The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 03:39 PM

I was born in Missouri and spent many years living there, and I spent the better part of a summer in Taiwan, Hong Kong but mostly Japan.

Tokyo and Nagoya in the summer are as sweltering and sticky as Missouri. The air quality tends to be better in Missouri, but Japan has sidewalk vending machines that sell cold beer.

So it balances out....

whm
Old 11-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Several points: 1) Alvarez Yairi's are either solid top with layered sides or solid top with solid sides (in their Masterworks line); 2) In my experience they can be exceptional for Chinese made (or any make for that matter) especially in their Artist or Masterworks lines. The Masterworks versions, IMO, are stellar and can top almost any brand within the $500 - $800 range; 3) The Yairi impact on the "downstream" lines is real and should not be discounted.

All this being said, I don't find that Alvarez has a specific "sound". The two I own sound great but very different - one being a Mahogany Dread and the other a Cedar/Rosewood GA. The others I have played in my local shop also sound very nice but with no real commonality of tone.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:38 PM

I own an Alvarez/Yairi DY-71, cedar over koa. This is one outstanding guitar, bright and clear and very easy to play. This is the only guitar that I ever bought, or set my mind to buy that I did not play...but heard someone playing in the acoustic room. When they put it down I picked it up and bought it on the spot. Its very hard to put an exact "sound" that it has, but it is distinct...Martin players will know its not one in a few seconds. I cant speak for the Taylor, Guild guys out there. Even the older none Yairi Alvarez guitars are pretty nice sounding and inexpensive as they dont get the press that "M" and "T" guitars get.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
Okay, so not a lot of love for alvarez out there. I'll have to make a point to get to a music store and try out a martin and a few other "top" brands. I've tried them before, but that was when I could barely strum a chord, and wouldn't even know what to listen to. I'm a quite bit better now.

Every time I come on a forum, doesn't matter what the topic (AVRS, banjos, fedoras, watches) you experienced posters always always advise me to go up several prices points, and make me feel like I'm screwing myself over by wasting my time and money if I don't.
I'd say there's plenty of love for Alvarez around here. But it's not for a "distinct" high end sound as much as they're one of the brands (maybe along with Yamaha) that make very very nice affordable guitars. I have one of their parlor models (more like a 00 in reality) that I paid about $300 for. It doesn't compete in terms of sound with my Martin 000 or my Emerald parlor model, but it's a fine guitar and an amazing value. When I played several inexpensive guitars one day, it stood out for both sound and playability. I love it, but it's not all that distinct sounding, just good...

-Ray
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 PM

Default What Makes The Alvarez Sound Distinct?

I recently stumbled upon an Alvarez MD60BG that I bought b-stock for a great price. I’ve seen people compare it to an affordable D-18. I’ve never played a D-18, and would likely not compare the two, but I can tell you the Alvarez is fantastic. I liked it so much, and was so impressed, I bought a second one for my office - another b-stock refurb - equivalent in every way to the first.

To be honest, I prefer playing the Alvarez more than my J15 or Yamaha LL16. Better low end thump and I like the nut width and neck better. It sounds better than my more expensive guitars and plays like butter. I won’t suggest all Alvarez guitars are home runs, but I am very impressed by mine.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 11-13-2019, 03:42 AM

I’m the Alvarez guy in the room. I have had nine of them.
Currently I have five.
There is no distinct “Alvarez sound”.
I have had two AJ60 models. I bought them because they have a Gibson type growl, at a tenth the cost.
The MD70 and Yairi GY1 have a Martin type tone, only more balanced. Again at a fraction of the price.

If your budget is tight, or you have a more frugal lifestyle, Alvarez guitars give you good solid tone, and good “working man” playability at a price point that makes your guitars easy to replace if something happens to them.
It’s a lot easier to take if your Alvarez gets destroyed on a gig, than if your Martin gets destroyed.

Granted, they are good instruments and if you get the stellar ones, they will evoke the same feelings some folks have for their D28’s etc.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion