along the way!

Best Wishes from all the team here in sunny Donegal!

Sean
Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Sean.

My lovely wife just proposed an interesting endeavor: in the last couple days, we passed through some very distinctly different climates (and contrasts) - she said, "You should take a photo with your guitar in different areas along the way."

Now you tell me?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:44 AM

Don't know where your headed in the NW but here in Florence Oregon it's about 75 degrees, 50% humidity and clear blue skies with a soft breeze off the ocean.
Be sure to travel Hwy 1 along the Oregon coast most beautiful Hwy in the USA! We live near the Heceta Head lighthouse worth a stop, and there is a great campground in Winchester Bay RV resort, sits on a little finger right in the bay looking out to the ocean. Jerry
Old 05-30-2016, 02:02 PM

Capt. Jim, seems I saw somewhere your on Padre Is?? our neighbors stay here all summer have a home there name is Jinks know them by any chance?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jerry. Yes, our home is in the Tropical Tip of Texas. Sorry, I don't know your friends, though. We are headed to the San Juan Islands for another summer with a whale watch company. When we leave ,the HOT desert, we'll be making miles northward. We have traveled the Oregon coast in the past, and it is, indeed, a beautiful area.

We generally try to go where the weather is moderate... here in the Phoenix area because that is where our daughter and son-in-law live. Hot. And dry. I am really looking forward to getting to the Pacific Northwest - especially after looking at the 10 forecast here in AZ.

Yabut, it's a dry heat. Taking that logic forward, I wasn't puking, it was just the dry heaves... so that is a lot better.

And that is my happy thought for the day.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Sean.

My lovely wife just proposed an interesting endeavor: in the last couple days, we passed through some very distinctly different climates (and contrasts) - she said, "You should take a photo with your guitar in different areas along the way."

Now you tell me?
Jim,

Your dear wife has some fantastic ideas! ;-) We would love to see all the amazing places you and your guitar are getting to travel through!

Best Wishes

Sean

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber