The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Sorry. Double post.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
No they were not the same animal - at least not until the very last J-35s built in 1941/42 when Gibson settled on the combination of features that would be the J45/50.. Prior to that, the J-35 had un-scalloped bracing and either two or three tones bars sometimes scalloped sometimes not all depending on the year. If you have ever played one you would have heard possibly the most midrangey guitar on the planet.
Thanks for the education! How much did the banners vary?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Thanks for the education! How much did the banners vary?
That’s a whole nother question. I’ve seen an all Mahogany J 45 banner. Do I also remember a laminated maple back J 45 banner?

John Thomas’ book Kalamazoo Gals is a required reference book for all things Banner.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-14-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
That’s a whole nother question. I’ve seen an all Mahogany J 45 banner. Do I also remember a laminated maple back J 45 banner?

John Thomas’ book Kalamazoo Gals is a required reference book for all things Banner.
Thanks, Jim!

The holy grail in the land of vintage Martins is the one-of-a-kind guitar. The holy grail in the land of vintage Gibsons would be to find 2 alike!

The Banners varied a lot, even more than pre-WWII Gibsons. This was due to 1) changing wartime restrictions on the use of certain materials and 2) an inexperienced (but amazingly talented) workforce.

There were all mahogany J-45s, J-45s with laminated maple backs and sides, and J-45s with maple backs and mahogany sides, and vice versa.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Thanks, Jim!

The holy grail in the land of vintage Martins is the one-of-a-kind guitar. The holy grail in the land of vintage Gibsons would be to find 2 alike!

The Banners varied a lot, even more than pre-WWII Gibsons. This was due to 1) changing wartime restrictions on the use of certain materials and 2) an inexperienced (but amazingly talented) workforce.

There were all mahogany J-45s, J-45s with laminated maple backs and sides, and J-45s with maple backs and mahogany sides, and vice versa.
Again, I thank you for helping me figure out my rather odd Banner J-50. The guy who restored it for me is a second generation luthier who has seen more than his fair share of 1930s and 1940s Martins and Gibsons. After a full year when he finally handed it back to me he did so with the words "Never let this guitar out of your hands."

What your book did was to give me a far greater appreciation of my guitar. After you read the book you do not as much feel like you own a Banner but rather have been entrusted with one to take care of. No other guitar on the face of the planet speaks more eloquently to a specific time and place as a Banner.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Again, I thank you for helping me figure out my rather odd Banner J-50. The guy who restored it for me is a second generation luthier who has seen more than his fair share of 1930s and 1940s Martins and Gibsons. After a full year when he finally handed it back to me he did so with the words "Never let this guitar out of your hands."

What your book did was to give me a far greater appreciation of my guitar. After you read the book you do not as much feel like you own a Banner but rather have been entrusted with one to take care of. No other guitar on the face of the planet speaks more eloquently to a specific time and place as a Banner.
Thank you! This means a lot to me.

Your guitar is beyond cool. It really tells the whole story, not just of the Gals, but of the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, gibson j-45, true vintage