The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Guest 928

DeHart;

I am an advocate for free will and human individuality. However, I also take consolation in communal sensitivities. This forum, for example, is composed of a slew of diverse players from diverse locals. And yet, there is some sense of consensus, a sort of communal preference. That does not mean that the one preference prevails, but that many opinions are ongoing and shared. This is not always a good thing, but in the case of this forum I think it's a good thing. In the midst of many choices, there are some clear preferences, choices that would work for most players.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

I find that any given guitar will sound VERY different, depending on WHO is playing it and how/what style that person plays. A guitar may sound very ho-hum when Player A is playing it and may sound great when Player B is playing it. The video I referenced a few posts back is a good example of this to me - I think the player in the video does no justice to the sound of the guitars he is playing. TO my sensibilities, his playing is lackluster and, for the most part, VERY boring.

So the best we can do is figure out how a particular guitar will sound when WE are playing it and you never know until you get it in your hands and spend some time with it.
Well stated! All I know is that when I hear All Petteway playing an APLE or an X20, I love what I hear. This has happened to me as well when I picked up a Martin 0015 at GC one day. It was dull and uninspiring in my hands but then this young hipster kid with a man-bun picks it up and just puts a smile on my face. I actually stopped looking at guitars just to hear him play.

I really wish I could play a short scale X20 but wouldn't dare make an opinion about one until that happens, if it ever happens. Until then it's my RainSong that does it for me.

Oh yeah, since it seems like this is a "my guitar is better than your guitar" kind of a thread- I'm more of a Martin guy and love my RainSong's "brighter" tone. Different horses for different courses.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Man D, that landscape around your place is so beautiful. Makes for great guitar photos.

Everyone should have a small, comfy guitar of some sort. I’m sure the X7 will have its place among your guitars. As I know well, not always does one’s best guitars get the most attention. The one that fits best where I sit most is the one that gets the most play despite any shortcomings. For me, it’s been my Cargo, for a long time.
You aren't the only one who loves the Cargo like crazy! That seems to be a very popular instrument. I can understand that - the CA OX-A that I borrowed from Kramster for a while was a really nice guitar! I wouldn't mind having one of those for my own! Great neck, played almost as easily as an electric guitar and sounded great too!

Knowing how you feel about the Cargo, if I were you I wouldn't let it go for anything else. Perhaps add something else, if you are compelled to do so, but not replacing the Cargo. You've bonded with that baby!

The X7 definitely does have a place in my world - it is especially nice to play tucked into a cosy recliner! And may just become my "coach" guitar when traveling in the motorhome.

The four acoustics (and fifteen electrics) that I have now are more than capable of filling every possible guitar niche I can think of for them. The X7 fills the "need a really small acoustic guitar" niche. There are times and situations where a guitar that small is nice to have. I just have to discover what string set sounds the best to me on the X7.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well stated! All I know is that when I hear All Petteway playing an APLE or an X20, I love what I hear. This has happened to me as well when I picked up a Martin 0015 at GC one day. It was dull and uninspiring in my hands but then this young hipster kid with a man-bun picks it up and just puts a smile on my face. I actually stopped looking at guitars just to hear him play.

I really wish I could play a short scale X20 but wouldn't dare make an opinion about one until that happens, if it ever happens. Until then it's my RainSong that does it for me.

Oh yeah, since it seems like this is a "my guitar is better than your guitar" kind of a thread- I'm more of a Martin guy and love my RainSong's "brighter" tone. Different horses for different courses.
I've heard YOU play, Sean, and I would stop looking at guitars to watch and listen to you play. I think you would make most guitars really come alive!

We have similar tastes, the Martins and the brilliance of the Rainsongs. I like the Taylor brilliance too. Some guitars are just too "warm" for my liking. Someone else here said "warm" really means "dull" sounding and that made me chuckle (and think of some Gibson acoustics that I've played)... some truth to that - to MY tastes, even if to no one else's. But I enjoy high-end sparkle and brilliance and some other people don't.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
DeHart;

I am an advocate for free will and human individuality. However, I also take consolation in communal sensitivities. This forum, for example, is composed of a slew of diverse players from diverse locals. And yet, there is some sense of consensus, a sort of communal preference. That does not mean that the one preference prevails, but that many opinions are ongoing and shared. This is not always a good thing, but in the case of this forum I think it's a good thing. In the midst of many choices, there are some clear preferences, choices that would work for most players.
Well... I guess I just don't often go along with the crowd or what most people commonly seem to like. There are plenty of exceptions to that, of course, as well.

I don't see a need to push for generalization here. No need for that, because no one's individual taste is necessarily going to agree with any generalization or consensus. Best for each of us to speak to our own specifics and individual tastes, and then let others work out what is suitable for their individual tastes and application. We don't need to become a bunch of baahing sheeple.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Hey, DHart, glad to hear you're enjoying both guitars and congrats on the arrival of the new X7 - very pretty!

Yes, tone is subjective. Strings matter. Size matters. Where and how you play matters. I like the tone of my RainSong Shorty, but to my ear, the X7 has better balance. The Shorty is louder, the X7 sounds warmer. I was OK with the D'Addarios that came on the X7, but found I definitely prefer the sound and feel with Elixirs.

I had an interesting thing happen recently: for years, I have felt the Taylor neck was the best fit for me. When I first got the Shorty, it took me a while to get comfortable with that NS neck; still not my favorite. With this summer trip, the X7 came with us. I like the feel of that neck, thinking it is "almost as good" as the feel of my Taylors. Since we have been home, I have been playing the X20 far more than any of my other guitars. Even though the size and scale is larger than the X7, there is a similar feel.

The other day, I played the 814 for about an hour. 15 minutes into that session, I came to the realization that I like the Emerald neck better! Well, my Emeralds are the guitars that get the most play. I guess I've changed my preferences.

I only mention this because I'm guessing you've been playing the heck out of your RainSong. Your hands and ears have found their comfort zone. Play that X7 exclusively for a while and you may find the tone and balance make the RainSong sound... different.

Yes, the X7 is a super comfortable compact guitar... for me, it is so much more than that.

Again, congrats on two nice CF guitars!

Jim
Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Don't want to turn this into a "string" thread, but will be very interested in what you find that works the best for you on the X7. I've been using the Elixirs too, but haven't tried too many others yet.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hey, DHart, glad to hear you're enjoying both guitars and congrats on the arrival of the new X7 - very pretty!

Yes, tone is subjective. Strings matter. Size matters. Where and how you play matters. I like the tone of my RainSong Shorty, but to my ear, the X7 has better balance. The Shorty is louder, the X7 sounds warmer. I was OK with the D'Addarios that came on the X7, but found I definitely prefer the sound and feel with Elixirs.

I had an interesting thing happen recently: for years, I have felt the Taylor neck was the best fit for me. When I first got the Shorty, it took me a while to get comfortable with that NS neck; still not my favorite. With this summer trip, the X7 came with us. I like the feel of that neck, thinking it is "almost as good" as the feel of my Taylors. Since we have been home, I have been playing the X20 far more than any of my other guitars. Even though the size and scale is larger than the X7, there is a similar feel.

The other day, I played the 814 for about an hour. 15 minutes into that session, I came to the realization that I like the Emerald neck better! Well, my Emeralds are the guitars that get the most play. I guess I've changed my preferences.

I only mention this because I'm guessing you've been playing the heck out of your RainSong. Your hands and ears have found their comfort zone. Play that X7 exclusively for a while and you may find the tone and balance make the RainSong sound... different.

Yes, the X7 is a super comfortable compact guitar... for me, it is so much more than that.

Again, congrats on two nice CF guitars!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Don't want to turn this into a "string" thread, but will be very interested in what you find that works the best for you on the X7. I've been using the Elixirs too, but haven't tried too many others yet.

Jim and John.... I think I found THE strings for my X7. The EXP11's (coated 80/20) lights that Emerald shipped the guitar with sounded a bit dull to me. As I mentioned earlier, I really like a sparkle and brilliance in my acoustic guitar tones. So I was slightly disappointed in the somewhat dull tone. Some of the notes sounded a bit more like "thud" than musical. (My RainSong CH-OM1100NS, by comparison, has a very responsive top and, inherently, has a brilliance to the tone.)

I just installed a set of EJ11's - UNcoated 80/20 lights on the X7 and I like the tone MUCH better now. Apparently, I'm one who really hears a difference between the coated EXP11's and the uncoated EJ11's. My decades of rock and roll and firearms enjoyment have probably whacked off a bit of my very high frequency hearing response, so I like to kick up the trebles a bit. And the uncoated 80/20s do just that. The X7 has more "sparkle" now; it sounds more alive to me.

The X7 is not a comparatively "bright" sounding guitar (among carbon fiber guitars) to begin with, so for my taste, I like the extra high-end sparkle that come with uncoated 80/20 strings. Happy camper now. The X7 is sounding very good.

It's come a long way from the damp Emerald Isle, but it's right at home in the Sonoran Desert, and doesn't mind the dry 20% humidity one bit!

Sorry about the MAJOR thread drift. But I guess the topic does involve Rainsong & Emerald guitars, and I have one of each to speak about.

To my ears, Rainsong guitars tend to have a brighter overall character and Emeralds may tend to be considered a little "warmer", shall we say? Similar, in a way perhaps, to Taylor vs. Martin. Neither is "better"; they're just "different".

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Jim and John.... I think I found THE strings for my X7. The EXP11's (coated 80/20) lights that Emerald shipped the guitar with sounded a bit dull to me. As I mentioned earlier, I really like a sparkle and brilliance in my acoustic guitar tones. So I was slightly disappointed in the somewhat dull tone. (My RainSong CH-OM1100NS, by comparison, has a very responsive top and, inherently, has a brilliance to the tone.)

I just installed a set of EJ11's - UNcoated 80/20 lights on the X7 and I like the tone MUCH better now. Apparently, I'm one who really hears a difference between the coated EXP11's and the uncoated EJ11's. My decades of rock and roll and firearms enjoyment have probably whacked off a bit of my very high frequency hearing response, so I like to kick up the trebles a bit. And the uncoated 80/20s do just that.

I definitely notice a tonal change with the EXP strings compared to Elixir strings, the EXPs sound quite a bit warmer. I sort of prefer the sound and feel of strings that have broken in for quite a while... they tend to enter a sweet spot (to my ear) at around 1 month. Of course, this means coated strings are a must, so I've been sticking with the EXPs. I do agree that the coating seems to dull them down a tad, compared to uncoated D'Addario strings, but I haven't found any string to be as bright as the Elixirs. They almost seem piercing to me! Of course, this is one of those values that each player finds for themself, so YMMV and so on. I just wish I could find a good uncoated PB string that lasted as well as the EXPs.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I definitely notice a tonal change with the EXP strings compared to Elixir strings, the EXPs sound quite a bit warmer. I sort of prefer the sound and feel of strings that have broken in for quite a while... they tend to enter a sweet spot (to my ear) at around 1 month. Of course, this means coated strings are a must, so I've been sticking with the EXPs. I do agree that the coating seems to dull them down a tad, compared to uncoated D'Addario strings, but I haven't found any string to be as bright as the Elixirs. They almost seem piercing to me! Of course, this is one of those values that each player finds for themself, so YMMV and so on. I just wish I could find a good uncoated PB string that lasted as well as the EXPs.
MiG50... I have a couple sets of Elixir 80/20 Nano Lights and they are the next set that I have in mind to try on the X7. This old gun-shootin' rock 'n' roller may find the Elixirs to be "just the ticket" on the X7, though the EJ11's (uncoated 80/20s) are really sounding good right now!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the kind words DHart. You have great taste in guitars too. I'm also an old rocker/ gun enthusiast- maybe we don't "hear" just how bright our RainSongs are?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words DHart. You have great taste in guitars too. I'm also an old rocker/ gun enthusiast- maybe we don't "hear" just how bright our RainSongs are?
Sean! You may be right! And our RainSongs are causing others to cringe, scream, and grab their heads!!!! And we don't have a CLUE! YIKES.

But ya know? I'm really ok with that!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As part of aging, higher frequency sounds are the first to go with males. I think this plays a part in what we prefer in our guitar tone.

I also had it explained to me another way: self preservation... when your wife says, "Why didn't you do what I told you??", it may be physiological... that's what I'm going with anyway.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
You aren't the only one who loves the Cargo like crazy! That seems to be a very popular instrument. I can understand that - the CA OX-A that I borrowed from Kramster for a while was a really nice guitar! I wouldn't mind having one of those for my own! Great neck, played almost as easily as an electric guitar and sounded great too!

Knowing how you feel about the Cargo, if I were you I wouldn't let it go for anything else. Perhaps add something else, if you are compelled to do so, but not replacing the Cargo. You've bonded with that baby!

The X7 definitely does have a place in my world - it is especially nice to play tucked into a cosy recliner! And may just become my "coach" guitar when traveling in the motorhome.

The four acoustics (and fifteen electrics) that I have now are more than capable of filling every possible guitar niche I can think of for them. The X7 fills the "need a really small acoustic guitar" niche. There are times and situations where a guitar that small is nice to have. I just have to discover what string set sounds the best to me on the X7.
D, you are right about that. It would likely be a mistake for me to part with my Cargo, at least until I have another smaller guitar in-hand where I would truly know that the Cargo pales and is redundant, or still has a place. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 PM

Tom, I played a Cargo once and loved it! Went back to buy it and it was gone, arrgh.

DHart, keep us posted on your string changes.

Jim, I can relate to frequencies. Got a creeping case of nascent geezer hearing myself, roadwear. I like to warm up the tone of my RS guitars. On my Shorty, Martin Monel Retros do that pretty well. My Journey OF660 is already there in terms of good bass with the stock Nanowebs.

DHart and Jim, what might your X7 benefit from the most (for your taste): emphasizing bass, midrange, treble, etc? What tone works best for you?

I am so close to ordering an amber stock X7 for my porch swing. Closer now - no thanks to that beauty in the desert.

Interested in the results you get with your change(s) of strings.

Last edited by Res Ipsa; 10-17-2017 at 09:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber