The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Default 2010 Olson SJ BW w/full vine

I'm a folksinger/public school teacher who wants to convert this guitar into a Sprinter van to take me to DC.

This is a "museum" piece guitar that Jim built for me in 2010. If you don't like bling, move on and put on sunglasses. The full vine has beautiful colors which dance in the light as you play. The guitar has been played, yet is virtually spotless. Why? I take care of my guitars. The guitar has opened up beautifully and, in my opinion, sounds like a grand piano. It took me one full year of playing gigs in Minnesota to pay for it in 2010.

Price? I likely wouldn't sell it for less than $30k. I'm not going to worry about it. Perhaps you're a rich guitarist and could pay a premium, if so, hooray! I don't know. I'm taking the best offer I get and am going to move fast. My new van will depreciate in value from day one; this guitar will appreciate. I've come to understand that I was only a custodian of Jim's craftsmanship and it is time for the next custodian. This guitar, well cared for, should last hundreds of years. A new van will allow me to continue bringing music to kids, travel to Washington, and take a nap whenever I get tired.

PRICE Drop: $28,500

Tim Brown

Pictures here: https://olsonsj2017.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Last edited by Earthworm; 03-10-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Political comment
Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Nice! If I were rich, I'd help you on your way! Good luck!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Thanks, Canerod,

Here's a fun video of me singing with kids yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCa3QUBH-s
Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

That is a beautiful Olson you have there ! I am a huge fan of the bling and vining. Did Jim do the vining ? I know he has farmed that out on certain builds. You might want to list the details of the build.

This is a rare piece that should command a top price. Best of luck !

1973 Guild D40 6 string.

1995 Olson SJ
Old 03-06-2018, 03:39 PM

Yes, the vine was Jim's work and his choice of colors for the inlay are spectacular. When I have more time today/tonight I'll post more pics, details, etc.

This guitar is an incredible example of old world craftsmanship. When you hold it and begin to play, all of your doubts wash away.

In the meantime, check out my YouTube channel: Tim Brown. I'm sure there are videos of me playing it live at a gig.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Are you open to offers? I could drive a bargain similar to Phoebe and I live super close, so I'll pick it up ;-)

That guitar is all of Jim's madness perfectly on display. Someone will be lucky to acquire it, especially as his stuff continues to grow in value and he continues to limit his production. GLWS
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Absolutely open to offers. This guitar kept me GAS free up until a Taylor baritone 8 purchase last month. My posts on the forum dropped to almost nothing during the years since I took delivery. What could account for such a precipitous drop?

BTW, the original build thread is probably here, right?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:10 PM

I've updated the photos with ones from the build. This is Jim's #1336 guitar and it's a beauty.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Thanks, Canerod,

Here's a fun video of me singing with kids yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCa3QUBH-s

That’s a pretty heavy song for a bunch of school kids. Maybe they could relate better to some Ed Sheehan? Just sayin...good luck with your sale.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Point taken about the heaviness of the song and I'll re-evaluate using it. One thing to note is that the song was sandwiched between other fun and silly songs. I am hyper aware of the students and their emotions while performing. Sometimes I play the wrong song at the wrong time. For example, I played You've Got a Friend to 6th graders once and I started getting misty-eyed missing my own daughters. Suddenly, little squalls of lament broke out in the classroom. "I miss my sister," said one little guy whose sister was in college across the countrty. "I miss my granny." The emotion in the song created pandemonium. We all did some sniffling and, eventually, went back to our classwork. Catharsis.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Very beautiful. I owned a nice Olson once, but yours is something else! Good luck with the sale.

By the way, I'm thinking your Public School Teacher's Union must have some really great negotiating skills around contract time.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva238 View Post
Very beautiful. I owned a nice Olson once, but yours is something else! Good luck with the sale.

By the way, I'm thinking your Public School Teacher's Union must have some really great negotiating skills around contract time.
You missed his note about a year's worth of gigs to pay for it.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Gorgeous guitar. Olson SJ’s sound like heaven, I still think about one I sold last year (#1327). GLWTS!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Point taken about the heaviness of the song and I'll re-evaluate using it. One thing to note is that the song was sandwiched between other fun and silly songs. I am hyper aware of the students and their emotions while performing. Sometimes I play the wrong song at the wrong time. For example, I played You've Got a Friend to 6th graders once and I started getting misty-eyed missing my own daughters. Suddenly, little squalls of lament broke out in the classroom. "I miss my sister," said one little guy whose sister was in college across the countrty. "I miss my granny." The emotion in the song created pandemonium. We all did some sniffling and, eventually, went back to our classwork. Catharsis.
I disagree that it’s inappropriate. Certainly it’s not Castle in the Hill, but it’s got a message that’s as relevant today as it was 45 years ago ... the kids will be parents some day too, and they have two opportunities to break the curse .. with their own parents or with their own kids ... might as well get started in 6th grade.

I applaud your work ... the music for the kids and probably the protests.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
You missed his note about a year's worth of gigs to pay for it.
And that's still pretty impressive money for folksinging!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
brazilian rosewood, cutaway, full vine, olson sj, timbrownmusic