The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Default DEMO: Ovation OCP1K/Op Pro Studio Preamp & Adamas I 2087GT-8 Reverse Blue Burst

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "My Adamas I 2087GT-8 Custom Reverse Blue Burst with its Ovation OCP-1K/Op Pro Studio preamp amplifies in a wonderful way!" Acoustically, this guitar is a precision instrument that fits well into jazz, folk, and pop music. When amplified, and set up for it, it would be a wonderful live-performance guitar for any kind of music.

Listening to this guitar through my LR Baggs Synapse PA speaker, all I hear is a great balance of low, middle, and treble tones with a clarity most (all?) other pickup systems don't deliver. There's no trying to hear if the mid-range is over-powering the bass and is that muddiness I hear in the upper-bass/lower-mid-range? Everything sounds good!

The demo is a 2020 Adamas 2087-GT Custom Reverse Blue Burst & Ovation OCP-1K Pickup/Op Pro Studio Preamp direct-to-computer via a PreSonus Studio 192 with all guitar preamp and Audacity recording software set FLAT EQ with NO EFFECTS. The flatpick is a Guitar Moose .8mm Classic. The song segment is the guitar backing in Dropped D to bits and pieces of my guitar backing to the vocals for Bob Dylan's "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and "Highway 51":

Thanks for Looking In And Your Thoughts Are Welcomed!

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-15-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward to your sound files Sprucetop. I've always wanted to play an Adamas, I've never seen one in the wild! It seems to be such an innovative instrument.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-26-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

The Demo is a 2020 Adamas 2087GT-8 Custom Reverse Blue Burst and its Ovation OCPK-1 Pickup/Op Pro Studio Preamp direct-to-computer via a PreSonus Studio 192 with all guitar preamp and Audacity recording software set FLAT EQ with NO EFFECTS. The flatpick is a Guitar Moose .8mm Classic. The song segment is the guitar backing in Dropped D to bits and pieces to my guitar backing to the vocals for Bob Dylan's "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and "Highway 51":

Thanks for Looking In And Your Thoughts Are Welcomed!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-13-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the demo Sprucetop. Nice playing and the Adamas sounds good in drop D. I hear the tinest hint of the piezo, but since this sample was recorded flat, a touch of eq will just bring out even better tones.

I owned a bunch of Ovations up thru the 90's and only one had the "full" saddle with the individual piezos under each string, (like on your Adamas) and that particular one was the best sounding amplified. Their thinline saddle piezos which were on my later Ovations did not sound anywhere as good.

Thanks again for sharing.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 02-27-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thanks for the demo Sprucetop. Nice playing and the Adamas sounds good in drop D. I hear the tinest hint of the piezo, but since this sample was recorded flat, a touch of eq will just bring out even better tones.

I owned a bunch of Ovations up thru the 90's and only one had the "full" saddle with the individual piezos under each string, (like on your Adamas) and that particular one was the best sounding amplified. Their thinline saddle piezos which were on my later Ovations did not sound anywhere as good.

Thanks again for sharing.
Thanks, Joe! This guitar is almost electric-guitar-like in its setup and I'm pleased the strings don't rattle on the frets very much when being played aggressively as I've done in the demo. There is a "piezoiness" to the tone as probably 75% of the vibrations are string tone and about 25% is top tone. This enables the guitar to be played quite loud without feeding back. I may redo this demo in Double-Dropped D as Dylan does it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-03-2022, 04:43 PM

I have a huge spot in my heart for nice Ovations. I had an American 2078 Elite that sounded lovely but the neck profile and narrow nut made playing uncomfortable for me, so I sold it. And is so often the case w/Ovation, it was hard to sell and I took a bath on the resale.

That said, if you find the right one, like your lovely Adamas, and you don't have any issues, they're exceptional instruments. I hope they can return to their former state of glory but their constant change of ownership doesn't bid well.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 03-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I have a huge spot in my heart for nice Ovations. I had an American 2078 Elite that sounded lovely but the neck profile and narrow nut made playing uncomfortable for me, so I sold it. And is so often the case w/Ovation, it was hard to sell and I took a bath on the resale.

That said, if you find the right one, like your lovely Adamas, and you don't have any issues, they're exceptional instruments. I hope they can return to their former state of glory but their constant change of ownership doesn't bid well.
Thanks, Mr. ErikJ! Early on, starting with a 1978 Custom Legend, Ovations were a savior for my gigs and I've loved them since. I've come across some Ovations the acoustic tone of which lit up a room with the best of other brands. I've been to the Mother Ship in New Hartford Connecticut, and I too hope for all the best for Ovation in the years to come!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-13-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I just scored a NOS Ovation VIP-5 Preamp. This has 5 Aura Images and is easily swapped in or out for the Op Pro Studio currently in my Adamas 2087GT-8. I'm going to play around with the VIP-5 to hear what it'll do. More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-23-2022, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Look forward to hearing it what it sound like Sprucetop. Always enjoy your demos!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification