The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Can anybody comment on usage with the app at actual gigs more then once/twice? Seriously just by reading the reviews on the apple app I am hesitant. It got 3.4/5 stars of 24 reviews, only 3x 5-star reviews and the rest are critical/negative. “No secuirty anyone can hijack”, “Drops being paired”, “..forgets your setting when you go out of range” to name a few of the many negative reviews. It seems like they didn’t address any issues and are still using this buggy software. I don’t know call me old school but with no physical knobs on the unit itself it sounds too risky for heavy gigging if the tech isn’t up to par. Maybe I’m wrong? I hope so.
I'll be very interested in this too, though as it applies to the Android version of the app--I've only played with the demo on my Android phone, and in fact part of the appeal for me is that such an app exists (for both phone and tablet), since so many of these units only make it for Apple devices, sometimes just an iPad. The Android reviews have an average 4.1 out of 5 rating, though there's only a handful. The harshly negative reviews don't mention dropouts but features.

Btw you can control the mixer on the unit itself, one of those multiple menu-drill-down deals on the back of it with one knob. Likely fewer parameters, I forget, and more of a pain.

(If the Lucas Nano 608i had an Android app I'd probably already own one. I not only don't want to have to buy another device, I also don't like to be forced to use a large device in cramped space.)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:10 PM

I tried the Lucas Nano 608i at home and was very unimpressed with the sound. Muddy bass, too mid scooped for my taste and above all very noisy !! The size, portability and mixer features were great thought.

So far the best column system that I tried has been the Evox Jmix8. Perfect sound, great detail, lots of inputs and full featured mixer. But it is on the big and heavy side, too much for me.

I hope the ev30m will check all the boxes for me.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Had a 20% off coupon at GC so I went to check these out. Very impressive as I ran it through some things at the store so I picked one up. Won't get much chance to play with it until next weekend. Looking forward to it.
I'll report back after I know more.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

I had an Evolve 50 and sold it. It sounded great, that was not an issue. It was overkill for most of my solo and duo shows. I did not enjoy schlepping the 12" sub around when it simply wasn't being utilize to the extent it is capable of. That is not a knock on the Evolve 50. Just a matter if choosing the right tool for job. Also the the EV iPhone app is basic and lame IMO. I compared it to the Turbosound App and the Turbosound gives you the ability to control the levels of each channel from the App. Not so on the EV. It was a global volume. Although once I get my settings dialed in I tend to leave them alone. But it would be really nice to do that from the App on the phone. The EV app does not allow for independent channel level changes. Kinda sad.

The evolve 30m is more appealing to me because its sized more for the kind of shows I play. So I think it has its place and joins those who outperform their size for a lot of performers.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 01-27-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

EV updated the app with the release of the 30M. It now includes individual channel volume, effect control and EQ. Not sure what else was updated as I downloaded after I picked up the 30M, but I would say that a lot of the reviews of the app were prior to the update. There is a demo mode on the app so you can download it and check that out to see if it meets your needs.

Last edited by cvmatt247; 01-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvmatt247 View Post
EV updated the app with the release of the 30M. It now includes I individual channel volume, effect control and EQ. Not sure what else was updated as I downloaded after I picked up the 30M, but I would say that a lot of the reviews of the app were prior to the update. There is a demo mode on the app so you can download it and check that out to see if it meets your needs.
Thanks! Good to know!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-27-2020, 11:08 AM

After reading about the new 30M I have decided I'm still good with the Eon One I have used for the last three years.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
After reading about the new 30M I have decided I'm still good with the Eon One I have used for the last three years.
They definitely check off a lot of the same boxes...would be tough to make sense of trading one you're already happy with for the other.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:26 PM

Glad they updated the app. Serious contender for being better then the Fishman SA330X + SA Sub combo I’ve been considering. Broke it down to numbers:

Fishman SA330X: 19.8lbs (column) + 6.7lbs (stand) + 6.5lbs (dlx bag)= 33lbs on roller wheels + 30lbs (sub w/ sub accessories & slip) free carry/no wheels = 63lbs total. $30 (Sub slip cover) + $150 (Deluxe carry bag on wheels) + $400 (SA sub) + $800 (SA330X) = $1380 not to mention if you want more then 2 channels add the $180 SA expander = potential $1560.

EV Evolve 30M: 34.9lbs (sub) + 5-10lbs?(deluxe bag) for sub on wheels + 11lbs (column, poles, bag) as a backpack = 50-55lbs total. $1300 (EV 30M) + $200 (Deluxe wheel case) = $1500.

The EV is cheaper, has more inputs out of the box with a digital mixer for wireless mixing, has 1000watts total (500 to the column 500 to the sub) vs Fishmans 330watts, is louder with 123dB max SPL vs the Fishman’s 113dB max SPL, lighter total weight AND you only have to roll 35lbs on wheels and 11lbs on your back vs. the Fishman’s 33lbs on wheels plus hand carry the 30lb sub the whole way to the gig. I will say the Fishman is cheaper/lighter only if you’re just a solo act and don’t need the SA sub (I don’t)... but for a little more money with the EV 30M you can mix your own sound from afar and future proof your purchase in case you do add another band member or even two (I do miss the fun duo/trio gigs).

...It’s not looking good for my wallet either way guys . Staying tuned for how it goes for the users here at their gigs.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:37 PM

Anybody gig this yet?
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Seriously .

I've been checking Sweetwater, Musicians Friend/Guitar Center and other sites for reviews but other than It Was Cool At NAMM comments nothing out there. Right now I'm sitting in front of yet another solo guitar dude using an Evolve 50 (two Saturdays in a row) and it works very well in this medium small space.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Seriously .

I've been checking Sweetwater, Musicians Friend/Guitar Center and other sites for reviews but other than It Was Cool At NAMM comments nothing out there. Right now I'm sitting in front of yet another solo guitar dude using an Evolve 50 (two Saturdays in a row) and it works very well in this medium small space.
Does it capture the surrounding essence of a Bose or is it it’s own thing? I ask because I initially was going to buy the 50 instead of my Bose. When I plugged in an acoustic, I had feedback galore without even having any real volume going on. I did futz a bit with an EQ preset which helped, but I think my initial response was meh.

Now that I’ve had my Bose, I’ve come up with some issues I don’t think the EV would have, which is headroom. There’s a point every time I use it, I sense a random drop in volume, which seems like system compression to me. Of course, there are a few factors that may not be the Bose’s fault, but I don’t have the time to figure it out. I’ve read about issues on the Bose forum which doesn’t instill a lot of confidence.

With all that being said, everyone else who has heard the Bose LOVES it. They love the coverage, the smoothness in sound, etc. To tell you the truth, at this point, I wouldn’t doubt all my perceived issues are just in my head and I’m looking for another excuse to buy more gear. Maybe I’m just so used to playing for years thru conventional speakers, I’ve yet to adapt to the characteristics of a line array.

Sorry for the long post. But if you could tell me the EV is better than the Bose, that would help. Lol.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 02-01-2020, 10:16 PM

Just because the Bose may not sound especially loud to you behind the mike doesn't mean the people in the back of the audience cannot hear it clearly.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
Does it capture the surrounding essence of a Bose or is it it’s own thing?.. if you could tell me the EV is better than the Bose, that would help. Lol.
Can't! For starters this environment wouldn't let the Bose really shine as far as dispersion is concerned--its 180 degrees would be largely wasted in what's kind of a railroad-flat layout, a long narrow shoebox. (Maybe even a disadvantage.) And both the Bose and the 50 have significantly more power than is required for this space. (Oh and FWIW The 50's dispersion is 120 deg., as is the 30M's.)

I can tell you I spoke to the performer tonight and he loves his Evolve 50--though he said he tires of lugging it around in pieces and had high praise for the ol' JBL Eon One and how everything packs up into it.

I have heard the Bose L1 M2, one step up from yours, in a large interior winery, a barn, where dispersion was crucial and it sounded amazing, clear off to each side, which I checked. Two singers playing two guitars, one acoustic, the other electric.

By the way, the fellow using the Evolve 50 tonight was standing maybe four feet directly to its left*, and used headphones to hear his vocal/guitar mix. It sounded very good to me, no distortion, tons of headroom, plenty of presence through the room without blowing away the front row per stick expectations.

[*Edit: I've seen scores of performers in that position relative to their PA, and this is the first time I saw a guy use headphones there, so I'm not saying the 50 uniquely demands it.]

Last edited by Chriscom; 02-01-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Here's the setup I'm talking about. This was last week's singer, hence no headphones. The crowd shot is taken nearly from his perspective--I just swiveled right with my camera. (There's more room behind us though a passageway you can't see, kind of a refuge back there).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sinistral singer space.jpg (46.4 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Sinistral longbox small.jpg (45.5 KB, 256 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification