The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
The OP's OM28 has the endpin in the guitar case. Many new guitars come with the endpin in the case. I bought a Martin a few years back and the salesman put the endpin in the hole, without using glue, and then lifted the guitar and banged it hard on the counter top. I envisioned the endpin splitting the bottom of the guitar. I asked him if that could damage the guitar. The salesman said, "Na, I always do it that way".
Also the endpin that is supplied on mine is difficult to insert, in fact if I had to decide to insert it I would probably restrict a little plastic from the conical part. Also considering that in my case it would merely have the aesthetic function of closing the hole, so it should not bear any weight.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andcon74 View Post
Also the endpin that is supplied on mine is difficult to insert, in fact if I had to decide to insert it I would probably restrict a little plastic from the conical part.
Rather than risk destroying the circularity/conicality of the pin, I’d ream a couple of thou out of the endpin-hole using a 5-deg reamer.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-01-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Could happen, but it won’t be me waving the drill about - I’ll take it to someone who knows stuff about drilling holes in a guitar’s butt!
Send it to me in the Cotswolds... I'll take care of it... promise!

Actually, all this talk might have cost me. There's a Brook dealer about 45 minutes from me. I put a returnable deposit down on a Martin, but I might just have to check out a Brook or two first.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Send it to me in the Cotswolds... I'll take care of it... promise!
Errrrrrmmm.....fuggeddit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Actually, all this talk might have cost me. There's a Brook dealer about 45 minutes from me. I put a returnable deposit down on a Martin, but I might just have to check out a Brook or two first.
They’re very, very different beasts, Arthur! I’d strongly recommend you get thee hence to the dealer and try before you buy. Beautifully built and finished guitars, but very different-sounding to a Martin. You could also check out Coda in Stevenage, they currently have five Brook guitars including a very nice ‘Tamar’ (which I almost bought), and a fabulous all-figured-mahogany ‘Lyn’... https://www.coda-music.com/acoustic-...-mahogany.html

Apologies to the OP for the thread-drift...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 11-01-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM

It won't hurt the guitar, but some of the sound will surely leak out the hole.

But there is a simple solution: tape a solo cup to the guitar (use painters tape) just below the hole so the sound will be amplified by the depth of the cup.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Sitting or standing, I need that ergonomic advantage of a strap to help position the frets at a height where my hand has the greatest mobility and strength.

Playing off my thigh becomes annoying after a few minutes. I keep straps and strap loops on my hanging guitars so they're quick to grab and play.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion