The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD: Taylor 312ce (2014)

Taylor 312ce (2014) in excellent condition. All solid wood, spruce top, sapele back and sides. I purchased this guitar online from Fuller’s in Texas in December of 2014. It has a 2014 build date, per the serial number.

I had the back and sides of the guitar professionally buffed to a gloss finish by a local luthier (I’ll include the invoice for that modification in the case). He did a great job with it, and I think it looks and feels much nicer with the all-gloss finish; it really brings out the wood grain in the sapele. It did not affect the tone of the guitar at all. I only had him buff the body (back and sides) so it would match the top. The neck was left alone and is the standard satin finish. I liked the luthier's work so much that I had it done to another guitar. Please feel free to ask questions about this if you want to know more or have concerns.

The guitar sounds great, and has never left the house. It’s been stored with a Boveda Humidity system while not in use. Fret wear is almost non-existent. Pickguard has an area of swirling/scratches. I can include a replacement OEM black pickguard, if you want.

It has the ES2 pickup system, and obviously includes the OHSC. It has one very small ding on the back (about the size of a pin head), and an extremely shallow impression on the top, treble side lower bout near the binding. I’ve included pictures of the areas where the dings are, but I seriously cannot get them to show up in pictures. The top impression is too shallow, and the back grain/gloss hides it in photos. I did circle the area on the top, but it doesn't show up in pics. If this is an issue for you, I can try again in different light. They're cosmetic only, and they don't break the finish.

I haven’t played it very much in recent years, as I’ve been mostly playing my 12-fretters. So it’s been sitting unplayed.

$xxxx shipped/insured via FedEx. Would consider a trade for a Gibson LG-2 AE (2016 or newer) or a LA Guitar Sales Martin 00-15 (with the gloss, binding and 1 3/4 nut)

Last edited by Luckymud; 08-04-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Price change
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Wow, the gloss looks great. I just bought a 312ce 12-fret and I thought that's what this might be at first - was kicking myself! Good luck with the sale, seems like someone's going to make out with a beaut.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Wow, the gloss looks great. I just bought a 312ce 12-fret and I thought that's what this might be at first - was kicking myself! Good luck with the sale, seems like someone's going to make out with a beaut.
Thanks so much.

I was really happy with how good it came out. I had medium low expectations, but it made the back and sides look really stunning. Stock satin finish was nice, but seemed a little darker and more "even". The buff job really brought out the contrast in grain, and it kind of made it seem similar in color/tone to the 600 series.

Last edited by Luckymud; 04-19-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Very nice gloss!!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post

I had the back and sides of the guitar professionally buffed to a gloss finish by a local luthier ...It did not affect the tone of the guitar at all. ...
Usually you need to fill more minute irregularities to level and get to a gloss finish. So gloss finishes (from the factory) are typically thicker.

In this case, it sounds like you had enough finish to do the extra work to level it to a gloss. Under those circumstances your gloss finish will actually be minutely thinner and actually (IMO) improve tone so no one should be worried about the tone being adversely affected.

If the luthier heaped a heavy layer of top coat on there to smooth it out you would worry but that's not what was done, as I understand it.

So, excellent job - IMO the aesthetics were made much nicer *AND* it might have even improved the tone a teeny-tiny bit.

I have a Taylor GC that I love and I htink the 300-series are great guitars for the money (no connection to the seller - just a knowledgeable product owner).

GLWTS

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Usually you need to fill more minute irregularities to level and get to a gloss finish. So gloss finishes (from the factory) are typically thicker.

In this case, it sounds like you had enough finish to do the extra work to level it to a gloss. Under those circumstances your gloss finish will actually be minutely thinner and actually (IMO) improve tone so no one should be worried about the tone being adversely affected.

If the luthier heaped a heavy layer of top coat on there to smooth it out you would worry but that's not what was done, as I understand it.

So, excellent job - IMO the aesthetics were made much nicer *AND* it might have even improved the tone a teeny-tiny bit.

I have a Taylor GC that I love and I htink the 300-series are great guitars for the money (no connection to the seller - just a knowledgeable product owner).

GLWTS

Thanks, fazool.

The luthier didn’t add anything other than whatever buffing compound was used to achieve the gloss finish. No top coat was added before hand. I’m not sure if he buffed it out by hand or on a wheel, but he told me the hardest part is taking care to do it evenly and not burn through the finish down to the wood. I was glad he told me that because it means he was extra careful while handling my guitar.

I’ve buffed out a cheap ukulele by hand in a similar fashion, but I was way too scared to do it myself on a Taylor. I was very glad I had it done professionally.

Last edited by Luckymud; 04-20-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Weekend bump. Thanks for looking.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Sunday funday bump
Old 04-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Tuesday bump
Old 04-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Friday bump
Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Start of the week bump.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Middle of the week bump
Old 06-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Had some stuff come up and got distracted from this.

However, I'm back and ready to focus on selling it.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 PM

If you're looking at hog bodies, any interest in a Taylor 322e in similar condition? I really like the size and neck, but would prefer a spruce top.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ches View Post
If you're looking at hog bodies, any interest in a Taylor 322e in similar condition? I really like the size and neck, but would prefer a spruce top.

PM sent your way

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars