The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 PM

Default Antonio Picado Guitar

Has anyone had experiences with Antonio Picado Guitar? Antonio Picado has established his workshop in Spain for over forty years.
Would like to know about the tonal quality and playability of these workshop made classical guitars!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 PM

I have a Model 54, dark and firm sound. Fine construction.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 AM

I have owned 4-5 ranging the whole model range, all bought new dating back about 7 years. They are nice handmade spanish guitars (rare in their price range). The best value models I believe are the 49 and the 60, if you have decide on that maker go for the 60.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrooks View Post
I have owned 4-5 ranging the whole model range, all bought new dating back about 7 years. They are nice handmade spanish guitars (rare in their price range). The best value models I believe are the 49 and the 60, if you have decide on that maker go for the 60.
60 is a good suggestion!
One user who using 60 told me that Picado is well balanced and has good sound projection.
I would like to compare Picado models to high end Cordoba models such as C9 and C10 in terms of tone and playability.
Also, is the quality of Picado consistent?
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM

You cant even compare them, Córdobas are Chinese made mass produced guitars that sound good but don’t last at all. Picados are handmade in Spain by a small workshop of 5-6 workers and will be lifetime instruments if you want them to be. They are consistent though there is some variation, I would recommend buying one that is already made rather than ordering it to be made.

The picados I owned had low action at the nut and about medium action at the 12th fret.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrooks View Post
.....Córdobas are Chinese made mass produced guitars that sound good but don’t last at all.
Don't last at all? Please elaborate....
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 AM

In my recent experience after the Córdoba line was revamped a few years back (with the design help of Kenny Hill among others). They built the guitars much lighter which did make them sound louder and more responsive, however most I have experienced tend have the top warp or have the bridge pull up, even with proper humidification. This is why I steer away from them... but to each their own obviously
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 AM

That's way too broad of a dismissal of Cordoba.

I own numerous Cordoba guitars. My GK Pro Negra has been my daily go to guitar for 3 years. It gets played every day, been to numerous workshops open mic nights, etc.. No evidence of any bridge lift or the top warp you suggest. Same goes for my other Cordoba guitars.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-19-2018, 01:05 PM

Picado also has a double back model... 62DT

"The 62 DT is actually a double back (Madagascar Rosewood/ spacer/Cedar which allows the inner cedar back to respond without the dampening of the the player's body on the outer layer of the back. This construction produces enchanting overtones with deeper resonance, louder and longer sustain than the single back version."

https://dulcetguitars.com/t/antonio-picado
Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM

I strongly agree with DK stott as I have various Cordobas c7. c9. and C10 and even a C3M and have had no problems whatsoever with the quality of the guitars. Don; care where they are built as long as I like the sound and playability.
Regards
Norman2
Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 PM

I have a 1968 Taurus model 56 classical guitar that I bought off of Kijiji (like Craig's list) a few years ago for $450 Cnd. I believe Antonio Picado worked in the Taurus shop in Barcelona, Spain at that time. I am not sure if he made my guitar but it sounds very nice and is easy to play. It has a clear and balanced sound with good projection. It is the guitar I play the most even though it is the least expensive. I like the sound of my Bernabe M50 better which has a richer tone and better projection but I always seem to come back to my Taurus.

Taurus is said to have made Estudio guitars for Ramirez at that time so it should share some of the sound characteristics of a Ramirez. I have a 1979 Ramirez 1a 10 string that sounds warmer but still clear and seems easier to play (except for the humungous fingerboard) but the Taurus is still nice. Considering that a new Ramirez 1a 10 string would be around $15K that is saying something.

I don't know about new Picado guitars as I don't have any experience with them but the old Taurus guitars are very nice if you can find one.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II

Last edited by BernebeM50; 02-19-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
That's way too broad of a dismissal of Cordoba.
I agree....

I've had several cordoba guitars - C9, C12, Master Series Torres - and they were all extremely well-constructed guitars. I live in hot, humid southeast Louisiana and they handled the humidity fluctuations with no problem.

In my experience, the Cordoba guitars made in China are some of the finest factory instruments in the world, both in build quality and performance.

My two cents...
Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
Picado also has a double back model... 62DT

"The 62 DT is actually a double back (Madagascar Rosewood/ spacer/Cedar which allows the inner cedar back to respond without the dampening of the the player's body on the outer layer of the back. This construction produces enchanting overtones with deeper resonance, louder and longer sustain than the single back version."

https://dulcetguitars.com/t/antonio-picado
DT is confusing! "DB" should have been better called.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:21 AM

Anyone has first-hand experience with both Picado and Cordoba Guitar? Compare the tonal quality and playability side by side please?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Cordobas strike me as warm and smooth - Protege C1, Cadete, Fusion Orchestra, F7, C12
My Picado is dark and defined - 54

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical