The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Hope you stay safe, Bruce.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Mahogany I used on Vic's guitar turns out to have a great color. I used no stain though it is darkened a bit by the porefiller used after sealing. Here it is with the first of a probably 7 coats of oil varnish:

Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

I made a reference to my top bracing pattern in a thread in "Build and Repair", and am putting this picture of Bob's SJ bracing here to illustrate my point:

Old 10-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Thought this thread would be as good of place as any to post this, I wrote a little about it in the Woodstock thread....

I got to meet the one and only Bruce Sexauer at Woodstock...wasn't really sure what to expect as how does one really know someone based on online interactions? At one point, I thought business was going to take me to California close to Bruce and was going to visit, but this fell through so I was looking forward to this opportunity.

Bruce is just a great, funny, sarcastic, wonderful guy! I had a great time meeting him and talking everything from guitars, to cars, to fires, and speculating on how long Cigarfan was going to around hahaha! I thoroughly enjoyed the time!

Now his guitars... well first of all, they are all feather light, I mean he almost had to tie them down so they would not float off the stands. Bob, (iim7V7IM7) had one of his Sexauers there that I took into a quiet room and HOLY COW, this guy really does know how to build a guitar. This was a BRW with I think an Italian Spruce top, but after a weekend of guitars, I may be wrong on the top. It was a small body with a HUGE sound. So responsive as I carried it to the quiet room the voices in the building were causing the guitar to vibrate like it was alive! The bass, trebles, sustain, nice overtones, it was as close to a perfect instrument as I think can be made within the natural variances of working with an organic material.

So the take away: Bruce is a heck of a nice guy and builds one heck of a guitar....If you get a chance, add one to your stable, and here's a toast to Bruce building these wonderful guitars for many many more years!!!

Tom
Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

I once asked my relatively educated and socially savvy friend Eric Schoenberg what the appropriate response is when someone simply gushes in their enthusiasm for his guitars, and he did give me some advice, which I will put to use right here.

Thank you, Tom.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM

While I have yet to meet Bruce I have seen a number of video clips about him. It gave me a little fuller perspective of him than I got from his posts. Yeah, Bruce is alright. Hey that reminds me, was there another clip of your local meetings? I remember watching the one a couple of times to make sure not I didn't miss anything.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
While I have yet to meet Bruce I have seen a number of video clips about him. It gave me a little fuller perspective of him than I got from his posts. Yeah, Bruce is alright. Hey that reminds me, was there another clip of your local meetings? I remember watching the one a couple of times to make sure not I didn't miss anything.
I do have some raw video made by Tad, but it wil have to be edited to remove audacious spontaneous audio. I find myself with a rather full plate lately. Thank you for the nudge.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

The recent (got home at 2 am this morning) WILS was, as always, a great event for all of us, but this one had a difference, I believe. I have never before seen so many guitars change hands at a show. It may be that last years was as good, but I wasn't there.

Thank you to all who attended, but none more so than Baker Rorick. Here Here!!!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:24 PM

Default sales

That was the same conclusion I came to as well - lots more sales than I have noticed in the past.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am back to work the last couple of days, as you are likely aware since Bob, for whom I am currently working, is putting in the time when it comes to keeping his nearby thread current. Today I bent and installed the sides in his Oz B'wood J-185 inspired Small Jumbo. I have some trepidation about hand bending the rather tight cutaway as I have had more than a little trouble with scorching this particular wood in the past. I allowed a little more heat on the inside than on the outside to get a sense of what would work. I think the outside is scorch free, and the worst on the inside is in the picture following. I am feeling pretty good about it.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sometime in the next few builds I am going to make a Pernambuco OM. Itll be very straight forward, no bells and whistles, a regular guitar except the Pernambuco. I mention this because this leaves me just 3 sets of the quartersawn P unspoken for of the 17 I had at one point. I do have a few flat sawn sets, and while they do make just as good sounding a guitar IMO, they also have a tendency to crack, though some of my customers don't mind this. They are considerably less expensive. When the good P is gone I have no expectation of being able to get any more.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Would it be worth a shot laminating a thin sheet of some other wood on the inside to mitigate the cracking? Might not dampen the sound too much, might change the stiffness though.

Oh wait, a thin sheet relative to your regular thicknesses is a piece of paper.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

The best fix for the problem is to realize that the cracks really don't make a meaningful difference in the instrument. Not to the playability, certainly, but also not to the sound as far as I can tell, and not to the longevity either. Since I sold my personal guitar of the last ten years a month ago, I am happily settling into P L00 I made for the Memphis show that I took camping in the desert along the way. You remember? It is a simply fantastically beautiful sounding guitar IMO. One of my best. Maybe a dozen cracks, but no more than it had after I got home from the trip.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

A P OM, eh? I may have to talk to you about that -
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Ah, the “good stuff”...Just a touch of rift in the outer wings of the lower bout..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop