The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-10-2021, 01:36 PM

Default Anytune Pro App

Does anyone here on the AGF use the Anytune app? The pro version is a paid app that does what the famous “Amazing Slow Downer” software does but the Anytune app seems far superior. It has great reviews on the Apple store but I was thinking maybe some here are using it or something similar.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:53 PM

Used it throughout my courses at Berklee. It’s a solid little app … I wish it were also available on Windows.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 11-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Does Anytune let you play a video at various speeds, or is it audio only? I use Transcribe! for Mac? It sounds similar to Anytune, but you can just drop a video file on it and it will let you pick sections to loop, adjust speed and all that.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

In my own experience, where Amazing Slowdowner really shines is on my Android phone and tablet. Its interface lends itself very well to simple fingertip operation. In fact, I like it there much better than fiddling around with a mouse on a PC. I now do all that sort of thing on my tablet.

For video, there is a program similar to VLC, but I like the interface better on the tablet and phone. The app is called XPlayer. Again, like VLC fingertip operation but I like the access to setting loop points and speed better on XPlayer.

I find that I prefer just backing up with my fingertip in a video instead of fiddling around trying to set loop points since I want to freely move around the video as needed instead of fixed loop points. As a result, I find that my video learning is now done on my tablet too.

In both cases, using my finger to point and move where I want to go just seems far more natural than a mouse, and on a phone or tablet, apps are written with that expectation of fingertip use.

Since I don't have Apple products, I can't comment on those apps only available for Apple platforms to compare.

Tony
Old 11-10-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Does anyone here on the AGF use the Anytune app? The pro version is a paid app that does what the famous “Amazing Slow Downer” software does but the Anytune app seems far superior
I use Anytune on an iMac desktop computer. It's wonderful. It allows you to slow down/speed up the playback and/or adjust pitch. The playback can be adjusted in 5% increments with a click or 1% increments with a wheel. Pitch is also adjustable in 5% or 1% increments. I use it to play along with recorded music, moving the playback into a preferred key or adjusting for pitch irregularities. I also use it to study classical music and notate scores. I think it's a great program. It has many more features than I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Does Anytune let you play a video at various speeds, or is it audio only? I use Transcribe! for Mac? It sounds similar to Anytune, but you can just drop a video file on it and it will let you pick sections to loop, adjust speed and all that.
Anytune is audio only. I have read that at one time it would manipulate YouTube videos, but no longer does. I will take a look at Transcribe!, but I'm very happy with Anytune.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Anytune is great, but I’ve had to deal with the annoyance of it not working with songs out of my Apple Music library. You have to purchase the songs separately or rip from a cd.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Anytune is audio only. I have read that at one time it would manipulate YouTube videos, but no longer does. I will take a look at Transcribe!, but I'm very happy with Anytune.
The downside with Transcribe is there is no app version; it's desktop or laptop only. And the videos need to be in MP4 or MOV format, so youtubes need to be converted. (And it's only free for the first month.)
I've been using Transcribe for years, it does everything I need, so I wouldn't change, but Anytune does look good and I'm tempted to try it (being able to mark up the waveform is essential for me).

You can see the various transcribe windows here, to give you an idea of what it does: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html When you use video, you get an additional video window, with a slider that puts the audio in sync with the video (often necessary with youtubes!).
Old 11-11-2021, 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write