The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 PM

Default Martin Custom OO padauk

I played this at Tobias Music and A/B'd it with my Eastman OO. The Martin had a high altitude European spruce top, according to Tobias. It was $3999. My Eastman is $799.
The Martin is, not surprisingly, a clearly finer instrument. The amount of bass I heard defied the laws of physics. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I strummed my Eastman right after, my mind said, "Sounds nice and even, but plain Jane." And the Martin's body has slightly less depth. The Eastman has new Elixir 80/20 lights, and the Martin has Martin retro lights. I'll try the Retros, but I'm skeptical that this is the missing ingredient.
I'm depressed.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
The amount of bass I heard defied the laws of physics.
I love when that happens.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:58 PM

Not a fair comparison
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I'll try the Retros, but I'm skeptical that this is the missing ingredient.
I'm depressed.
Many of my dreams in the hour of the wolf take a similar shape.

Our purpose on this planet is to resolve these issues.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

How was the sustain on the Martin? I recently got a Halcyon SJ with Padauk back/sides, and the sustain is out of this world ... the builder I think attributed it to the Padauk. Overall nice even tone between the Padauk, Lutz Spruce and his build, but the sustain shocks everyone who plays it ... got a variety of amplified characteristics, which may explain the shock. Ooohhh, bad pun.

But I've never seen a Martin Padauk guitar live, only in pictures. I'm surprised the wood is not used more often. It's striking. Here's an example:

HalcyonSJ_side.jpg
HalcyonSJ_back.jpg

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10-24-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I played this at Tobias Music and A/B'd it with my Eastman OO. The Martin had a high altitude European spruce top, according to Tobias. It was $3999. My Eastman is $799.
The Martin is, not surprisingly, a clearly finer instrument. The amount of bass I heard defied the laws of physics. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I strummed my Eastman right after, my mind said, "Sounds nice and even, but plain Jane." And the Martin's body has slightly less depth. The Eastman has new Elixir 80/20 lights, and the Martin has Martin retro lights. I'll try the Retros, but I'm skeptical that this is the missing ingredient.
I'm depressed.
The Martin is a great guitar. The bass response of a Martin is their signature. I love strumming a Martin and hearing that Martin bass that's often associated with classic country and bluegrass.

Last edited by Kitkatjoe; 10-24-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:07 AM

I'm glad to hear that the Martin 00 Padduk beats the Eastman. I'm worried that the taste for the latters will seriously damage the better makes' employement schedule; they do copies or iterations of the most iconic models they can find (Gibson's J 45, L-00s.., SJ-200s even I saw recently, Martin's D-28s, D-18s, and so on), all at a better price .
Padduk seems to be a genuinely very good wood for guitars' backs and sides : several years ago, I tried a luthier's nylon strings guitar that remains in my memory as one of the three guitars I liked the most probably, among all the nylon strings I've ever played...It's no surprise that it works well on steel strings too (though it seems very rarely used like Pj Roberts noted)...
Don't be depressed, great guitars are usually expensive (even very expensive) but rewarding once you've got one...
Old 10-24-2019, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm depressed.
Well, a 00 is a grand concert was not designed to be bass biased - maybe those coated strings didn't show the Eastman to its best.
Anyway, as Chris Martin says - "when you get a new guitar - that's the worst its ever going to sound!"
Old 10-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Well the good news is it's down to $3400 now lol.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Not a fair comparison
Although you’ll see plenty of posts asserting someone’s $800 Eastman is just as good as a $5k Martin. One thing for certain they are both guitars.🤣
Old 10-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
How was the sustain on the Martin? I recently got a Halcyon SJ with Padauk back/sides, and the sustain is out of this world ... the builder I think attributed it to the Padauk. Overall nice even tone between the Padauk, Lutz Spruce and his build, but the sustain shocks everyone who plays it ... got a variety of amplified characteristics, which may explain the shock. Ooohhh, bad pun.

But I've never seen a Martin Padauk guitar live, only in pictures. I'm surprised the wood is not used more often. It's striking. Here's an example:

Attachment 28614
Attachment 28615
I found the sustain on the Martin neither lacking or remarkable. I heard a deep, dry woody sound that would be a singer's dream. This Martin is bad!
When I played my Eastman for the first time, my mind said, "Oh yes!" With the Martin, I said, "What?" I really didn't want to hear something that blew my guitar away. The $2000 Taylor OOs in the other room didn't.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-24-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 10-24-2019, 12:18 PM

I can't say I'm surprised although a small body guitar with a bass response that defies physics? Sounds like my dream guitar!

I still haven't gotten over the custom d-18 I played one time. Didn't have my standard to compare it to though. But there's always the what ifs. But the money wasn't there and I wasn't sure I was willing to trade in my standard and then some cash on top of that. I haven't been back to that shop since and I'm afraid to. If it's gone, I'll be disappointed and I know it has to be gone by now. Sigh...

Old 10-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
I can't say I'm surprised although a small body guitar with a bass response that defies physics? Sounds like my dream guitar!

I still haven't gotten over the custom d-18 I played one time. Didn't have my standard to compare it to though. But there's always the what ifs. But the money wasn't there and I wasn't sure I was willing to trade in my standard and then some cash on top of that. I haven't been back to that shop since and I'm afraid to. If it's gone, I'll be disappointed and I know it has to be gone by now. Sigh...
That custom D-18 wasn't in Nashville by chance cause I either played the same one or one similar.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Comparison is the thief of joy- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 10-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
That custom D-18 wasn't in Nashville by chance cause I either played the same one or one similar.
Portland OR. Adi-top, GE bracing. It seemed to be D-18 on steroids but without comparing it to my standard, I'll never know and I'm not sure I want to know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion