The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2022, 11:43 AM

Default Technical request for K&K solo mic

Hi guys. Can anybody kindly advise please. I've just purchased an Eastman E20 which the seller installed a KK trinity solo mic and a JJB 330 prestige. He used it with a Trinity Pro preamp using a TRS stereo cable. The Mic requires a bias voltage of 5V. I've a headway EDb2 dual channel preamp which can provide 9v to the tip of a TRS cable. I'm lead to believe the KK mic will simply not accept any higher voltage then the 5v suggested by K K themselves. However there are various posts including one from Doug Flowers that suggest that's simply a marketing ploy so people only buy KK preamps. Any thoughts or ideally anyone using a KK solo mic into a headway HDB2.

Many thanks
Old 12-18-2022, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxzzxzxx View Post
Hi guys. Can anybody kindly advise please. I've just purchased an Eastman E20 which the seller installed a KK trinity solo mic and a JJB 330 prestige. He used it with a Trinity Pro preamp using a TRS stereo cable. The Mic requires a bias voltage of 5V. I've a headway EDb2 dual channel preamp which can provide 9v to the tip of a TRS cable. I'm lead to believe the KK mic will simply not accept any higher voltage then the 5v suggested by K K themselves. However there are various posts including one from Doug Flowers that suggest that's simply a marketing ploy so people only buy KK preamps. Any thoughts or ideally anyone using a KK solo mic into a headway HDB2.

Many thanks
Hi xz-etc
I have 4 K&K dual source equipped mics. I was digging around their site last week for latest info…

K&K says…
The newest K&K mics will accept 9v (maximum limit), but K&K preamps all provide 5v as far as I know.

In the specs of the Quantum 2-channel preamp on K&K's website there is this (near the bottom of the specs)
"Mic Power: 9 volt DC max"

According to several people in the forum, several years ago K&K placed a limit of +9V max on the mics, and the mics shut down with more than +9V (one person called it a protective circuit).This was discovered by folks using Quantum Preamps or other preamps which supply +12V, +15V, or +18V to the mics. The new mics just shut down.

When they contacted K&K they discovered K&K considers the new limit 'protective'. And of course they tried to sell the people who contacted them their preamps.

They have statements on their site that they don't recommend any other company's preamps.

But I'm guessing any 9V or less preamp which supplies power for internal mics will work. Headway, Raven, K&K preamps work just fine (since they provide +9V). I'd like to find someone locally who has a newer Trinity to try it with my Raven.

Were I to put in a dual source rig now from scratch, I'd likely use an AKG internal mic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-19-2022, 03:38 AM

[QUOTE=ljguitar;7149285][size=2]Hi xz-etc
I have 4 K&K dual source equipped mics. I was digging around their site last week for latest info…

K&K says…
The newest K&K mics will accept 9v (maximum limit), but K&K preamps all provide 5v as far as I know.

In the specs of the Quantum 2-channel preamp on K&K's website there is this (near the bottom of the specs)
"Mic Power: 9 volt DC max"

According to several people in the forum, several years ago K&K placed a limit of +9V max on the mics, and the mics shut down with more than +9V (one person called it a protective circuit).This was discovered by folks using Quantum Preamps or other preamps which supply +12V, +15V, or +18V to the mics. The new mics just shut down.

When they contacted K&K they discovered K&K considers the new limit 'protective'. And of course they tried to sell the people who contacted them their preamps.

They have statements on their site that they don't recommend any other company's preamps.

But I'm guessing any 9V or less preamp which supplies power for internal mics will work. Headway, Raven, K&K preamps work just fine (since they provide +9V). I'd like to find someone locally who has a newer Trinity to try it with my Raven.

Were I to put in a dual source rig now from scratch, I'd likely use an AKG internal mic.

Many thanks for your reply.

By all accounts the use of my Headway duel channel amp should in theory bw fine then. As the gooseneck mic cuts off with a voltage above 9v {bias} volts lets keep our fingers crossed.

Ill uodate once i get chance too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification