The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Successful String Search

Finding strings for my X20-7 has been a bit of a challenge. It came with Emerald’s usual D’Addario selection, but I’ve been unable to find a matching set here in the US. I bought a couple of custom sets from Newtone in the UK, but their ordering requirements don’t really lend themselves to fan-fretted instruments, and, also, they take rather a long time to get here. Great strings, but I wanted to find something closer to home.

I found an Elixir Baritone set, which, with the addition of a .012 first, looked like it would fit the bill. The gauges didn’t quite match, though, and the guitar ended up with a plain 3rd string (the baritone’s 2nd), and felt really odd to play.

So, then I started looking for 6-string sets that I could purchase a matching 7th string to go with. To my delight, I found that John Pearse Lights match perfectly - the gauges of the 6-string set are spot on, and I can get a matching .068 for the 7th. Even better, they’re available in both PB and Nickel. Just Strings carries them all, so I got a set of each.

I put the nickel wound set on the guitar yesterday, and I’m really pleased. They sound full and warm, with a nice bright edge if I dig in a bit, and feel good under the fingers. It will be interesting to see how long they last.

IMG_1999.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-14-2022, 11:20 AM

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. if you need something from europe, keep in mind that I am at your disposal to eventually buy and send you what you need.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:47 AM

Thanks David! Didn't know about those nickel Pearse strings.

I like the Martin Retro (monel, nickel/copper) on my CF guitars (and a cedar/mahogany Tacoma). Great sound and decent longevity but I've been continuing to use PB (D'Addario EXP, bought a bunch before they were made extinct!) on the traditional wood guitars AND on the baritone X30 fan fret simply because of the unavailability of a needed heavy-gauge bass string.

As you might recall, I'm a 'DADGAD player' so tune my 6-string X30 FF to AEADEA ('dadgad' version of B-B standard tuning) and have been using a single 070 bass string with a 'shifted' 5/6 standard light gauge set (053, 042, 032, 024, 016, 012), discarding the high 012. I like having a wound 2nd string -- like you I've never liked the typical baritone 'bridge cable' plain steel 2nd strings and can't imagine one for the 3rd! -- and I also replace the plain 016 with an 017 for that 'high' A.

Looks like those Pearse strings might be just the ticket to trying nickel-wound strings on the baritone (and a choice (!) of bass gauges...might try the 072 for that low A). Thanks for bringing those to our attention.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber