The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Have a dedicated guitar room and everything's on String Swings... not one issue going on 9 yrs. now.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
You always hear “don’t leave your leather strap on your guitar in your case.” I’ve often wondered why. Is there a potential reaction between guitar finish and tanning chemicals? Or just a scratching issue?
I've been wondering this myself.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM

String Swings, here.

I used to have 6 on one wall...sold off a couple guitars...and reworked the room a bit. I did notice that one of the mounts had just started pulling away from the drywall, when I removed it. Bad on me for not using Wall Dawg anchors.

Anyway...

I built a simple wood frame, trimmed it out, stained it, and mounted that to the studs on that same wall. I then mounted the String Swings directly to the wood frame I installed...and it works like a champ. Solid as a rock, no damage to the finish on any of my guitars, and looks pretty sharp.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Without question the best wall hanger (IMO) is the Off-the-Wall HEAVY DUTY wall hanger. It is a little wider than their standard wall hanger, but has cloth sleeves on it (the regular ones do not have the sleeves).
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-guitar-hanger MF has a 25% off sale going right now.

Why OTW??? 1) It utilizes THREE screws to fasten to the wall rather than two. If you use anchors rather than molly bolts it is less likely to pull out of the wall (though only heavy basses will tend to do that, not so much light weight acoustics). 2) The holder is shaped so you have to lift it up about 3/8"-1/2" to take the guitar off the hanger, but doesn't need to depend on wingy-thingys like the Hecrules type. 3) They are exceptionally well constructed. They do not feel cheap like some others. 4) The Heavy Duty version has that protective cloth sleeve. And while I've never had an issue with the regular version marring guitars, it gives extra protection and can handle a wide variety of guitar widths. I bought one wide one to handle my 6 string bass and still my acoustics hang on it nicely. If you can get them for $15 with the discount, now is the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acoustics_four.jpg (28.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg wallhanger_wide.jpg (111.8 KB, 43 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM

I use the String Swing hangers for all five of my acoustic guitars. They work great. I’ve never had an issue in the three years since I hung them up.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiekimi View Post
After checking out a few options, I decided to create my own out of some 'barnwood' (stained pine) I picked up from Home Depot. A jigsaw, some determination, and a couple of beers later I had my guitars stored and out of the way...

Hi Kikiekimi, that looks like a very good idea!

I've been thinking of making a guitar wall as I don't play out so much nowadays. and could only really find Hercules items which would work out pretty expensive.

I was also wondering where to stow their accompanying pick boxes.

Could you give us more detail about the way you have designed the clasps and holders please?

Also - that is a very pretty Gretsch slot head on the RHS - what model is that? Can't find anything like it online!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
" Off the Wall Hangar"

Only ones with 3 set screws, and great with nitro.

imho
This! They are great! Much more secure with the 3 set screws.
I've had the Hercules and like these much better.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 PM

I used these 4-screw type without any noticeable effect on the finish. Be sure to use wall anchors or screw into a stud. Don't know if they would be safe for all finishes over an extended period, however.

s-l225.jpg
Old 10-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard man View Post
I thought the Hercules ones used to be good to go with nitro? Maybe I'm just getting old.
No issues with Hercules for me. I have one heavy electric that has been hanging for over 15 years with no marks. It is a good idea to bolt to studs if the guitar is heavy. No issues with my acoustics with the 3 hole hanger and good drywall anchors.

Lee
Old 10-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Also - that is a very pretty Gretsch slot head on the RHS - what model is that? Can't find anything like it online!
I think that's one of their new "Roots series" models. theres three different ones, all quite similar. I have one of the non-slot heads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion