The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Córdoba 45 CO

Has anyone seen or played or purchased this Córdoba guitar? It looks to be a new version of the 45 series guitars in the Espana line of Córdoba guitars, perhaps a replacement for the 45MR ??
Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 AM

I've seen them but I haven't had a chance to play one. The Cocobolo looked amazing!!

My understanding is that the 45CO is simply a Limited Edition version of the standard 45 Flamenco series but using Cocobolo on the Back & Sides.

I've owned 2 Cordoba guitars from the Espana series. (Koa Limited and a Solista Cedar) My humble experience with the Espana series is that they still haven't worked out some of the quality issues such as fret end dressing. Both guitars needed a visit to my luthier to correct the minor issues.

I still own the Solista and love it... I sold the Koa Limited simply because the Koa sound wasn't to my liking

The Pro series from China have been excellent when compared to the Espana series.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-29-2017, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I've seen them but I haven't had a chance to play one. The Cocobolo looked amazing!!

My understanding is that the 45CO is simply a Limited Edition version of the standard 45 Flamenco series but using Cocobolo on the Back & Sides.

I've owned 2 Cordoba guitars from the Espana series. (Koa Limited and a Solista Cedar) My humble experience with the Espana series is that they still haven't worked out some of the quality issues such as fret end dressing. Both guitars needed a visit to my luthier to correct the minor issues.

I still own the Solista and love it... I sold the Koa Limited simply because the Koa sound wasn't to my liking

The Pro series from China have been excellent when compared to the Espana series.

Ditto to everything Dave said. Having owned three Espana series guitars, and six Luthier series -- the setup, fit & finish, and whole package seems to be better on the Chinese guitars than the Spanish ones. Which is hard for some people to wrap their heads around... because in classical or flamenco guitars, Spanish is supposed to trump Chinese. Right? And the Espanas are more expensive than the Luthiers. Evidently whomever runs the Chinese factory needs to go over and whip the Spanish factory into shape. Maybe it's the siestas or something?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I thought the 45MR was decent sounding myself, and well made laminates can still be great sounding guitars. As others have said, the fit and finish is better on the chinese cordobas.

But honestly... there are some paracho mexico made guitars that are far better and you can find them used for less (check reverb).

They are head and heels above the cordobas (other than the master series ones).
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
2015 Gretsch 6128 Power Jet
2003 Amalio Burguet F1 concert flamenco
2010 Langejans R-cb classical
2019 Gibson 1958 true historic
2012 PRS Stripped '58 with 5708 pickups
1992 PRS CE24 (all original)
Many including Gretsch, Tokai, Yamaha, and Fender.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:44 AM

Thanks a bunch! I wondered about that. My local store has a 45R that is nice but has some cosmetic flaws that I would or not expect to see in a nearly 1000 dollar guitar. They carry a lot of the crossover types but only a few straight up acoustic models from Córdoba. The lower end China built C5 and C7 are quite nice and oddly, the C5 in my local shop has much better fret end dressing than the C7 they have, despite the C7 being a good deal pricier. Tone wise, the improvements seemed less than the price would suggest between the C5 and the 45R models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical