The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-03-2022, 12:26 PM

If you can get a new, properly slotted nut then replace the nut. A lot depends on your abilities, experience and what tools you have.

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 04-03-2022, 04:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is a alternative repair for the nut. I have done this many times in repair situations and it is my favorite solution, functionally. The only needed tools are a razor saw and abrasives, plus the correct size nut slot file.

Cut a high aspect ration "V" in the fingerboard facing surface of the nut directly under the offending slot. 1 to 2 mm is deep enough. Twist the saw blade to break out the wedge you've created. Using a defunct piece of saddle, create a wedge that fits the cavity tightly. Glue it in with you favorite glue (I use CA). shape it flush ob all surfaces and then recut the slot.

Because the string release remains on well seated bone, just like before, there is no degrade in tone, playability, or longevity. It can be done narrow enough to hide it from all but the most prying of eyes.

A picture is worth 100 words:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 04-03-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVA View Post
I would fill and recut the slot, by first filling with bone dust then dropping in a bit of thin (least viscous) CA glue, and letting it dry overnight for max hardness before filing it to depth. Based on experience that should work just fine. One thing to be sure to do: the glue will quickly run when you drop it into the nut so I'd mask off the headstock, the fretboard and most of the nut except for that portion that I'm filling, make sure that a good quality masking tape keeps the glue where you want it.
Yup. Filling when done right is a lot easier and is a viable fix.

I have yet to try the UV cure stuff but plan too soon.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:38 AM

Just seeing Bruces post now, that's the way to do it there!

I have small chunks of ivory around for that very reason, fixing vintage ivory nuts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair