The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: The "AGF Special" should be a
Cargo 28 23.53%
OX 40 33.61%
GX 19 15.97%
GXi 7 5.88%
X 0 0%
Xi 2 1.68%
Legacy 10 8.40%
Baritone 7 5.88%
12-String 6 5.04%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 PM

I think that the OX Raw was the most balanced sounding of the CAs that I tried. The Raw finish sounded much better to me than any of the gloss painted finished. Brighter & livelier sounding.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 PM

I actually prefer the tone of the high gloss OX but purchased the OX RAW as my "beater". I think the OX deserves more finish options, it's nice to see Ted doing this. Whichever one the forum chooses I'm in!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM

I have a GX Player and i love it.
A limited/collector edition should look special and unique. So here are my suggestions:

--I like the gloss finish with the carbon matt showing through. It looks rich and is a peek at the future of guitars. NO COLORED PAINT!

--A beautiful rosette is a must. Possibly some kind of a delicate/simple double or triple ring stainless steel design. No ugly punched out metal like on the OX's please.

--Any good Minnesotan like me would like the fret markers to be a snowflake design. A diamond shape would also be appropriate because diamonds are made of carbon. Again use stainless.

--The bridge should have the same stainless inlay as the fret markers. One on either side of the bridge pins.

--The bridge pins should be black with stainless dots.

--Bone nut and saddle of course.

--The tuners should be Gotoh mid-size 510's with gloss black gear housing and brushed stainless knobs.

--Electronics? I dont usually plug in so i will defer to someone with more experence that area than I do. But, if the electronics have external controls they should be in the upper bout.

--The inside label should indicate the the guitar is a "AGF Special Limited Edition".

--Last but not least. You should offer a limited number of matched sets. A GX and a Cargo with matching appointments and serial numbers.

There you have it. My dream guitar. I hope you like some of my ideas.
Gretch Resonator

Last edited by captaindonn; 01-04-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM

I have not played the OX but have heard U tube trials. It is cool it is liked so well. If the cheapest CA is really the best, their marketing team has their work cut out for them.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 AM

Some excellent suggestions there Captain. Once we lock in the model we can really go to work on the details and hopefully AGF'ers will have their first limited before the end if winter.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I like the Cargo. Why? It's the most full sounding travel-size guitar I've ever played... something that is difficult to find anywhere else, especially at that kind of price point.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hmmm, AGF member/moderator "mckejoel" started such a CA AGF model initiative in late 2008. If I recall correctly, the hope was for a blueburst Cargo (can't remember if gloss or RT) with an AGF headstock designation of some sort. There was a fair bit if interest, but then to my knowledge, nothing more was heard about it. Can't say for sure, but the Cargo was still fairly new on the market and I think CA was very busy and possibly not able to be flexible at that time. I had already just bought an RT charcoal Cargo at that time, so I wasn't going to participate. I've since bought a gloss tobacco burst GXi. I love both guitars and no longer play my wood guitars.
It's nice to see the idea of a forum guitar resurrected. CA are great guitars, IMO.

I'm not in the market for any guitar at the moment (especially since I just bought my two sons each a new MIM Strat for Christmas), so I won't be participating in this initiative (but I appreciate the gesture), but if I were, my preference would be a GX (gloss carbon burst) or even more likely, an OX Raw. The Cargo is great for many reasons, but IMO, the popularity and relative affordability of the OX Raw makes it the best choice to build upon as an AGF model. FWIW, the carbonguitar.com forum recently did something similar with an OX Raw with a member concensus designed rosette.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

I agree Wade. I collect travel guitars and have owned most, and in my opinion the Cargo has no real competition when you combine size, playability, tone and price point.

BW, I would love to see a Rainsong Parlor/travel guitar. Not like the one they discontinued a few years ago but one made here in the US and one made completely out of carbon fiber.

Ted
Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Jim, did you say your OX is not a cutaway?
Yes, I said that but I was wrong because I was writing from memory. It is a cutaway but not as pronounced as I normally think of cutaways.

Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I don't understand why the OX either.
Here's why I chose the OX.

I travel a lot on weekends during the summer for work and like to take a guitar with me. I travel by car and sometimes have to leave the guitar in the car for 8 to 12 hours on Sundays.

I wanted a guitar with a full size neck that could withstand being left in the car, and that would not take up a whole lot of room. I tried a Cargo but did not like the short scale neck. So, the OX is ideal for me.

Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
It is surprising to me that a forum dedicated to acoustic sound would choose the entry point guitar, but they are affordable and might attract the most orders.
I'm sure Ted would be happy to charge you three times as much for an OX, so it would no longer be an entry level model.

Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Tom, this time around it's a done deal. I confirmed it with CA yesterday, they are just waiting to see what the members choose. I can actually provide the AGF price for an OX with RT finish in any color including blueburst if you like.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

I think the OX and the Cargo say that the group is looking at the carbon guitar as a travel or second knock around guitar and maybe not as a primary instrument.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
*mahoganut*

Ted - I'm not in the market for a CF guitar, but just wanted to say thanks for making this AGF special effort!

rr/Phil
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Hi Ted,

Can CA do a high gloss finish on the front and headstock, with the raw finish on the back/sides? Other than that, I like captaindonn's suggestions, and Fran's idea of a bevel would really be interesting and unique. Maybe we can pioneer that option for them?

Aloha,

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber