The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-08-2022, 06:40 PM

Default Weird New Fret Buzz

I was playing my Breedlove Signature Companion Copper CE this evening and noticed all of a sudden that I'm getting some fret buzz on the D and G strings at the 11th fret (with a little hint at the 10th). It's only those two strings, and that one location.

I've eyeballed it, and when the light gets better may take a fret guide to it, but here's a thing:

The weather here has been warm, then cold, then warm and cold again. Of all my guitars, this Breedlove seems to be more susceptible to changes in humidity and environment. It's Torrefied European Spruce and African Mahogany, if that makes a difference. I left it in my humidified guitar room for a week or more because I'd started feeling fret sprout (re-humidifying solved that problem). Could this be yet another humidity issue? I'm taking it back the guitar room again, but I found this fret buzz to be sudden and curious.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:55 AM

The 12th fret might have popped
up just a tiny bit in the center. It could be humidity related, or not. Use a fret rocker and also see if it goes away when you maintain a nice humidity for awhile.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
The 12th fret might have popped
up just a tiny bit in the center. It could be humidity related, or not. Use a fret rocker and also see if it goes away when you maintain a nice humidity for awhile.
Thanks! I have a fret rocker (I've never needed to use it before; now I may be happy I have it!).

Currently, the guitar is "marinating" in my humidified guitar room. I'll see if that addresses the problem.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

It's bound to be humidity related. I live in Northern Virginia as well and like you said the weather has been crazy. It was literally 68 degrees one day and snowed 8 inches the next. It's now 25 degrees out with a dew point of 10.

I have a guitar that gets a buzz on the first two strings at the sixth fret every year in the winter. Just pushing down on the seventh fret hard with my finger is enough to re-seat the fret and eliminate the buzz for a few weeks. Give it a try if your guitar is still buzzing after being stabilized.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Thanks! I have a fret rocker (I've never needed to use it before; now I may be happy I have it!).
Many people own a combination square or can buy a decent small one for a reasonable price. If you loosen the nut and remove the straight edge/ruler portion you will be left with 3 different short straight edges that can be used as a nice fret rocker along your fingerboard. It can then be returned to use as a handy combination square.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb...ion_square.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair