The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
polly, I have not taken online finger style lessons, but I have some ideas for you.

Check out Mark Hanson. He literally wrote the book(s). If SprintBob is following he will likely chime in, if not send him a private message--he has studied online with Hanson for quite a while, with good results.

Also Muriel Anderson. She does a lot on Truefire, but also offers online private lessons.

If you are into the blues Toby Walker does Skype lessons. You can private message him, he participates here regularly.

Hope that helps.
Sure thing I will chime in here. I do have the good fortune of still taking online lessons from Mark Hanson. I take a lesson every 2-3 weeks. He is an excellent teacher and what’s been really cool over the last year is that we have an online recital once a quarter over Zoom so I get to meet Mark’s other students. The online recital is not live performances. We are invited to submit up to two video performances and Mark sets it up with a program and plays the videos to the live audience so there is no pressure of actually playing live. It’s good fun.

When we do a lesson, I set it up to play through my 40” monitor in my music room so Mark is bigger than life and we both set up where we can see each other play. The only thing we cannot do is play together because there is a touch of latency in the connection.

The biggest advantage I see to online lessons is that you can get access to some really awesome guitarists like Mark and as mentioned and seen here folks like Eric Skye, Howard Emerson, Muriel Anderson, JonPR, and the list goes on. Mark charges a bit more than most but he typically gives me over an hour and he’s still cheaper than my plumber or car mechanic per hour.

Hope this helps/encourages.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 11-03-2021 at 02:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write