The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Default New Guitar Day...1st Reverend

So excited. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning! I’m 42. Have played since I was 8. I played only acoustics for many years. Then got back into electrics about 6 years ago.

I lead a large worship band and have owned what seems like every guitar available. Taylor. Langejans. Martin. Santa Cruz. Larrivee. Gibson. Fender Strat and Tele (US/Jap/Mexi. In fact I still have an 87 E series Japan made Strat, and a 72 Deluxe reissue Tele, as well as a Gretsch (G5620T-CB), Ernie Ball, Sterling, Ibanez, Gibson, Epiphone... I could go on...but I can’t recall anymore. Lol!

BUT, one guitar I’ve missed out on is a Reverend. We had a band in and the lead guitarist was playing one. Not even sure of the model as it was years ago. But, it stuck with me to this day. Lurking in the back of my mind, but unfortunately there are no Reverend delears within close proximity.

Enter Maury’s Music. From my brief time chatting with Maury and his staff I’ve been incredibly impressed with their personable, down to earth approach. Customer service in 2018...WHA?!? Who knew there was such a thing.

Anyway, I digress. So tomorrow the big brown truck will bring this beauty to my stable

763D8BE4-2AF0-44B1-A1C9-7ACAA09EFD5D.jpg

0353FC38-F430-472B-B21C-D72C96E9F722.jpg

CB305F16-BD9F-4BDA-A0CD-A902A230BDBD.jpg

This is the JetStream HB shown in their demo. NOS in deep sea blue. Really dig the color! I didn't care for the teardrop style case so I went with the Reverend S case. Got a great deal on both and am looking forward to unboxing and spending the day with her.

Figured I’d share my anticipation with my forum friends. My wife requests one go out if one comes in...so I’ve two listed here. Maybe she’ll forget...but after 27 years of being together (hs sweethearts)...I doubt it.

Maybe I’ll be so elated sending one out won’t hurt so badly

Any other Reverend love?
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 03-05-2018, 06:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That's a pretty color! Enjoy!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

That's lovely... I like that color!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of Reverend. Really nice guitars, great sound, and the bass contour is a game changer. Price point is very low considering the quality of the instrument. Enjoy!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:49 AM

China puts out some nice guitars these days, but those Koreans do an amazing job (I have an Agile from the World factory - it's amazing). I've not put hands on a Reverend, but I've heard they're great, and they're checked/set up once they arrive here. If I were in the market, I'd look hard at Reverend.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

I have been VERY impressed by each Reverend electric I've had my hands on... the quality, the fit and finish, the necks, the electronics, tuning machines and hardware... even the departures from your standard "Gibson/Fender" platforms are well thought-out and executed in useful, functional manners...

This, from a guy who was raised in Fullerton through the 50's and 60's and played nothing but those old Fender electrics back in the day... and I own a couple mid-70's Gibsons, one of which I have "frankensteined" completely so I can get a bunch of the sounds I want to hear...

Turns out, I could have just gotten one of the Reverends!

Beautiful guitar! Have fun with that dude...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-05-2018, 06:21 PM

Congrats! I know very little about Reverend guitars but I know I'll have to try one out on one of my guitar store visits. Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Congratulations on your new Reverend!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Great color too. Congrats!
Old 03-06-2018, 04:07 PM

I like it! I didnt even know about them until I saw Unknown Hinson playing his signature model. They have a pretty cool tone.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for all the kind words and kudos. Haven’t had more than a few minutes to unbox and inspect. I’ve owned a LOT of guitars. This is really a gorgeous piece. More so in person. Looking forward to some quality playing time. Will throw on a set of strap locks and put her through the paces this weekend. Thinking an extra long set may be in order

Now if only the market wasn’t so unbelievably soft. I have 2 OUTSTANDING guitars for sale at what I feel are ridiculouly fair prices. Nothing more than nibbles. Honestly I’m a little surprised. I realize this is primarily an acoustic forum. But as a long time member I recall the days where ANY great guitar, electric or acoustic, wouldn’t last more than a day or two on here.

I’ve even put them on crooks list. Anyway, I digress. More info to come after I’ve had the opportunity to play her through my home rig, and then my stage rig with the band. My expectations are high. So far I’m not disappointed.

Here’s a teaser pic until I have time to take my own photos of her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6C5483C-83B5-483B-B055-EA2910759C37.jpg (42.4 KB, 109 views)
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 03-09-2018, 09:58 PM

I have a Reverend Stu D Baker model. Semi- hollow w/ 24-3/4" scale bolt on neck, 2 P-90s. It is a very righteous guitar. I often play it in preference to my Gibson ES-339.
Reverend does a lot of things right, starting with their outside the box designs and ending with their customer service. they are very good sounding, high quality instruments. Congratulations on your new Rev. Turn it up loud.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
So excited. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning! I’m 42. Have played since I was 8. I played only acoustics for many years. Then got back into electrics about 6 years ago.

I lead a large worship band and have owned what seems like every guitar available. Taylor. Langejans. Martin. Santa Cruz. Larrivee. Gibson. Fender Strat and Tele (US/Jap/Mexi. In fact I still have an 87 E series Japan made Strat, and a 72 Deluxe reissue Tele, as well as a Gretsch (G5620T-CB), Ernie Ball, Sterling, Ibanez, Gibson, Epiphone... I could go on...but I can’t recall anymore. Lol!

BUT, one guitar I’ve missed out on is a Reverend. We had a band in and the lead guitarist was playing one. Not even sure of the model as it was years ago. But, it stuck with me to this day. Lurking in the back of my mind, but unfortunately there are no Reverend delears within close proximity.

Enter Maury’s Music. From my brief time chatting with Maury and his staff I’ve been incredibly impressed with their personable, down to earth approach. Customer service in 2018...WHA?!? Who knew there was such a thing.

Anyway, I digress. So tomorrow the big brown truck will bring this beauty to my stable

Attachment 6191

Attachment 6192

Attachment 6193

This is the JetStream HB shown in their demo. NOS in deep sea blue. Really dig the color! I didn't care for the teardrop style case so I went with the Reverend S case. Got a great deal on both and am looking forward to unboxing and spending the day with her.

Figured I’d share my anticipation with my forum friends. My wife requests one go out if one comes in...so I’ve two listed here. Maybe she’ll forget...but after 27 years of being together (hs sweethearts)...I doubt it.

Maybe I’ll be so elated sending one out won’t hurt so badly

Any other Reverend love?
That's a really cool guitar. They have quite an extensive line and they are all very unique guitars. Everytime I go to their site its like a kid in a candy store!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Ok...so after playing through a few live sets, and multiple hours through my home rig I’m impressed. Build quality is stellar. Hard to believe these are imports. I’ve played some American made guitars that lacked the build quality and attention to detail. Import builds have come a LLLOOONNNGGGG way. I’d expect this to be double it’s retail price. Or possibly a shade under double. Definitely a LOT of guitar for the price point.

Tone wise I’d say it’s somewhere between a Gibson and a Strat. Versatile with HUGE low end. My wife and other band mates that were on stage with me commented on how the stage floor was vibrating when I had the bass contour rolled up to max. E or F chord rumble for days...seriously.

Roll that back a bit, and back the tone knob off a smidge and it’s right in my “sweet spot” range. Strong lows that ride the line...just enough to sound full but not to much to be overbearing. Present mids. Almost flat or barely boosted above flat. Nice smooth highs.

I did have to “tweak” the knobs to find this “sweet spot”. The highs can be a bit shrill if not tamed. And the bass contour, while a great feature, must be dialed in properly or 1. You’ll get lost in the mix and get muddy and 2. It seems to add not just bass but some volume as well.

The neck is perfect for me. Somewhat Fenderish. Id described it as a C shape. Maybe a bit under fat. Full but comfortable full. Similar to the 72 Deluxe. Just right for my hands. Satin roasted maple neck...smooth and fast. Slight roll to the board with smooth frets. The longer scale took me a little bit to get used to. A bit stiffer string tension but nothing that deterred me.

It’s very, very comfortable to play. The body contour is great. Maybe not as comfy as the 72 but good nonetheless. FWIW the 72 is probably the most comfortable guitar I’ve played in a long time. The Reverend isn’t far behind.

The Wilkinson bridge is awesome. Comfortable for palm mutes and rock solid intonation wise. The locking tuners are smooth and provide solid, issue free tuning.

I played an hour long set with the band last night and didn’t have to stop and tune once. That’s impressive! And an absolute priority for me. Especially when playing live.

Of course I really dig the look, and the color. The slight metal flake looks great under stage lights.

The Reverend S case is nothing special. Typical non formed case. Decent quality. Reverend badge. It’s ok. I don’t care for the tear drop Reverend cases so it was an ok option. I’ll prob buy a molded TSA Strat/Tele case as I’ve read it would fit.

The one let down was the guitars setup. Ordered it online. Unfortunately there are no Reverend dealers near me. For hundreds of miles.

The guitar arrived with the action RIDICULOUSLY high. It was intonated fine but was not comfortable to play at all. I was shocked. I’d read so many great things about Reverends “out of the box” setup. Unfortunately I didn’t experience that AT ALL.

I’ve played for well over 30 years and have learned to do my own setups. In fact, I rather enjoy doing setups. But, I also enjoy NOT having to do them.

I pulled out the trusty pocket rule. 8/64 at the small E. 9/64 at the big E. Neck needed tweaked first. Then lowered the trem some. Then onto string height. Down to comfy 4.5/64 on both small E and Big E. Neck set to .010 relief. Tuned. Ahhhh. That’s it!

Playing unplugged...vibrations throughout my rib cage. Nice, strong resonance. That’s what I was expecting. Plugged it in...sustain for days.

Overall I’m VERY pleased. So much so that I may pickup another soon. The Double agent OG is on the short list.

The wife says that’s not happening anytime soon. Maybe when this terribly soft market bounces back I can sell a few To help offset the “evil eye”. Anyone need a 72 Tele Deluxe RI or a nice Gretsch G5620T-CB
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 03-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Ok...so after playing through a few live sets, and multiple hours through my home rig I’m impressed.
Great review, though surprising to hear you had to tweak the neck(!) and do your own basic setup (9/64!?). One of Reverend's better selling points is that they're made abroad, but we tweak 'em here before sending them to you. As the owner of a Korean-made Agile, I can attest to SK's high quality fit/finish work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars