The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-25-2021, 01:43 PM

Default Does Emerald Provide an Option for a Chunky Neck on the X20?

I'm considering an Emerald X20, and since I'd prefer a chunky neck, I looked at their website but it doesn't give any neck options. From doing searches here on AGF and around the internet it seems like the X20 only comes with a medium neck.

Do you know if the X20 can be had with a chunky neck? As a reference, I'd say my Martin D7 Roger McGuinn has a chunky neck.

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2021, 02:16 PM

Back when I ordered mine, they offered a custom neck carve for an additional $750. They have since limited the custom options they are willing to do and I don't know if a custom neck carve is still available. Best to shoot them an email and ask.

FWIW, I also prefer fatter necks and I don't have a problem with the stock one. The thickness feel pretty good, not fat, but by no means skinny like the Martin MLO. If I could change it, I'd have some of the shoulder removed, making it more of a C shape, but I can live with it as is.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:22 PM

The stock neck is pretty chunky. How chunky do you want it?
Old 12-27-2021, 07:29 PM

Is there anyone on the forum near Silicon Valley who can let you play theirs? I’m in DC if you ever get out this way. I’ve got an X-20 you can try.
Emerald X-20
Fender Tele Gatton model
Old 12-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
I agree, the neck on my 2019 Emerald X-20 is the only feature I wish I could change as gets too wide for me to properly thumb-fret as I go up the neck.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-30-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
OP here.

I'd like the chunkiness to be similar to my Martin D-7, which IIRC is about the same as a D-28. I have very large hands with thick fingers and prefer chunky to medium or thin.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I agree, the neck on my 2019 Emerald X-20 is the only feature I wish I could change as gets too wide for me to properly thumb-fret as I go up the neck.
My experience as well with the X30 I tried recently. I’m considering a custom build X20 with a slightly more narrow neck width, 1 11/16th instead of their standard 1 3/4. Hoping this makes a difference in playability. Not sure why they don’t just offer a standard C shape.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I recall reading a post not too long ago where someone ordered an X20 with a 1-3/4" nut, but a narrower neck than their default. It seems to me that they leave an extra margin between the outer strings and the edge of the neck. I inquired about having that done after I'd put in my order, but was told it was too far along in the build to mess with the neck. So, they didn't say they wouldn't do it - just that they couldn't on mine. You might email Emerald and ask about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
My experience as well with the X30 I tried recently. I’m considering a custom build X20 with a slightly more narrow neck width, 1 11/16th instead of their standard 1 3/4. Hoping this makes a difference in playability. Not sure why they don’t just offer a standard C shape.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I recall reading a post not too long ago where someone ordered an X20 with a 1-3/4" nut, but a narrower neck than their default. It seems to me that they leave an extra margin between the outer strings and the edge of the neck. I inquired about having that done after I'd put in my order, but was told it was too far along in the build to mess with the neck. So, they didn't say they wouldn't do it - just that they couldn't on mine. You might email Emerald and ask about it.
Thanks for mentioning that! I’ll see what they say. My Composite Acoustics Legacy has a 1 3/4 but is more of a C profile and easier to play for me. A narrower profile would probably work for me, even with a 1 3/4 nut.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
they leave an extra margin between the outer strings and the edge of the neck.
This is the one thing I would change on mine, if I had it to do over again.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I took another look through the forum and found the earlier post about a custom neck width. Here is the link.

Maybe if enough people ask Emerald about this they will include neck width as an option, or might consider reducing the standard width.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I took another look through the forum and found the earlier post about a custom neck width. Here is the link.

Maybe if enough people ask Emerald about this they will include neck width as an option, or might consider reducing the standard width.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they did. Alistair seems to have an eye toward trying new approaches and staying adaptive as a business. Offering 4-5 standard neck profiles would cost time and money to implement in the near term but very successful over time.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
It wouldn’t surprise me if they did. Alistair seems to have an eye toward trying new approaches and staying adaptive as a business. Offering 4-5 standard neck profiles would cost time and money to implement in the near term but very successful over time.
I'm guessing Emerald will do the opposite. Seems that they have gone from the company who would make almost anything (and could), to pairing down options to what you see on the builder. Obviously things can change in the future (or they may do "one-offs" for a price), but I think Alistair realized he needed to streamline manufacturing until major growth happens. And even if major growth did happen, what does that look like? Even companies that build thousands of guitars per year need to streamline their processes and why, say Taylor, has one neck profile with 2 different nut widths.

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-12-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Emerald, and other newer guitar companies, need to beg, borrow or steal a newish Martin, Taylor, or Gibson acoustic guitar and measure their neck geometries and make their necks similar but vary a couple of thousandths of an inch here or there to avoid any law suits!

Now, don't get me started on Emerald's wire-guide placement on the top and backs for the acoustic-electric installations in their the guitars! MEMO TO EMERALD & OTHER MAKERS: ALWAYS PLACE WIRE GUIDES AND WIRE ROUTING ON THE SIDES OF YOUR GUITARS, NOT ON THE TOP OR BACK!!!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-12-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'm guessing Emerald will do the opposite. Seems that they have gone from the company who would make almost anything (and could), to pairing down options to what you see on the builder. Obviously things can change in the future (or they may do "one-offs" for a price), but I think Alistair realized he needed to streamline manufacturing until major growth happens. And even if major growth did happen, what does that look like? Even companies that build thousands of guitars per year need to streamline their processes and why, say Taylor, has one neck profile with 2 different nut widths.
Great points. He can only afford so much innovation. At the end of the day he’s a businessman and has to maintain a business model that lets him keep it in the black.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber