The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM

So if I said "Not my cup of tea" everyone would have been happy? LOL OK, so I used a strong descriptive, but that's how I felt about those guitars. And if in the future I found a CF guitar that sounded good to me and was competitively priced to other guitars I was looking at I would consider a purchase.

The two CF guitars I played were used but in very good shape. They were also price higher than a few Martin, Guild, and Taylor guitars I played that new cost less than the Rainsong guitars used and to me they sounded better.

I paid a lot less than $2800 for my new Martin w/ohsc a few years back that had a list of $3900+.

Again, my personal subjective experience.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
So if I said "Not my cup of tea" everyone would have been happy? LOL OK, so I used a strong descriptive, but that's how I felt about those guitars. And if in the future I found a CF guitar that sounded good to me and was competitively priced to other guitars I was looking at I would consider a purchase.

The two CF guitars I played were used but in very good shape. They were also price higher than a few Martin, Guild, and Taylor guitars I played that new cost less than the Rainsong guitars used and to me they sounded better.

I paid a lot less than $2800 for my new Martin w/ohsc a few years back that had a list of $3900+.

Again, my personal subjective experience.
It is entirely possible that the used RainSongs you tried cost you more than some Martins, Guilds and Taylors you've played, depending on the series/models. But that shouldn't cloud the truth of the broader picture. The $4-5k prices you state are simply, generally not true. Trust that many players have shared similar views as you and posted about it here. A number of them have been intrigued enough to stick around and discover the real truth, including having become CF owners and enthusiasts. You can, and maybe will find a CF guitar that sounds fantastic to you in a way that shouldn't necessarily be compared to wood, but wonderful just the same. It may even take a leap of faith in buying without having actually seen or played as so many of us have done and been most pleasantly surprised by the tone and playability, let alone all the minimal maintenance issues compared to wood. Most CF builders have generous try and return policies. Emerald is even soon to roll-out it's 'road show' where one can get on a mailing list to receive, try, and forward various models on to the next person...just pay for shipping. I for one, hope you stick around. You first posted because CF does intrigue you on some level. I look forward to the pics of the CF guitar that excites you when it has arrived and you've fallen in love with it.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanks Acoustacado.

It wasn't my intent to infuriate anyone. Just expressing my first impressions and my personal, although limited, experience with CF guitars.

Peace…..
Old 06-02-2016, 02:34 PM

I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong. And if I am, it will be to my benefit.

I'm presently looking at nylon string guitars.

I prefer a more narrow neck than the traditional Classical guitars.
I'd like a cutaway or 14 frets to the body.

I'm considering a few scenarios.

I have an email quote from an authorized and reputable dealer on the lower side of under $900 delivered for a Godin ACS Slim w/Godin Gig Bag.

I'm also looking at the Cordoba line of nylon stringed guitars…possibly a crossover…maybe not.

Would someone like to suggest a CF guitar that is compatible to the above mentioned guitars at a similar price point?

Tell me I missed the boat. Show me the "XYZ" guitar that I'm not aware of.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong. And if I am, it will be to my benefit.

I'm presently looking at nylon string guitars.

I prefer a more narrow neck than the traditional Classical guitars.
I'd like a cutaway or 14 frets to the body.

I'm considering a few scenarios.

I have an email quote from an authorized and reputable dealer on the lower side of under $900 delivered for a Godin ACS Slim w/Godin Gig Bag.

I'm also looking at the Cordoba line of nylon stringed guitars…possibly a crossover…maybe not.

Would someone like to suggest a CF guitar that is compatible to the above mentioned guitars at a similar price point?

Tell me I missed the boat. Show me the "XYZ" guitar that I'm not aware of.
There are some very good CF options that have recently been discussed here, but certainly north of the $900 price point for reasons discussed in other threads on this forum. Hopefully, Evan and other nylon aficionados will chime-in. Check out the thread "Evan's Emerald Nylon Guitar Adventures", especially post #76 to view his new nylon Emerald X10N.

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-02-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Guest 928

Gorquin;

I've had several Godin instruments, including the ACS Slim. His guitars are nice and, I think, priced well. I gave up the ACS at some point because I realized I wanted acoustic sound along with the ability to power up if desired. I cruised through some nice Cordoba guitars and I think they make some nice instruments. In short, the two you mention will probably serve your needs nicely.

To my knowledge you will not find a CF nylon string at the ACS Slim or Cordoba price. For a bit more you might find a used Rainsong Parlor nylon string. The parlor was clearly designed for someone moving from steel string to nylon string play; it has a fairly narrow nut. It is a 12 fret, but the design is such that it plays like a 14 fret--it has nice reach.

CF instruments are expensive. I played through more than 40 nylon string guitars in looking for my ideal instrument. At one point I had 14 wooden instruments. I am now down to two: the Parlor and the Emerald.

When you get to the price you pay for a good Martin, then I think CF makes sense and so do a lot of people on this forum. Given what you've said so far, I think you will do well to get an inexpensive wooden nylon string guitar and then start keeping an eye out for opportunities to play various CF guitars. As Tom noted, Emerald is beginning a road trip series that will allow players to essentially rent a guitar for a week.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM

Acousticado and Evan, thanks for the input.

Evan, I think you've made my point for me as far as pricing goes.

If any of those who said I was uniformed and spoke in ignorance has input on where I can find a new CF nylon string guitar for $900…..I'm all ears. Prove me wrong, I want you to. I'll be happy you proved me wrong.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
First of thank you for the well intended reference calling me ignorant when expressing an opinion you disagree with. I didn't say any of you spoke out of ignorance because you like and/or own a CF guitar.

If some of you actually understood what I said…I did NOT condemn all CF guitars. I said I played a few Rainsong guitars that I, ME, A subjective person just like YOU, thought sounded like garbage. If that offends someone ….sorry. I am entitled to an opinion. Perhaps they were low end guitars? Either way it shouldn't matter. One can find people on AG who don't like Martin, Taylor or some other brand.

No one has to agree with me. In my "opinion" I don't see the logic of spending $4K-$5K on a CF when I can, IN MY OPINION, get the sound I want from a guitar made out of wood for much less. I'm not telling, and didn't tell, anyone else not to buy one. Some said I should refrain from posting until I get educated on the subject. Right…you mean until I agree with you. Talk about elitism.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you but you came across as very Trump-like and that ain't good, at least in my book.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Acousticado and Evan, thanks for the input.

Evan, I think you've made my point for me as far as pricing goes.

If any of those who said I was uniformed and spoke in ignorance has input on where I can find a new CF nylon string guitar for $900…..I'm all ears. Prove me wrong, I want you to. I'll be happy you proved me wrong.
You're welcome, but I don't get it...now you've gone to the other (low) end of the spectrum simply to try and prove a point. Is that really necessary?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:51 PM

I didn't see anyone berating those who said I spoke in ignorance. Evan pretty much confirmed my opinion on price point.

If I'm a bit crude…sorry….I guess I'm a bit "old School". But, like I said….i'll be happy to be proven wrong if someone can come up with a suggestion for a CF nylon string at $900. Don't think that's going to happen but I'd welcome the info.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM

SpruceTop….no problem. Typing can sometimes convey a harsh message even if not intended that way….Truce…! LOL
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I didn't see anyone berating those who said I spoke in ignorance. Evan pretty much confirmed my opinion on price point.

If I'm a bit crude…sorry….I guess I'm a bit "old School". But, like I said….i'll be happy to be proven wrong if someone can come up with a suggestion for a CF nylon string at $900. Don't think that's going to happen but I'd welcome the info.
It won't happen, which is why Evan recommended that you follow the Godin course at that price point. Just because this is so as a low end example, it has no bearing on the quality or value of CF guitars.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:31 PM

True. To be fair and more tactful the examples I played did not impress me but that is true of other guitars as well.

I'm going to the UK and Ireland this summer but I don't see myself spending that kind of money on any guitar right now.

So, perhaps a few of us, myself included learned a few things today.

But, I still wouldn't mind being proven wrong. LOL
Old 06-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
True. To be fair and more tactful the examples I played did not impress me but that is true of other guitars as well.

I'm going to the UK and Ireland this summer but I don't see myself spending that kind of money on any guitar right now.

So, perhaps a few of us, myself included learned a few things today.

But, I still wouldn't mind being proven wrong. LOL
Since you're to travel to Ireland, if possible, venture to Emerald Guitars in Donegal. You won't find a more creative and flexible CF builder. I own an Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck and love it. Check threads about them (and others) here and visit their Facebook site. I hope to visit their small family factory at some point, and also partake in the whiskey.

At some point you will be proven wrong...just not necessarily in ways you expected.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:13 PM

I fourth that motion.

Seriously, I have trouble relating to whines about guitar pricing, whether talking wood or carbon fiber, Ekoa, whatever.

For me the math happens over a period of time.

Look at it this way. I might spend $150 per year on strings. So, over the next 20 years, I'll have $3,000 sunk into strings.

What's the bid deal (assuming you can afford it) of spending another $3,000 on a nice guitar? It works out pretty much the same as strings over a period of time.

It's not the price you pay, but the years of enjoyment you reap, costing very little per day, and perhaps helping you become a happier, more contented person. What a deal!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber