The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
I took delivery of my Pro8 a couple of days ago. I think it’s a keeper...going to do a restaurant gig with it tomorrow. I will report back. Might try and get a video sample. Stay tuned.
Hey, Greyhound. Just wondering how the L1Pro8 did at the gig. I'm debating between that and the L1 pro16. Mostly concerned about flexibility and coverage.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Sorry I lost track of this thread. Bottom line is it did just fine and a couple of people who have heard me in the same space running 2 Schertler Jam 150’s in the past preferred the sound of the Bose. A lot has todo with the tower and it’s ability to project into the room. I normally run the schertlers on short speaker stands that are maybe 8” off the ground. So in that setup the tweeter is maybe 20” from the floor. I’ve used them for years and at the end of the day I think the Schertlers are more musical to my ears and I use them in my music room for a very fine sound. The Bose are great for this type of live application and I have owned the old compact as well as the “last” generation 1s with the B2. I have some placement challenges in my regular venue and I can’t get the tower behind me with sufficient space. So it gets kind of angled. I’m thinking of picking up an S1 to use as a monitor. Playing again on the 15th I will report any new observations.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
Sorry I lost track of this thread. Bottom line is it did just fine and a couple of people who have heard me in the same space running 2 Schertler Jam 150’s in the past preferred the sound of the Bose. A lot has todo with the tower and it’s ability to project into the room. I normally run the schertlers on short speaker stands that are maybe 8” off the ground. So in that setup the tweeter is maybe 20” from the floor. I’ve used them for years and at the end of the day I think the Schertlers are more musical to my ears and I use them in my music room for a very fine sound. The Bose are great for this type of live application and I have owned the old compact as well as the “last” generation 1s with the B2. I have some placement challenges in my regular venue and I can’t get the tower behind me with sufficient space. So it gets kind of angled. I’m thinking of picking up an S1 to use as a monitor. Playing again on the 15th I will report any new observations.
Love the report Greyhound! I agree the height of the Bose tower makes it work more optimally. I used to gig with a Fishman Loudbox Performer. It was wonderful but did not project as far or wide ...and people right in front would sometimes want it to be quieter. That NEVER happens with the Bose in my experience.

I also have a Bose S1 Pro and Highly recommend using one as a floor monitor. It is surreal how great that works.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-16-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Interesting update: Last night I had a duo gig. I play bass or acoustic guitar in my Duo. I bring a bass cabinet and Mesa Boogie WD-800 amp with my Sadowsky 5 string bass. I was in a rush last night and half way to the gig I realized I left the Bass amp at home.

So I played bass through the Bose L1 Pro8. Oh my Goodness!! It was superb! I will not be need to carry my bass amp to my duo shows in the future. The Bose sounded so good! I had more than enough volume, low end and it handled the Low B string without a hiccup. I am super impressed!!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-16-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Interesting update: Last night I had a duo gig. I play bass or acoustic guitar in my Duo. I bring a bass cabinet and Mesa Boogie WD-800 amp with my Sadowsky 5 string bass. I was in a rush last night and half way to the gig I realized I left the Bass amp at home.

So I played bass through the Bose L1 Pro8. Oh my Goodness!! It was superb! I will not be need to carry my bass amp to my duo shows in the future. The Bose sounded so good! I had more than enough volume, low end and it handled the Low B string without a hiccup. I am super impressed!!
Bose doesn't get enough credit over the last several decades for the development of products with portability and good-quality sound for gigging musicians!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 PM

Great to hear Gary and I agree Sprucetop!

I am surprised there isn't more talk about this Pro8 system.

I've been very pleased with my purchase !

The versatility, ease of use, features and sound quality is simply amazing. Sure it's $1200 bucks. Which could be steep for many.. I get that. But it covers a ton of ground musically... plus my vocals straight in from my mic are silky smooth. No other processor needed!

What is mind blowing.. is that I can enjoy top quality sound without blowing out mine or my audience's ears.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:46 AM

Just upgraded from an L1 Compact to the Pro8 yesterday. Our initial use of the Pro8 was just a low-volume rehearsal for our acoustic duo in the basement, but VERY noticeable improvement in sound. The Pro8 is much more "open" and natural sounding and the bass is much nicer even with just an acoustic guitar at low volume. Really happy with this upgrade so far!
Old 01-18-2021, 02:18 PM

The real contender is Evolve 30m that I have and love.

Anyone played both side-by-side?

I know the L1c couldn't hold a candle to the 30m. It made every voice sound great though and the 180° coverage was nice
Old 02-08-2021, 01:35 AM

I like how reading through the thread there were incrementally more owners in the making. Wish I'd found out about these back when life was normal, but I've really got my sights set on a Pro16 to replace the L1 MII that I loved playing though, but never liked setup/tearing and moving to the vehicle by myself with it.
Really interesting too what Groberts was saying about it being able to negate his need for dragging the bass amp anymore.
Don't know if I'll get a Pro8 first, but I can definitely see one, or even both models creeping over the horizon.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-08-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I like how reading through the thread there were incrementally more owners in the making. Wish I'd found out about these back when life was normal, but I've really got my sights set on a Pro16 to replace the L1 MII that I loved playing though, but never liked setup/tearing and moving to the vehicle by myself with it.
Really interesting too what Groberts was saying about it being able to negate his need for dragging the bass amp anymore.
Don't know if I'll get a Pro8 first, but I can definitely see one, or even both models creeping over the horizon.
One interesting observation I saw somewhere about portability is that the Pro16 subwoofer, since it functions both as sub and stand, weighs about 41 pounds, compared to the L1 M2's power stand at 24 pounds and the B1 bass, 25 pounds. That wouldn't be a consideration for everyone, but for me living on the third floor of a walk-up, it might be. At least I can make an extra trip with lighter weight if I want to! (I have an L1 M2).
Old 02-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I share Chriscom's concerns. The 41 lbs is a show-stopper for me. The Pro8 is
the only Pro model I would consider. I also have the L1m2 and would
sacrifice a little power to save some trips up and down stairs. I
read/saw the Pro8 is more like an L1S replacement than the L1 Compact.
The Compact did not cut it for my needs.

After viewing the comments and video links in this thread, I am convinced the
Pro8 has more features and sounds fuller. Is this translating into
noticeably more power and coverage than the L1 Compact?

Thanks.

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack yr2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC/Sitka yr2001 + Sunrise
Goodall HRGCC/Italian yr2004 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele MX-T
Bose L1 mod2, Pro8, S1 Pro, QSC K8.2, CP8
Old 02-09-2021, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I share Chriscom's concerns. The 41 lbs is a show-stopper for me. The Pro8 is
the only Pro model I would consider. I also have the L1m2 and would
sacrifice a little power to save some trips up and down stairs. I
read/saw the Pro8 is more like an L1S replacement than the L1 Compact.
The Compact did not cut it for my needs.

After viewing the comments and video links in this thread, I am convinced the
Pro8 has more features and sounds fuller. Is this translating into
noticeably more power and coverage than the L1 Compact?

Thanks.
I completely agree that the weight of the L1 Pro16 Sub could be a deal breaker for some. Based on my experience with the L1 Pro8, a pair of these will cover my needs. For any larger shows, we would usually have front of house sound support and a sound engineer running a larger system. The L1 Pro8's are surprisingly worthy. In my experience the L1 Pro8 outperforms the compact.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-09-2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
One interesting observation I saw somewhere about portability is that the Pro16 subwoofer, since it functions both as sub and stand, weighs about 41 pounds, compared to the L1 M2's power stand at 24 pounds and the B1 bass, 25 pounds. That wouldn't be a consideration for everyone, but for me living on the third floor of a walk-up, it might be. At least I can make an extra trip with lighter weight if I want to! (I have an L1 M2).
I wouldn't even be comaparing it to the Pro8 but rather as something to replace the two-trips-MII, and bring me back some of that oomph and spread that I miss so much. I think there's be plenty of sales to go around between the 8, 16 and 32 and for anyone happy with the L1 compact, the Pro8 looks like a no brainer, but anyone missing their L1 MII is never going to find happiness unless going with something that has more power and more mid-hi drivers with their inherently greater dispersion.

I'd much rather make one 41 pound trip, especially if the Pro16 can come anywhere close to reminding me of the MII.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-09-2021, 09:16 PM

Another vote for a shoot out between Evolve 30 and new Bose Pro models.

I have both an Evolve 30 and a Bose L1 compact, and the Evolve 30 is in another league especially volume.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:43 PM

Default NAD! New Bose L1 Pro8 Line Array DEMO Vid!

My workhorse for small venues is my Bose L1 Compact. I love this system. It’s never let me down for hundreds of gigs, rehearsals, and home practicing. My experience with the L1 is the reason I purchased the Bose Pro16 rather than the Evolve 50. I’m now playing solo shows in larger venues and need “more power”. These are rooms that I would normally play with my band. Due to the Wuhan virus, they are now only booking solo shows.

The Pro16 sounds great, but mine had a high pitched (8.5K) ringing/hiss. I exchanged it for a new one but it had the same issue. I found out later that there were others with the same issue. I was willing to put up with the wobbly tower but I just won’t accept this quality issue. Apparently the Pro8 doesn’t have this issue. My guess is that it isn’t as wobbly because the tower is lighter and not as top heavy as the Pro16.

Long story short, I am waiting for my EV Evolve 50M to be delivered. It has the mixing features of the Evolve 30M plus a few other additional features. It has two effects channels with many reverbs, echoes, choruses and compressions to choose from.

Last edited by GreatGretsch; 02-09-2021 at 11:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification