The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I particularly love the look of the gold hardware and logo!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM

i think i've heard that it has a truss rod accessible from inside the soundhole, but i may be wrong. the point is that it is not a problem to put a truss rod on any of the Emerald Guitars
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Though I am really not interested in spending money at this point in my life (retirement is my focus now), if I were, a 7 string CF like the one in the pics would definitely be on my radar. I would have t try before I buy though. I have not played an Emerald in several years, and the ones I did (earlier X5 and I think an X10), I did not care for the sound nearly as well as what CA Guitars was doing. I am sure that has all changed by now though.

Tony
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 PM

Tony same experience as you with the X 10 several years ago and yes it's changed, but you need to hear it. Got that retirement focus myself. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM

ALISTAIR'S TOP 10 CUSTOM GUITARS OF 2012
#3 Miotas Marble Bass
These basses are part of a 10 piece limited edition featuring the Miotas dragon that I carved a couple of years ago. The Concept of the limited edition is to build 10 identical guitars yet give each dragon its own character utilizing all the most exotic finishes I can find.
This pair are finished using a special graphic process that produces a look virtually indistinguishable from real marble.
They have proved difficult to photograph in a way that truly does them justice but rest assured they are truly worthy of their number 3 place on my list. Both these bass guitars are currently available for sale priced at $3,000

- Alistair

Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM

#2 Archtop Cello Nylon string
For this Guitar the customer gave me a very simple brief "I want a Nylon string guitar that looks like a Cello" I said OK and then went away scratching my head wondering what I had just agreed to.
I broke down the various elements of the design and It quickly became clear it was all about the headstock, F holes and tail piece.

The Headstock was hand carved from a solid laminated block of carbon and features peg tuners from Pegheds that actually have a 4:1 gear built into them giving a very traditional look.
The Bridge and tailpiece are custom moulded carbon parts and to keep the lines clean I created a special ball joint to hold on the tailpiece rather than a regular tie design.

For the soundboard I used a solid Cedar top laminated with a very fine skin of carbon and used a very light carbon lattice bracing system giving a very light and responsive soundboard.

All these features really blended beautifully together and created a very unique instrument that exceed both the customer and my own expectations.

- Alistair Hay

Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM

#1 Steve Vai's Ultra Guitar and Limited Edition Replica
There can be only one winner this year. I built the original Ultra Guitar for Steve Vai back in 2001 based on Steve's Ultra Zone album cover and finally after all these years Steve decided to take the guitar out on tour. So to mark the ocassion I decided to build a replica series.
I had the original guitar back in the factory to make some minor changes prior to the tour so I took the opportunity to make a mould from the guitar ensuring that I would be able to create an exact replica.
It was a huge effort to build production moulds for such a complex guitar but it was a labour of love and well worth the effort. we perfected every detail right down to using the exact same hardware, paint and even added the lasers and LED's just like Steve's guitar.
To house this very special guitar I designed a pod case lined with red velvet and gave it a window so the guitar is on display even when in the case. The final touch is a custom display stand that holds the guitar and slowly rotates it to show it off in its entirety.
To Build the original Ultra was a very special experience but to replicate it was just as special and to see the reaction of the customers that have come from around the world to collect their Ultra guitars in person is the ultimate reward for my year!!!
- Alistair Hay
http://www.emeraldguitars.com/ultra-guitar-replica/

Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 AM

Now that 2013 is about 3/4 done, is the list of Alistair's top 10 for 2013 3/4 done? Can't wait to see the beauties for 2013
Old 09-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Now that 2013 is about 3/4 done, is the list of Alistair's top 10 for 2013 3/4 done? Can't wait to see the beauties for 2013
I nominate the short scale, hi tuned 12-string similar to the Veillette Gryphon.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Like pink??
That was my thought too. Pink could look really sharp the way the colors are done (with the weave showing through). And with a narrow neck to better fit smaller hands. Must win lottery... must win lottery.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't get Steve Vai?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't get Steve Vai?
Nope, you are not. Don't get him, don't get that weird guitar. I do get Eric Clapton however

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber