The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 AM

Default Questions Regarding Guitar Straps

1. Is it better to use an end pin for a guitar strap or tie it on the headstock behind the nut?

2. Will a guitar strap damage a guitar's finish if it stays on the guitar for a long period of time?

3. Is it okay to leave the guitar strap on the guitar when storing it inside a case?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 AM

1. Is it better to use an end pin for a guitar strap or tie it on the headstock behind the nut?

Personal preference. Most people seem to think then when tied at the head stock it interferes with playing in first positions. I tend to agree and prefer a pin in the heal.

2. Will a guitar strap damage a guitar's finish if it stays on the guitar for a long period of time?

Probably not but in the right temperature and humidity conditions then maybe. What causes damage more is the friction from the strap rubbing on the finish.

3. Is it okay to leave the guitar strap on the guitar when storing it inside a case?

It's common practice. Again the rubbing action can cause some abrasion of the finish. I like to roll mine up and place it in the storage box in the case or up by the head stock. A cut out makes a perfect storage location for a strap. Some cheap straps have those metal clips on them, if that is the case then definitely don't leave it on the guitar when in the case.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post

Personal preference - but my preference is a Schaller Straplock into the END of the heel. Recommended by very few but gives great balance - I'm talking about acoustics only.

It IS a possibility and so therefore should be avoided.

Nylon or plastic fabric straps are notorious for interacting with nitro finishes and ruining them. I always use leather straps that I make for myself and sometimes for others. They are about 4 m/m thick and 3" wide, but I fold them and store them at the top of the case above the headstock.

Even leather has some chemicals in it and I wouldn't risk leaving them touching my instruments.

No. See 2.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I attach the strap to the heel rather than the head as I prefer the balance and position that the guitar takes.

Quote:
If your guitar has a nitrocellulose finish and your strap is made of synthetic material they can fuse together in a most unpleasant way if left for long time. I knew this and still let it happen to a guitar of mine.

Quote:
Same answer as to 2. The longer the guitar is left untouched, the more likely and the deeper the destructive reaction. If you know you are storing the guitar for more than a day or two then take the strap off. Poly finishes don't react like nitrocellulose but removing the strap will do no harm.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:

#2 and #3

Some straps (many Levy's straps, but not all of theirs if memory serves correctly) are 100% leather or fabric without any buckles to adjust strap length.

Buckles on straps are like rivets, buttons, and belt buckles while playing. They are hard, and can (and likely will) dent/scratch the guitar at some point during use unless great care is taken at all times.

Buckles on straps in a case increase the chance for damage.

Buckles on straps, and even leather-only wrap-to-adjust-length straps can lead to damage on a guitar if it is left on the top or under the back of the guitar in its case, if the guitar case is squeezed in a luggage compartment, for example.

It is IMO best to avoid casing your guitar with its strap "on", unless there is extra room along the sides of the instrument to store the strap. But, as another person mentioned, certain finishes can react to certain dyes.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-28-2015, 08:39 PM

I can't find a single guitar store where I can purchase a pin. So as of now I'm tie it on my head stock.

If I had a pin, I'd take the strap off but since I tied it on the head stock. I'd have to untie it and tie it again whenever I use it so I just leave it with the guitar ( kind of fits in the guitar case )

I put the strap on the strings not touching the guitar body when I store it in my case, is this okay or will it still damage the finish of my guitar?

Thanks for the feed back
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM

I'm surprised you cannot find a store that has a pin, assuming you can find a music store, it's a very small item to have in stock.

What you can do is just unpin your strap from the end block leave it tied to the head and fold it up and store it under the headstock (or over it) in the case where ever it fits and don't worry bout it.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:22 AM

I was also surprised to the fact that I've been to a lot of music stores and couldn't find an end pin for my guitar. I thought it was an easy to find item.

I'll try to unpin the strap from the end block, but wouldn't it loosen my strap?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

Default End pin

I have several in a box. Pm me, pick black or chrome, and I'll send you one. Make sure you do a search on how and where to install it.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:21 AM

@Bradhall

I'm afraid I can't since I live in the Philippines, thank you for the offer though.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't find a single guitar store where I can purchase a pin. So as of now I'm tie it on my head stock.

If I had a pin, I'd take the strap off but since I tied it on the head stock. I'd have to untie it and tie it again whenever I use it so I just leave it with the guitar ( kind of fits in the guitar case )

I put the strap on the strings not touching the guitar body when I store it in my case, is this okay or will it still damage the finish of my guitar?

Thanks for the feed back
Buy a set of these mail order :

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp135050/Security-Locks.htm
Old 12-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I'll try to unpin the strap from the end block, but wouldn't it loosen my strap?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that question. Most straps simply have holes in them that you fit to the pin. After removal and insertion on the pin the holes do tend to get wider, especially in leather straps as they break in, but it should not be anything to worry about for a very long time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair