The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Macassar Ebony...

Does anyone have any data or experience regarding shrinkage rates of Macassar ebony.

Unfortunately, my "go to" reference for this info (The Wood Database) doesn't have this info.

Having specific data is less important than having some real experience with the wood. For example, I cut some zebra wood and determined it is "unstable" from the warping the sheets exhibited after cutting. The wood database shows zebrawood has a pretty high shrinkage rate. I interpret this as consistent with my experience.

Since Macassar is an expensive wood, I'd hate to buy some and resaw, only to find out that it does not live up to my standards for stability.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-08-2016, 02:39 PM

I've used Macassar ebony for backs and sides of several guitars. I've had zero issues with it. The first guitar I used it on is now close to 30 years old. No splits.

I have several backs still left that are 30 years old. Dead stable.

I also have several sets of quartered zebra wood that I resawed about 30 years ago. They remain flat and without splits. I've never used them 'cause I find zebra wood to be too "out there" for my taste in guitar backs and sides. I bought it on a whim.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Some info...

Volumetric Shrinkage
http://ejournal.forda-mof.org/ejourn...e/view/476/459

Tangential = 8.8%
Radial = 5.4%
T/R = 1.6
http://www.keimlumber.com/uploads/Ma...Ebony-2219.pdf
Old 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Thank you both!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've used Macassar ebony for backs and sides of several guitars. I've had zero issues with it. The first guitar I used it on is now close to 30 years old. No splits.

I have several backs still left that are 30 years old. Dead stable.

I also have several sets of quartered zebra wood that I resawed about 30 years ago. They remain flat and without splits. I've never used them 'cause I find zebra wood to be too "out there" for my taste in guitar backs and sides. I bought it on a whim.
BTW, I love your flush heel to cutaway. If/when I do a cutaway, this is exactly what I was considering. Nice!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Does anyone have any data or experience regarding shrinkage rates of Macassar ebony.

Unfortunately, my "go to" reference for this info (The Wood Database) doesn't have this info.

Having specific data is less important than having some real experience with the wood. For example, I cut some zebra wood and determined it is "unstable" from the warping the sheets exhibited after cutting. The wood database shows zebrawood has a pretty high shrinkage rate. I interpret this as consistent with my experience.

Since Macassar is an expensive wood, I'd hate to buy some and resaw, only to find out that it does not live up to my standards for stability.
You may want to pm Tony Yamamoto. He's built with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair