The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I like the music, and am reaffirmed in the wisdom of my life as primarily a luthier and only secondarily a musician. . . despite earlier efforts to do the opposite.
I know what you mean... I officially adopted the phrase "OH, I can't play a note, I just build them..." the day Roy Clark asked me to play him something on a guitar I made for him... I've used it many times since with folks like Thom Bresh, Brad Paisley and Merle Haggard (and Larry and Cary Park), I'm pretty sure to them it adds to the mistique I do know that if I did play it wouldn't help that much with the sale...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
I know what you mean... I officially adopted the phrase "OH, I can't play a note, I just build them..." the day Roy Clark asked me to play him something on a guitar I made for him... I've used it many times since with folks like Thom Bresh, Brad Paisley and Merle Haggard (and Larry and Cary Park), I'm pretty sure to them it adds to the mistique I do know that if I did play it wouldn't help that much with the sale...
Do you guys ever get endorsements from well known musicians? Will they let you put photos or quotes on your website for example? Does this type of thing help very much with sales if you do?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

My take on name brand musicians is that they are just people who buy my guitars, no more important than the less well known buyers. Many times I have not even been aware that my customers are well know, they don't always mention it, and I am not that concerned about it. Because some people have pointed out that this is naive on my part, I have on a couple of occasions attempted to get some milage with a name brand player/ customer. Perhaps it is because I have never tried a big bucks advertising campaign, but it really doesn't seem to spur the kind of sales one might hope for.

I think I have sold exactly one guitar as a result of Joe Satriani choosing to buy one of mine at Schoenberg Guitars. Actually, make that two, as he subsequently bought another one directly from me, which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't bought the other. A little silly, but that is what really does sell my guitars; the guitars themselves.

I like to think my customers are sophisticated enough that they are buying my work because it is peerless from their perspective. They have for the most part done their homework and chosen wisely, not because some famous musician got a deal on a guitar.

I did give away a guitar once myself, and will be unlikely to make that mistake again. People do not tend to value that which comes easily no matter how wonderful it may be. Eventually, that guitar was stolen and wasn't even reported to police for several months! All of the other people, famous or not, who have acquired my work paid for it in full because they saw the value. The only true endorsement is the quality of the guitar.

I am a quarter Polish; an idealist to the end! On the other hand, if anyone really wants to know who has my work, there is a nearly complete list of my lifetime work on my website which includes the name of each pieces current owner, if known. It's a pretty long list.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM

I've read that Paul Reed Smith used endorsements very effectively to build his brand, but I agree that great guitars should sell themselves. Although effective marketing is important in any business, I suppose the best marketing is a great product. Maybe more of a question of is it needed, and how it's done if you do need it. I'm sure some musicians would be very greatful and carr for the instrument, others not so much. Probably better to stay away from rock stars haha.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here's an interesting little twist: Since I posted the story about the stolen "deal" guitar, just an hour ago (though the theft was several months ago, and the guitar was supplied many years ago), I received a phone call letting me know that there was an insurance settlement and I will be paid in full for the guitar. This is an amazing example of synchronicity! Extreme coincidence? The squeaky wheel getting the grease? God's hand?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Let me just say this.. Somebody got back from their lunch break to find an orange and a severed horse head on their desk..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop