The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Fwiw, AGFer studioman has an OX in the classifieds that he's been trying to sell for quite some time with ongoing repeated bumps. No takers even though the price seems quite good...now down to $1,049, I think.

Here's a link to the thread. Links to the guitar pics are in post #3. The guitar looks really nice. I think it might have a gloss blue top.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455485

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-05-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:27 PM

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had an Ox. It plowed many fields. It was good for just about everything and a perfect size. Unfortunately, it was a steel string guitar and I passed it along to a friend of mine, who got about three years out of it before his prodigy musician son claimed the guitar. As you can tell, I think highly of the Ox.
Glad to hear your views on the OX. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 PM

There is just something different about these current pics of guitars and past pics....I just can't seem to figure out what it is????
Old 08-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Prolly just the guy playing distorting that whole time/light/ E= something squared and such... best explanation on short notice I could find whilst doing zeeero research.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

DHart, in a very short period of time since your first exposure to CF/composite guitars, besides Ted and kramster (and because of him), you are lucky to probably now have more experience to have tried a number of CF guitars back-to-back than most of us. I assume you also tried krams Savoy. I, for one, am envious. So, with all this auditioning and fun, have you made a decision on which you prefer and will likely buy? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Fwiw, AGFer studioman has an OX in the classifieds that he's been trying to sell for quite some time with ongoing repeated bumps. No takers even though the price seems quite good...now down to $1,049, I think.

Here's a link to the thread. Links to the guitar pics are in post #3. The guitar looks really nice. I think it might have a gloss blue top.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455485
Thanks for that info. I still am undecided about what my first CF guitar will be, but the OX is definitely a strong contender!

I've told Mark that I'd like right of first refusal if he ever decides to sell his. I think perhaps he needs to make some more room for some of the newer models that are coming on the scene, like the Journey RT660, which looks to be a great guitar for a very modest price! I like that it isn't a break-in-two model like its sister 660 model.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Prolly just the guy playing distorting that whole time/light/ E= something squared and such... best explanation on short notice I could find whilst doing zeeero research.
Mark... will you identify what guitar is in each pic that you post? I get a bit "consufed" at times, looking at these different models! You have so many that after a while, some can tend to blur together a bit. Except some of the models really stand out as being different, like the X20 and the Savoy.

Last edited by DHart; 08-05-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Kramster can, will, and must ROCK ON! Great Guy! Great Videos! Great Sharer Of Experiences & Resources!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
CA OXE, here.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah that must be it, I mistakenly was thinking it was the subject matter, but then there is a guitar in all the photos, that is a given, what was different???? I think you nailed it, time/light/ energy....yep that is it.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
DHart, in a very short period of time since your first exposure to CF/composite guitars, besides Ted and kramster (and because of him), you are lucky to probably now have more experience to have tried a number of CF guitars back-to-back than most of us. I assume you also tried krams Savoy. I, for one, am envious. So, with all this auditioning and fun, have you made a decision on which you prefer and will likely buy? Inquiring minds want to know!
Tom... it has been such a blessing to meet Kramster and have the opportunity to compare, side by side, and back to back, so many CF guitars! Many, many thanks to Mark for his generosity.

Being totally straight forward here, I went into this thinking I would be buying an X20. On playing the X20, I now feel that I want something a bit smaller. I wish that I had an opportunity to try the X7, but that will have to happen on another occasion. I have a hunch that when it comes to Emerald, an X10 might be just THE ticket, for ME - not small, not large, but just right - a "Goldilocks" sized guitar! Long wait time and relatively high cost may dampen that move just a bit. But now that my curiosity about these models has been largely satisfied, I'm in no big hurry, really. They are all quite different from each other.

I'm still kicking it all around. The CA OX is appealing; I like the size, playability, and tonal qualities. And the price isn't bad. But I haven't played a current production model coming from Peavey, and I have some qualms about what I've read about Peavey's customer service. And I read the Peavey rep saying the they had to change a lot of things from the pre-Peavey models? Makes me wonder what Peavey has changed from the pre-Peavey model I played and enjoyed.

The Savoy is a uniquely attractive looking model, small size (probably a little smaller than I might want), and beautiful to look at. But, the instrument's strong emphasis on the upper mid-range of tones appealed less to me than the fuller and more well-balanced tonality coming from the Rainsong CH-OM. Ultimately, I put the most importance on playability and tone - not so much on looks. I think Blackbird might do well to continue tweaking the Savoy design to achieve a more balanced tonal response.

The McPherson Touring model felt and sounded good to me. But comparing to the Rainsong CH-OM (as I compared all of the guitars to this model), the Rainsong was at least as good playing and sounding, and for perhaps $1350 vs $2850? That kind of price difference ($1500!) is difficult for some of us to ignore.

The Journey OF660 has a special and unique appeal for those who fly (I'm an RVer, not a flyer) so, it wasn't really my cup o' tea. Although I am interested in checking out Journey's new RT660, if I get the chance, which is not a "take down" model and is a little larger, I believe, than then OF660. It has an appealing body shape that looks like it would be very comfortable to hold. The price is certainly quite reasonable.

The larger Rainsong CH-WS and the smaller Rainsong CH-Parlor were nice instruments, but the former is a bit larger than I prefer and the latter is somewhat small in size and tone, for me. I'm a little over 6' with proportionately long arms and can easily play dreadnaught size guitars, though I still prefer the comfort of an acoustic guitar about the size of an OM.

The Rainsong CH-OM was the instrument that impressed me the most! And it was probably the least costly of the bunch! The playability, full and very well-balanced tonality, comfortable medium-size, and remarkably low cost all add up to this being a major contender. That said, I do like the "look" of woven carbon fiber on the top, which might steer me to a Rainsong H-OM model, which is a few hundred dollars more money than the CH-OM.

So... I'm still kicking ideas around and open to new discoveries! What an enlightening three hours I was able to enjoy, thanks to Kramster!

Last edited by DHart; 08-15-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Kramster can, will, and must ROCK ON! Great Guy! Great Videos! Great Sharer Of Experiences & Resources!
So true... Kramster is a wonderfully generous, happy, and friendly person who happens to have a lot of cool CF guitars that he thrives on sharing with the rest of us!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber