The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-22-2022, 07:16 AM

I bought one used at GC a month or so ago. It folds up perfectly and is the most convenient travel solution I have found. The sound is nothing to write home about, it's just ok. But it plays well, stays in tune and, for times when I'd have to go without a guitar, now I can have one. And it fits in an overhead bin on the plane. Heck, it's so easy to carry around I will throw it in the back of the car for an overnighter just in case I get a few minutes to practice. Being CF, I leave it in the trunk in the summer (boot for you folks on the other side of the pond) when I am in a restaurant or out hiking without worry. It assembles and breaks down very easily and I really like the back pack it comes in.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:33 AM

The OF660 is what it is. I should have stated that when I praise the OF660 I'm not comparing it to finely crafted wood instruments. I'm comparing it to carbon fiber guitars that I've played and owned. I cannot throw Emerald into my opinions, but I can throw RainSong, Composite Acoustics, and McPherson in- so not completely coming from ignorance. This guitar is bang for the buck for sure and I'll die on that hill. In other words, while this guitar does not compete with the McPherson Touring it also less than half the cost; while the comparable Touring does not sound twice as expensive.

Its all so subjective anyway. I recommend just trying one if you can.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLatchey View Post
Really appreciate everyone that has taken the time to post!!

I love small bodied guitars in general so I don't think I'd be put off by it sounding thin or weak or quiet as some have mentioned and appreciate all the honest comments both positive and negative !!!
I thought the same when I picked up my RT660 which doesn't sound as small body as the OF but is still quiet.

The quiet however has really bothered me over time. One of the uses for a travel guitar is to take it somewhere and play with other people and with the RT I find it needs an amp along for that. I will add that I played fingerstyle without a pick 99%.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber