The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Default New Stearn OM

Stearn Guitars, a forum sponsor, have been working on some subtle design changes. I've had the pleasure to demo the new OM these past few days and it is remarkable. This particular build is a paduak/sitka combinaton. I have played it side-by-side with my Breedlove American Series sapele/sitka OM and have the following observations/comparisons:

Physical attributes – The Stearn OM has a new radius to the back and top of the guitar. I was surprised to see that even with the accentuated radius of the back, the Stearn OM is still about a quarter inch deeper at the tail end. The Stearn OM is also about a half inch wider in the lower bout. But interestingly, it doesn’t feel bigger in either dimension. It is more comfortable to play, especially flat-picking toward the bridge where the reach is more from the tail end. It seems that the new radius provides a benefit similar to what other have seen with the wedge design or a bevel on the lower bout. The neck is deeper and more flattened like a "D" vs. the shallow "C" of the breedlove. It made the formation of bar chords easier, filling the palm.

Tonal properties – in strumming I really notice a strong bass presence. It also is very evident when playing the individual strings (and the Stearn OM had D'Addario PB lights vs. the mediums on my OM). It seems that you get a very strong bass and great treble with balanced mid-range (very similar to the Martin dreadnoughts I have tried). When tuned down one full step, I could really feel the bass reverb through the body. This is the loudest and most bass I have ever heard from an OM, regardless of wood combinations. I played it alongside a friend with a Martin HD-28 and it held its own in volume and projection. Tonally the two were very similar.

The nut is 1-3/4, with a string spacing as the saddle of 2-3/16, making it very versatile for finger-picking and strumming. Overall, these small changes have resulted in an OM that can take on the dreadnoughts in bass and volume.

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them here.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I really enjoyed playing the roadshow parlor and bet this OM is a beauty.

thanks,

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I really enjoyed playing the roadshow parlor and bet this OM is a beauty.

thanks,

jeff
Jeff,

I haven't really played it yet, but the parlors are receiving the same changes and he had a 12 string version (yes, a 12 string parlor!) that just sang. A real amped up version of what you played on the roadshow.

Stephen
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM

nice looking guitar, I imagine it has a big voice by it's looks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop