The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-04-2022, 09:41 PM

I found very few CF guitars locally when I was interested in buying. Based on research/reviews, the model I wanted (Composite Acoustics GX) was available through Sweetwater at the time. I took advantage of their no-questions return policy (with full disclosure to my sales rep), and ordered one. If I decided it wasn't for me, I'd return it. I'd be out the shipping cost, but worth it IMO. In the end I did return it... so I could special order one with a few additional features.

If you can find something you're interested in carried by a business with a similar return policy, it might be worth asking.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:26 AM

I recall Rainsong does a number of different "looks". I suppose the one in the photo here is one of the more "natural" ones, while not hiding the fibers. Unidirectional, or something?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-05-2022, 06:06 AM

While LA Guitars doesn’t give you 30 days to try it at home, you do get a shorter home trial with only shipping costs if you return it. Ted is just too passionate about guitars, and CF guitars in particular to not get his advice if you have questions.
The Rainsong tops affect the sound in different ways so it is important to know both your look tolerance and sound preference when buying.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
So where does one go to buy a CF guitar ? I may be looking to purchase an OM body style guitar. are they all special orders ? Is there a dealer that you guys prefer? Thanks.Any advice would help, not familiar with them or ever played one.
Quote:
does anyone make one these guitars that looks like ;well'; an acoustic guitar . they all seem to look very exotic.
Based on these two posts, sounds like the RainSong line is for you. As others have already alluded, they make several guitars from small to large in more regular, center sound hole shapes. They also make a relatively new line of guitars called the Vintage series which include a thin piece of real wood fused with the CF top which serves a dual purpose of providing a more natural wood guitar look but also affects the tone significantly by 'warming up' the tone at the cost of a bit of volume. They do have a few off-center sound hole models as well.

You can get any of the major sizes you want - parlor, OM, WS, Dread and Jumbo - in several finish options. The Vintage series has two finishes - slightly tinted plain or burst, called Nashville. Then there is the plain black finish and the sassy/bold Black Ice finish. They are also starting to have some models come in a colored tint. You can get them in short (12 fret) and long (14 fret) scales on any model (no upcharge) with or without pickup systems. They currently use the excellent LR Baggs Element or Anthem StagePro.

They will do a little bit of customizations but not nearly as much as Emerald. Some customizations are free and some will cost you an upcharge. I owned nothing but beautiful, custom Woody Emeralds for several years and they were great guitars. For me they ultimately were sold off for guitars that amplified better (Cole Clarks) but I found I missed the bulletproof carbon fiber platform so I bought a few RainSongs and found that the Element and Anthem StagePro systems gave me what I missed for live, amplified sound in the Emeralds.

I did a NGD post last year with a back-to-back demo of two RainSong OM Shorty models, one CH and one Nashville which shows the differences both visually and tonally between the two guitars as well as the Element and Anthem pickup systems. You can view that post by clicking the RainSong Nashville OM link in my signature line below. I've now owned three RainSong guitars and I have a fourth on the way. They are great options for those that want all the benefits of a carbon fiber guitar but prefer the more traditional look of a wood guitar.

As others have said, Ted at LA Guitars is 'The Man' when it comes to asking questions about the RainSong guitar lineup and of course he stocks nearly everything in their line. Give him a call and he can hook you up! Good luck and keep us posted with what you end up with. Personally, I don't think you can wrong with any of the major CF guitar makers (RainSong, Emerald, McPherson, Journey) out there right now. There is something for every taste.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-05-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

No one has mentioned "tone", I've never owned the Rainsong with the wood top but have had 3 of the others. I find the RS guitars to have a very clear, bell like tone, at times they are too bright for me compared to other CF guitars. I play with a pick, for fingerstyle I think they work well. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you should be aware. There are a lot of RS fans for a reason, all of the CF guitars sound different, so try and find some to play if possible or have a good return policy.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
No one has mentioned "tone", I've never owned the Rainsong with the wood top but have had 3 of the others. I find the RS guitars to have a very clear, bell like tone, at times they are too bright for me compared to other CF guitars. I play with a pick, for fingerstyle I think they work well. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you should be aware. There are a lot of RS fans for a reason, all of the CF guitars sound different, so try and find some to play if possible or have a good return policy.
Very true. I spent a lot of time trying to tame the treble in a RS. Ended up sticking with Retros which sounded good fingerpicked (I play with flesh and a little nail) but hardly ever with a pick.

So style of play should be considered too, and I can see why you really like the Sable. They sound great strummed with a pick!
Old 02-05-2022, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Steelvibe, no intentions of bad mouthing the RS guitars...I played a WS for several years, and enjoyed it. Truly an industry leader. But if I was buying, I would want to know about that little bit of brightness. The Sable is fantastic....for me anyway. I think it's finally getting broken in.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:00 PM

I see one that I like on Reverb . Rainsong OM model that looks like a sunburst acoustic.,2015year it was built.They want $2400. Think that is pretty good deal.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see one that I like on Reverb . Rainsong OM model that looks like a sunburst acoustic.,2015year it was built. They want $2400. Think that is pretty good deal.
Looks like the Al Petteway model !! Great guitar, especially if you plug in.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see one that I like on Reverb . Rainsong OM model that looks like a sunburst acoustic.,2015year it was built.They want $2400. Think that is pretty good deal.
No, it's not; that price seems pretty high. Ted https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....song-apse.html can probably get close to that figure for a new one...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-05-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
If you like the RainSong APLE (Al Petteway Limited Edition) on Reverb for $2400 you might want to check this one out. Basically the exact same guitar, the only difference is that the one in the link below is the APSE, a satin finish instead of gloss. Free shipping too! This is $700 less than the one on Reverb.

Someone might want to snag this up

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ra...nsong&index=18
Old 02-05-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I recall Rainsong does a number of different "looks". I suppose the one in the photo here is one of the more "natural" ones, while not hiding the fibers. Unidirectional, or something?
If it's my picture, then yes, my Shorty has a unidirectional top.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-06-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
If you like the RainSong APLE (Al Petteway Limited Edition) on Reverb for $2400 you might want to check this one out. Basically the exact same guitar, the only difference is that the one in the link below is the APSE, a satin finish instead of gloss. Free shipping too! This is $700 less than the one on Reverb.

Someone might want to snag this up

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ra...nsong&index=18
OH WOW! thanks alot !! i''l get in touch with them. the one at LA guitar sales is a lot more money.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:24 PM

Seems like every website is sold out of the Al Petteway model .I wonder if it is still in production. That is more of the look I am looking for [of I haven't played one yet. And I need it to be amplified too.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems like every website is sold out of the Al Petteway model .I wonder if it is still in production. That is more of the look I am looking for [of I haven't played one yet. And I need it to be amplified too.
Contact Ted at LA Guitar Sales and have him order a Rainsong CO-OM1000NT....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber