The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

It might make sense to do some reading on the subject.
https://smile.amazon.com/Acoustic-De...+studio+design
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-12-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I'm still leaning Towards the drop ceiling with the rock wool above. Just need to figure out how to securely hang the cloud traps above. The link mikeBmuisc sent looks viable as long as the grid is secure.
The previous owner installed drop ceiling in my room (to hide the old bad-shape lath-and-plaster, I assume), and there's only about 4" of space. I stuffed pink (actually the yellow) fiberglass into the edges all the way around, and have clouds hung above my mix position, and other hooks on back wall for my moveable traps, they aren't that heavy - the clouds hang from 4 hangers, the other ones from two hangers.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 AM

One advantage of drop tile ceilings is that you can quite easily run low voltage/current cables from one side of the room to the other.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:53 AM

I ended up doing drywall with plenty of rock wool between the joists. It looks WAY more professional and finished, which was the deciding factor for me. With bass traps strategically placed and some decent wall panels, the room sounds really nice and natural. FYI with a living room above, nothing conventional will shield you from little running feet or X-box playing teens. I ran plenty of extra conduit and a couple of empty utility boxes in key spots for any future expansion. Recessed, track and hanging lights really look nice. I also have two spots of Auralex easily attached in key places above the mix position. Make sure your HVAC return vent is not anywhere near your record or mix spot. Or, you MUST sound-proof the ducts to limit the hiss. I skimped here with the same idea to just "turn it off" when recording, but it's the biggest regret I've had as things heat up down here very quickly and it's such a pain to have to run back and forth. I also always forget to turn it back on, to my wife's annoyance.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It might make sense to do some reading on the subject.
https://smile.amazon.com/Acoustic-De...+studio+design
Thanks. The book is ordered and on the way
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Drop ceiling or sheet rock? So moved into the new house and I'm debating whether to put a drop ceiling in or sheet rock with resilient channels in the basements

The main purpose is to block the TV and chatter from the room above.
Acoustical tile ceilings are meant to provide absorption in the room where they are the finished ceiling. They are not effective as noise barriers, nor are they intended to be. Standard mineral fiber tile is about 35% absorptive if directly applied to a sheet rock surface, and about 65% absorptive if suspended with a 6-12" of backing airspace. (Cut those absorption coefficients by two-thirds if you ever paint the tile). 1" thick fiber glass board is about 90% absorptive when surface applied, and slightly more if suspended with backing airspace. You cannot hear the difference between 65% and 66% absorption with batts above tiles, and my sound meters cannot measure it either.

Adding batts of any kind in that cavity above ceiling tile has virtually zero effect on the overall sound isolation until you use resilient clips. The mechanical decoupling of the mass layers form the framing is absolutely vital to improving the STC rating of the floor-ceiling system.

I've been in the acoustics business for 33 years now, and I deal with this question multiple times each week. I can count the number of times that professional contractors have installed resilient channels correctly on one hand and using only the fingers needed for an Em chord. In theory RC channels work, but in practical terms you would be far better off with RSIC clips from Pacific International. www.pac-intl.com

In terms of sound isolation, I would use RSIC clips, batts filling the cavity, and two layers of sheet rock -- very carefully installed. Then do any sound absorption / room acoustics treatment that may be needed inside your room using fiberglass board, thick carpet, soft furniture, etc.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

To really get isolation, you have to decouple the recording room. There are construction techniques that can accomplish that but it's not easy and it won't be cheap.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD