The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I have a friend that had a CF guitar, one of the earlier ones and the top separated from the body within the first two years of him owning it. That's when I thought its all hype, they're not more durable at all.
Composite guitars have come a long way. Such problems should be non-existent these days...in fact, some brands are one one-piece construction.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Possible but you would never catch me playing one. I Just don't like the look and or feel.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Possible but you would never catch me playing one. I Just don't like the look and or feel.
Haha, if I had a nickel.....
Old 11-30-2017, 01:03 PM

Everything in the universe is a tradeoff in one way or another.

My Taylor 810 sounds a solid notch better to me than my Rainsong CO series dread.

I knowingly traded off some "tone", to realize improvements in stability and durability.

I would not have bought the CF if it sounded "bad". It sounds quite nice and it plays great. Plus, it's nice to have some sonic variety in your inventory of guitars!
Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

So how do you adjust the nut on a CF guitar?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
i would think that it’s done the same as a nut on a non-CF guitar because they can be the same (usually non-CF). That said, what do you mean by “adjust”? If you’re referring to string slot issues because you’re noticing a change in string tone you might suspect is the result of a bad slot, then there are options to try and correct without removing the nut. An example is applying powder graphite (or pencil lead) into the slot(s) and moving the string around in it. This may or may not work.

If you’re referring to a need to remove the nit, the ease of doing so depends on whether or not the nut is glued into its slot. That could necessitate a guitar tech to do it properly.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:35 PM

nevermind...

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 12-01-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:46 PM

It's the same reason people complain about Millenials. They don't like like to accept the fact that things are way better than they were 50 years ago.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
chiropractor?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:52 PM

This is an interesting conversation.

What I have found is this: since getting my first CF acoustic a few years ago, I find myself playing more often than ever. It’s just so easy.

This may be due, in part, to the convenience factor: it’s hanging on the wall, ready to be played without retuning. As a grab-and-go instrument for the porch, no wood guitar that I know of can manage such temp/humidity swings without flinching.

Icing on the cake is how dramatically string selection affects the sound of a CF acoustic. Plenty of room there to experiment ... and settle on the best tone for your ears.

Six decades on this journey, and I doubt a new woody would open up much before I go into my (carbon fiber) casket. That will never open up, and I’m oddly fine with that.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Talking

Quote:
Give him/her a beer....
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
More CF guitars left for us fans then. No disrespect intended, but the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water........" comes to mind.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
More CF guitars left for us fans then. No disrespect intended, but the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water........" comes to mind.
And they move faster toward the barn
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-30-2017, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=Ted @ LA Guitar Sales;5553333]Actually I'm having trouble believing that a 100% carbon fiber guitar ever had a top separation issue. Something tells me we are not getting all the info. That's the problem with Internet forums, someone shares second hand info and next thing you know it's fact. Looburst, what brand, year, and model was your friends guitar? I ask because most folks think Ovation is CF.

All I can tell you Ted is that it was an early Rainsong
Old 11-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

[QUOTE=Looburst;5553545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Actually I'm having trouble believing that a 100% carbon fiber guitar ever had a top separation issue. Something tells me we are not getting all the info. That's the problem with Internet forums, someone shares second hand info and next thing you know it's fact. Looburst, what brand, year, and model was your friends guitar? I ask because most folks think Ovation is CF.

All I can tell you Ted is that it was an early Rainsong
I mean no disrespect, but why would you dismiss all composite guitars based on the experience of one guitar long ago, likely early in the evolution of such instruments? Do you share that view with wood guitars? Likely not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber