The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
- rather than raise the action just swap out the high E string (usually .011 or .012) to a .013, .014 or even a .015. The higher tension on this string alone makes it act like a stiff little "fence-wire" ...
Great information, thanks.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Ry used an old Harmony guitar for the Paris Texas soundtrack
Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Ry used an old Harmony guitar for the Paris Texas soundtrack
Apparently, even Ry Cooder can't remember what he used, but his guitar repair man says he used a 1950s Martin 000-18.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Hi. I'm looking for suggestions for a cheap USED ACOUSTIC guitar that I can set up exclusively for slide playing - I'd like to play like Ry Cooder.... yeah, I'm joking, but I love his laid back playing.

Never really played slide before apart from dabbling with the theme from 'Paris Texas', but I don't know what's the best body size and shape for Ry Cooder-ish music. Not too tight on the nut.

I'm guessing to start with it'll make life easier with 13-56's set up high-ish? I play 99% bare fingers, if that makes any difference.

(I just bought a Martin DRSG, which is my only guitar, so I don't want to mess with that.)

Thanks.
Look into playing a few used Gretsch Bobcat Dobro/resophonic type. They could be had close to your price point .. Got mine. Love it
Old 10-30-2019, 04:57 AM

The acoustic I use for slide falls partially into the cliche. I bought a cheapo Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day (ESP LTD - $100) when I wanted a beater guitar. Was not all that great, even after setting it up. It did have a sweet old-timey tone in double dropped-D or open-D. It's a bit of a pain as I set it up before discovering it's new purpose as my slide box. Kind of a challenge to play slide on it, but it's doable after a bit of rehearsing. I could loosen relief, put a bigger nut,Saddle, tighter strings or even a nut spacer on it, though.

fwiw, I listened to the reference track mentioned by the OP - Ry Cooder's "Paris Texas" - and my ears tell me it sounded as if a decent guitar was used. I was expecting the opposite.
2020 Gibson SJ-200 Pre-War Collection Rosewood
2018 Martin D-41
2018 Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2021 Gibson Les Paul (Wildwood Spec)
2021 Gibson ES-335 Figured Maple Cherry
2021 Fender CS Ltd 1951 Broadcaster 70th
2020 PRS Vela HB
Old 10-30-2019, 05:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Hi. I'm looking for suggestions for a cheap USED ACOUSTIC guitar that I can set up exclusively for slide playing - I'd like to play like Ry Cooder.... yeah, I'm joking, but I love his laid back playing.

Never really played slide before apart from dabbling with the theme from 'Paris Texas', but I don't know what's the best body size and shape for Ry Cooder-ish music. Not too tight on the nut.

I'm guessing to start with it'll make life easier with 13-56's set up high-ish? I play 99% bare fingers, if that makes any difference.

(I just bought a Martin DRSG, which is my only guitar, so I don't want to mess with that.)

Thanks.
Hey - great that you're dabbling with slide! It brings a whole new and fun palette of tone to your playing.

First up, get yourself a decent slide - your slide is a vital tone-producing part of the instrument, not just a means of playing the notes. It should be comfortable with enough mass to contact the strings.

Once mass has been taken care of, the surface of the slide is the next most important factor in the tone it will produce - way more important than what it is made from. For the best, clean sound with minimal scratchy string noise you need something perfectly smooth and highly-polished.

Get your slide sorted first, then see if you need a dedicated slide guitar; I don't have one, nor do many prominent players like Martin Simpson, and many of my customers have found their money far better spent on a quality slide.

Here's why:

If your slide is too light or makes an imperfect contact with the string (for example, due to a rough surface), you will need to use more pressure to get a good, clean note. This pressure deflects the string towards the fingerboard, just like fretting, and you will need to raise the action and/or use heavier gauge strings to stop the slide fretting out (hitting the frets).

A heavier, polished slide makes a fantastic contact with the string with virtually no pressure. Not only does this mean you can play more fluidly with less effort - the weight of the slide does the work for you - you can achieve perfect tone with your preferred string gauge and setup.

Choosing a slide can be tricky - there are a multitude of materials, sizes and designs. Remember though: the way a slide is made is more important than what it is made from. I've heard it said that steel slides sound harsh and scartchy on acoustic. If they're not smoothed and polished properly that may be the case, but a properly made and hand-polished steel slide sounds like magic!

Diamond Bottlenecks make some of - if not the - best authentic glass bottlenecks and handblown crystal slides in the world. Their glass is much denser than the cheap pyrex slides you'll find in many music stores, they are properly finished and polished and sound sublime. Wolfram Slides focus on steel (plain or coated) and tungsten carbide metal slides.

Good luck with your journey into slide guitar - it's a lot of fun!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion