The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 AM

Default TAMCO UK: August newsletter.

You can now follow TAMCO on Twitter @TAMCO_UK I’m a little unsure of what to do with it... your suggestions are welcome...

My first from Michael Bashkin has arrived and it was well worth the wait. Michael’s reputation for fantastic aesthetics and great tone is well justified. This Placencia OM in sitka and cocobolo is a truly wonderful guitar.

Two have arrived from Laurent Brondel. My first two from him sold within days of arrival, so I don’t expect these to be here very long. The four I have had so far have been very different in sizes and tonewoods – from 13 3/8” to 15 5/8” lower bouts; sitka, Adirondack and German spruce tops; sapele, mahogany, rosewood and Malaysian blackwood back and sides – but there is defiantly a signature Brondel tone. All four have had great separation and clarity with rich note definition. There’s another due from Laurent next week, an A2 in Adirondack and Cuban mahogany.

Another first is the MJ from Trevor Kronbauer. Since the recession hit (and since Mr Osborne seems intent on making it permanent) I have been working hard to get great guitars under two grand. David Webber’s guitars have been a great success and this beauty from Trevor is in the same league, UNBELIEVABLE value. The tone and build are so good I have five more on order, an OM with cutaway in Engelmann and rosewood is due next week, then another OM, two dreads and a parlour. For those with less than two grand to spend it’s a great time to visit. Please bring in your ‘famous names’ for comparison, I am very confident of the result..

There has been great excitement on the interweb about Gustav Fredell. He is currently coming towards the end of his apprenticeship with the one and only Ervin Somogyi. I have been working with him on a few design ideas, his model line up and body shapes are still to be finalised but from what I have seen they re stunning. The Fretboard Journal reporter at the Montreal Guitar Show has his XS as his favourite at the show. The very same guitar will be here for a few weeks in October. Please let me know if you are interested in trying it out and I will keep you informed of the dates. The more the better, Gustav is very open to and keen to get input.

Yet another first next week from Ken Franklin, its his Pommele, you can see it on his website. The Emeline will also be coming this way as soon as a custom case is ready. Ken’s rosettes are some of the most beautiful I have seen, I can’t wait to hear how his guitars sound.

I’m also going to be working with the legendary Al Carruth. We are still discussing whether I will take one or two that he is currently finishing or place an order.

The wenge Concert from Kent Chasson will be here soon, it was finished a few weeks ago but Kent says its the best guitar he's made so he wanted to hang on to it to show to Tony McManus and Randal Bays next week at a local workshop. I'm working out my next orders from him, he has some wonderful cocobolo, ziricote and walnut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop