The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Here is mine. A 1995 just back from a re-fret. Other than that all original and really great!
Beautiful 335 & the refret tells us pickers you’ve put some time on that fingerboard & I’m ‘assuming’ lots of great memories and satisfaction.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:06 PM

Interesting that you would post this, Dale. I’ve been sniffing around the electric selection lately, thinking I should have at least one good HB electric again. The 335 is on my radar screen. Such an iconic piece and knowing you, I’m sure this particular one lives deep in your heart.

Thanks for sharing the story, and I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s passing.
Roger
Old 01-19-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Interesting that you would post this, Dale. I’ve been sniffing around the electric selection lately, thinking I should have at least one good HB electric again. The 335 is on my radar screen. Such an iconic piece and knowing you, I’m sure this particular one lives deep in your heart.

Thanks for sharing the story, and I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s passing.
Roger
Hello sir!

There is just something about HB’s isn’t there! I’ve never had a 335..this guitar is something very special. I remember sitting across from Bill when we played looking at it. We talked about our fave players. The guitar also reminds me life is short - within some kind of reason enjoy it because it’s fleeting.

I hope you guys are very well & look forward to our next visit! If you find the just right HB I’d love to hear about it!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:03 AM

Here's my 1984 ES-335 Dot Reissue. The highly regarded Tim Shaw PAFs are so, so good.

And a quick video of it in action:
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-22-2022, 09:51 AM

My electric favs are teles and 335s. So, I like tele single coil sounds and I like HB sounds, just depends on the mood. Both of them call to me at different times. Would not be without a 335. I wish I could say I have lots of memories with the one I have now, but I haven't had it that long - a little over a year. I did not bond with it at first, there was something about the frets and the setup I really disliked. I had a pro setup, leveling and crowning/polishing done that helped some, but that still did not do it for me. So, I decided that it is such a great example, and the same build year as when I was married, that it was worth it to me to refret it and get rid of the nibs. I just picked it up from the luthier a week ago. At the luthiers shop, as soon as I picked it up and played it - it was instant love. The luthier commented on how nice it is. He told me that they do lots of pickup swaps on these to Lollar imperials. Lollar pickups are super nice - but it has Classic 57s in it and I like 'em, so doubt I will mess with swapping them out.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Here's my 1984 ES-335 Dot Reissue. The highly regarded Tim Shaw PAFs are so, so good.

And a quick video of it in action:
Great post thx for sharing!
Old 01-22-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
My electric favs are teles and 335s. So, I like tele single coil sounds and I like HB sounds, just depends on the mood. Both of them call to me at different times. Would not be without a 335. I wish I could say I have lots of memories with the one I have now, but I haven't had it that long - a little over a year. I did not bond with it at first, there was something about the frets and the setup I really disliked. I had a pro setup, leveling and crowning/polishing done that helped some, but that still did not do it for me. So, I decided that it is such a great example, and the same build year as when I was married, that it was worth it to me to refret it and get rid of the nibs. I just picked it up from the luthier a week ago. At the luthiers shop, as soon as I picked it up and played it - it was instant love. The luthier commented on how nice it is. He told me that they do lots of pickup swaps on these to Lollar imperials. Lollar pickups are super nice - but it has Classic 57s in it and I like 'em, so doubt I will mess with swapping them out.
Love to see it!
Old 01-22-2022, 01:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:

Ah, the Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel. I visited while out there many moons ago. Was it holding water when you were there?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-22-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Ah, the Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel. I visited while out there many moons ago. Was it holding water when you were there?

Bob
HA! Too funny. That building leaked like a sieve....so it's closed and going through a four-year, $50M renovation. I was a chaplain at the AF Academy from 2015-2017 so I played guitar and spoke in that Chapel many times. I can remember one sermon where snow melt was dripping from the ceiling directly onto my notes. Fond memories.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 01-22-2022, 02:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
HA! Too funny. That building leaked like a sieve....so it's closed and going through a four-year, $50M renovation. I was a chaplain at the AF Academy from 2015-2017 so I played guitar and spoke in that Chapel many times. I can remember one sermon where snow melt was dripping from the ceiling directly onto my notes. Fond memories.
Sounds like my wedding day. The A/C broke down and leaked into the chapel right onto the stage where we were going to stand. Were you contract or AF?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Sounds like my wedding day. The A/C broke down and leaked into the chapel right onto the stage where we were going to stand. Were you contract or AF?

Bob
AF...still am, just not stationed there anymore.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 01-31-2022, 10:27 PM

Got my blonde in the late 80s as a gift !!. Serial # indicates build date of 10/4/88. Played it into the 90s then it went into the case into the closet. Came out of the closet a few months back and has been played nearly daily (as my fingertips will attest). Actually do primarily finger picking on it nowadays. Sounds a lot better with a Gibson pick, but thats the way it goes.
Don't think I can post a photo, but it's a blonde that shows some years of being played hard. I'm ok with that.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford52 View Post
Got my blonde in the late 80s as a gift !!. Serial # indicates build date of 10/4/88. Played it into the 90s then it went into the case into the closet. Came out of the closet a few months back and has been played nearly daily (as my fingertips will attest). Actually do primarily finger picking on it nowadays. Sounds a lot better with a Gibson pick, but thats the way it goes.
Don't think I can post a photo, but it's a blonde that shows some years of being played hard. I'm ok with that.
Thanks for sharing..I can relate, as I’m sure many players can, how a certain guitar we have sometimes gets a ‘break’ as our preference changes. Sounds like you have a really nice 335!
Old 02-01-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
Thanks for sharing..I can relate, as I’m sure many players can, how a certain guitar we have sometimes gets a ‘break’ as our preference changes. Sounds like you have a really nice 335!
Thanks maple. Actually, took a complete break from music for 26 years. Didn't even whistle. I get the feeling that is also common for folks. As is the reawakening.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:21 PM

I just picked up my second ES-335....well, technically it's a 355, so maybe it doesn't qualify. But it's too pretty not to share.

This specimen is a 2018 ES-355 Figured from the Memphis plant, before they closed. Basically Wildwood specs and weights just a touch over 7 lbs.

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars